Every trader should learn about cold reading

arabianights

Legendary member
Those of you who have met me (well, some of you - not the ones I've just got as pissed asap with - actually that's most of you have met me :LOL:) will know my enthusiasm for a few books, one of which is a book by Ian Rowland on Cold Reading (an amazing technique, that before what I am about to meniton I primarily felt was used by so called psychics but I had recognised in technical analysts etc....) which can be found here.

Anyway, I've spent 9-5 this weekend doing a proper course, the third ever, on cold reading in *general* (that is to say, not just psychic contexts) - and without breaking any confidentiality about who was there, there was someone everyone here would recognise from tv - not a magician at all btw, but in a medical field... and the best [seekrit Scandinavian country] magician that there is (he won an award). As well as eleven other guys from really interesting and ludicrously diverse backgrounds.

The course builds upon the book and teaches a model that can be applied to any situation - for example appearing to be knowledgeable about the aluminium ***** (I made that up) industry. Without any information about it, you can do it with a snap of a finger (with some practice at least). And even if you don't use cold reading yourself you will be able to spot various related psychological techniques being used - perhaps upon you.

Although I can see no reason why the course will not be directly useful either if not as a party trick; after it I was able to act as a knowledgeable psychic to a few birds in a pub and get... GERMANS... to follow me to a pizza express.

BTW I am receiving nothing for this post; indeed the guy involved will probably be a bit annoyed to be associated with me :LOL: - But I thought it good enough to tell everyone about... At the very least buy the book, but the course is astounding :)

[And yes, it's highly relevant to trading; unless you're entirely mechanical. That said, I've given my views on entirely mechanical traders before, and they're not happy thoughts :)]

I just "Youtube'd" it to find out a bit more. Fascinating. Did the guy do any live readings? How do you think that its relevant to trading though?

presumably relevant as the ability to take a situation where one has sketchy information and extrapolate to get a more complete picture is a skill all good traders prize n'est cest pas?

This reminds me, the opening 5 minutes to the mentalist is probably the best opening to any crime series ever...

So you spent the weekend learning to lie convincingly and extract information from people?
You will fit right in when you go to N Korea ...

Those of you who have met me (well, some of you - not the ones I've just got as pissed asap with - actually that's most of you have met me :LOL:) will know my enthusiasm for a few books, one of which is a book by Ian Rowland on Cold Reading (an amazing technique, that before what I am about to meniton I primarily felt was used by so called psychics but I had recognised in technical analysts etc....) which can be found here.

Anyway, I've spent 9-5 this weekend doing a proper course, the third ever, on cold reading in *general* (that is to say, not just psychic contexts) - and without breaking any confidentiality about who was there, there was someone everyone here would recognise from tv - not a magician at all btw, but in a medical field... and the best [seekrit Scandinavian country] magician that there is (he won an award). As well as eleven other guys from really interesting and ludicrously diverse backgrounds.

The course builds upon the book and teaches a model that can be applied to any situation - for example appearing to be knowledgeable about the aluminium ***** (I made that up) industry. Without any information about it, you can do it with a snap of a finger (with some practice at least). And even if you don't use cold reading yourself you will be able to spot various related psychological techniques being used - perhaps upon you.

Although I can see no reason why the course will not be directly useful either if not as a party trick; after it I was able to act as a knowledgeable psychic to a few birds in a pub and get... GERMANS... to follow me to a pizza express.

BTW I am receiving nothing for this post; indeed the guy involved will probably be a bit annoyed to be associated with me :LOL: - But I thought it good enough to tell everyone about... At the very least buy the book, but the course is astounding :)

[And yes, it's highly relevant to trading; unless you're entirely mechanical. That said, I've given my views on entirely mechanical traders before, and they're not happy thoughts :)]

Interesting post. I've also studied cold reading.

Here is a link for some more information: Library, The Art of Cold Reading

Those "channeling" ones should be shot for taking advantage of heart-broken morons but anthing else is fair game I say.

If you're daft enough to believe that some psychic is making money off of you instead of chilling in banks talking to managers and getting account numbers and passwords etc deserves to have their money taken from them.

I'd like to be able to do this, but only because my girlfriend is in love with the guy from the Mentalist.

The mentalist is very short...just like Derren Brown. Talk about overcompensating.

My advice SL... Just beat up someone who looks like the mentalist. She'll be angry with you on the suface but then she'll remeber why she went out with you instead of someone handsome/smart

I'd like to be able to do this, but only because my girlfriend is in love with the guy from the Mentalist.

Just becasue you can do his tricks you'll still look like Peter

Attachments

• peter_beardsley.jpg
    peter_beardsley.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 654
The mentalist is very short...just like Derren Brown. Talk about overcompensating.

My advice SL... Just beat up someone who looks like the mentalist. She'll be angry with you on the suface but then she'll remeber why she went out with you instead of someone handsome/smart

No, choose the path of no violence rejection, make her sit through the other 5hite channel 5 series he's in, where he's a lawyer, that'll sort it.

No, choose the path of no violence rejection, make her sit through the other 5hite channel 5 series he's in, where he's a lawyer, that'll sort it.

never heard of it lol.

Even the mentalist is tedious after 1 episode. I hate his hair and his tan. I'm starting to dispise all actors.

talking to magicians?

i like the trick where they pass blank pieces of paper off as real money.