Few questions from beginner.

Long means to have bought, to be an owner of an asset, in the hope its value will rise, allowing me to sell at a higher price later.

Short means the opposite, to have taken a position which will run into profit if the value falls. e.g. I recently placed a spreadbet that the value of the Euro would fall compared with the $. The further the ratio fell, the more profit was made as this was a spreadbet, i.e. a bet not just on direction, up or down, but also on the distance , downwards in this case.

Uptrend is a progression of rising prices over a timeframe (personally defined). There are various objective definitions drawn from what you see on a price chart, none of them is exclusive, but a useful pattern to seek out is a succession of higher highs and higher lows (price does not move upwards in a straight line like a 45 degree slope up the chart towards top right, it takes say 3 steps up, then 2 down then 3 up then 2 down etc. Each high should be higher than the last high, each low higher than the last low.

Reverse this for a downtrend.

In any case, bear in mind what is an uptrending share to you and me over the last 26 weeks might be a downtrending share to a daytrader over the last 26 hours.

Sorry Tomorton, can you explain in simple words what means "long", "short", "uptrend" and "downtrend" :) :) ?

I'm beginning to think Linas is on a bit of a wind-up. :idea:

Find it difficult to believe someone can be so unaware of the market before investing 10K.

How old are you Linas?

I don't find it at all hard to believe new entrants are so uninformed. It is so easy to put money into this industry.

Spot on. Hence I gave up on this thread. Plus I couldn't take the zillion immature smilies per each and every response.

Strange you should say that as the smiles gave it away for me too.

One min he is grumpy about 50 STAMP duty next his all smiles about 500 loss on his capital.

Wastes his time and everyone elses and no doubt thinks himself hilarious.

Lil **** has yet to discover the opposite sex. W!

Still long Persimmon. Looking to pyramid if it has a good day today.

Wish I'd posted what I was thinking earlier in the week - what Tory Chancellor on the run in to an Election is not going to help house buyers and house builders in the Budget?

worry less about my smiles or other emotions! My story is real! And don't offer me opposite sex as i'm not english or american, we don't tolerate that ;)

on Persimmon shares - they are high, it might happen same as with my Bellway :) Even HL broker forecast to sell them now ;)

worry less about my smiles or other emotions! My story is real! And don't offer me opposite sex as i'm not english or american, we don't tolerate that ;)

on Persimmon shares - they are high, it might happen same as with my Bellway :) Even HL broker forecast to sell them now ;)

sorry, misread about opposite sex :D thought you said same sex, sorry :)

Still long Persimmon. Looking to pyramid if it has a good day today.

Wish I'd posted what I was thinking earlier in the week - what Tory Chancellor on the run in to an Election is not going to help house buyers and house builders in the Budget?

Ouch. Tried to pyramid this but ended up instead of b/e on single position, net loss of half original position across the two. Still, you need some losers in order to get some winners.....