Females make better traders ?

As a man I agree with you, Calinor...

However, if I am being impartial, there's two problems with your argument. Firstly, there is the strong possibility of survivorship bias. Secondly, it could be that what you're seeing is caused by society's unequal incentives rather than some fundamental evolutionary difference between males and females.

It could be Martinghoul. These things are complex and there are many reasons and factors. However, in today's society I don't think a woman is prevented from becoming a world-famous professor of physics or a world famous trader. I mean surely Stephen Hawking had a lot more to struggle with than your average woman does. But he still made it. Part of being that good is a strong desire and commitment to succeed no matter what the difficulties are against you or the costs. This applies in all fields. The universities could be filled with women, and we know year after year girls do better than boys at GCSE and even A-levels (though the gap starts to narrow there), but they just aren't. Maybe when men are happy to single-mindedly spend years devoting themselves to some specialty in their 20s, women might have other incentives and just not want to do that. But that is about commitment to a specialty, and I believe that is required to become a true star at anything. It shouldn't be seen as sexist, because I'm actually saying that on average women are better than men at most things. Just at the top end it is mostly men.

I think there are fundamental differences between men and women in how their minds work, and I don't think this is controversial. But I do take your point. And regardless of society's unequal incentives or the reasons for it, the fact remains that in most specialties, it is men that dominate. In my personal experience (this will sound like a men are from mars thing) I can only concentrate on one thing properly at a time, and if I'm deep in concentration, I can barely even hear when someone talks to me. It just doesn't register. Whereas the women that work with me can handle many things at a time without a problem. But I can concentrate for longer and have a deeper understanding than they do. Ever noticed when you're deep in concentration and someone asks you for something and it is almost irritating? It is irritating for me because I just can't handle two things at once. Of course the last part is just my own experience, but the rest I think is more general.

Last edited:
For sure, I actually happen to agree with you, as my personal experiences have led me to similar conclusions. I was only trying to be skeptical about the statistical inferences that we all implicitly make.

It does not matter how different mindsets work. Rules are rules and those who trade without rules will lose over time. Who is better at following rules? Disciplined groups like Armies and Navies or bimbranic subtle behavouristic thinking, observing females. I would love to be regarded as a "Turtle" harping back to the Teenage Ninjas, any women care to join me?

I know what my money is on.

Last edited:
To say women make better traders is a bit pointless. Trading is just like other specialties. It requires a mix of passion, intelligence, dedication, concentration and a host of other things, just like academic subjects, and a multitude of other skills in life.

It is well known that average woman is better than the average man, at most of these specialties, however the tail is filled by men. In other words, jokes aside, an average woman driver might be better/safer than an average man, but the formula 1 drivers will all be men. An average woman might be a better cook, but the michelin star chefs are nearly all men. At GCSE or A-levels the average girl might be better than the average man at most subjects, but go and look at some universities and you'll see the departments, particularly those that require extreme concentration and intelligence (physics, maths etc) are dominated by males.

So yeah, an average woman probably is better than an average man starting out in trading. But I bet you'll find as with the other specialities, that the top end of traders, the real superstars and market wizards are 90% men.

women laugh at mens ego, they are also aware its very important so would think very carefully before ever damaging it

they are aware average is good enough, last 10% is pointless and just ego

........... off shopping :)

What's all this about the male ego, women have ego's too.

Like the old saying goes........

" When a husband is in the wrong he should always admit it. When his wife is in the wrong he should keep his mouth shut "

dd

Women have exceptionally fragile egos. They spend half their lives looking in mirrors and looking for approval on their appearance.

Also men has fragile egos.
They don't need a mirror for approval.
They just need those pricey cars, golden watchs and stunning chicks for approval :)

Also men has fragile egos.
They don't need a mirror for approval.
They just need those pricey cars, golden watchs and stunning chicks for approval :)
Just to put my slant on this, pricey cars and gold watches are to impress and utimately achieve the stunning chicks. (note plural). The male ego amongst equals is satisfied by events like fight club etc.
:LOL:

Could be. Trading is not necessarily about brains (though need to be above average intelligence). Women are likely to be conservative, take fewer risks, more methodical, less likely to stray from their system. For those same reasons, it is also much likely the people who make many millions from trading are almost always men.