Evening trading US shares

Paul,

On the Quotetracker site, there's reference to what they call integrated trading, using these three brokers:

RML Trading
TradeFreedom
XoomTrade

They seem, on the surface, attractive options. I just wondered if you'd looked at them in comparison with IQ?

Nick

Nick,

No I havent looked at them because I am happy with IB which can also be used via QT although I dont use QT to do this.

Paul

Out of interest

Whats the total cost of being able to trade then using this package - medved,quote feed, Ib, etc for say just nasdaq?

Paul,

I didn't know IB could be integrated with QT. I've always disliked the TWS interface. Maybe this is a way around that.

Thanks,

Nick

RD,

As I understand it, $20 a month for Nasdaq data plus $1 a month exchange fees. For Level 2, another $30 a month.

Quotetracker is free but has ads that cost a registration fee to get rid of.

For the IB feed , I believe the data fee is waived if enough tades are made. Presumably, another exchange fee has to be paid.

I hope if these details are wrong someone will correct me.

Nick

rdstagg,

The issue that you would have with IB as a datafeed is that there is no backfill facility and you are limited to monitoring only 40 stocks. So if you wanted a cost effective realtime datafeed that can be used with QT you would be unable to beat the IQ feed option which (signed up via QT) is only $20 per month. If you wanted to use IQ with say Tradestation then the minimum cost is around $50 per month and you would sign up via the www.hypertrader.it site.

Paul

rdstagg said:
Whats the total cost of being able to trade then using this package - medved,quote feed, Ib, etc for say just nasdaq?

I may well be wrong, but as i see it the total monthly costs, in dollars, to trade would be as follows:

medved quotetracker (registered version without ads) = $7 ($5 if paid annually)

IQFeed Basic service = $20
IQFeed Level 2 = $20
NASDAQ exchange fees = $1
NASDAQ Level 2 exchge fees = $10

IB = free, unless you also want to subscribe to their market data AND have commissions of less than $30 per month then there would be a $10 fee.

Therefore the minimum total monthly cost is $56. (medved $5 + IQ $40 + fees $11).

dod said:
Does anyone have any views on a reasonably priced platform that would provide 'good' Level 2, T&S, and real time (also short term historical) data and charting for Nasdaq shares?

Dod

www.Prophet.net

Real Time streaming charts with a decent selection of TA
Level 2
Time & Sales

Thanks Ardhill. There seem to be a lot of options. The cheapest and most basic is probably QT with stockwatch, at $13.95 a month (without level 2). Level 2 seems to cost around $30, across the board.

Last edited:
Nice evening move at the moment

Attachments

• fut5.gif
    fut5.gif
    23.8 KB · Views: 635
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/showpost.php?p=168455&postcount=968

On the above I mentioned a list of potential movers pre-market. How I traded the #1 on the list (KOSP) is on post 970.
Just because a stock is on the early radar doesn't mean it isn't a potential mover in the evening as well.

Here is a price only chart.
You can't get more straightforward than that.
No indicators, not even volume.

Would anyone like to make any constructive comments suggesting a potential trade some time after 1400 (that's 7pm BST) - entry and exit?
Richard

Attachments

• kospevening.GIF
    kospevening.GIF
    9.9 KB · Views: 643
Entry at breakout of day's high (50).
Risk averse exit when first subsequent red bar dropped below low of previous bar.? But I think if you had been using one minute bars you would have been out earlier about 50.35 instead of 50.53
Rob

I agree with robq, buy on breakout above 50, then it all depends on your timeframe and targets. For small targets, sell before 51, if looking for a bigger move then probably sell towards the end of the chart timeframe as it looks like a double top could be forming - take profit and run, maybe go short?

I imagine Richard will respond in due course, he's probably busy chasing apples.

Rob

Hi Richard,
I agree on the breakout of 50.00, but I suspect you got much more out of the trade than just the 5o odd cents that robq suggests. I think the very definite bounce off 51.00 would see you out of the trade faster than I can write these few words at around the 50.75 mark, i.e. at the close of the last (very small) bull candle prior to the large red one with no upper shadow.
Tim.

Last edited:
evening trading

Hi Richard,

I trade the US markets 6 to 9 most nights. I do this becuase I have to work during the day, so my whole system is based around this time frame. I don't use and fancy TA, not even candlesticks. I don't really know what oscillators are (I can't even spell it) and whats more I don't want to know - I believe it should be kept simple.

The most important thing that I look for is structure and predictability in the chart. I have numerous set ups and pointers that help me identify approx patterns that I trade off. The chart for KOSP would have JUST fit into my criteria, entry bang on 7.00pm @ 50.25, sold 1/2 at 50.75, the rest at 51 on the pull back.

Another factor in my trading is that I only do 1 or 2 a night. I used to do futures at the same time but found I couldn't conc properly on everything at once. I use the same methodology for futures but good patterns on the futures chart only come up around once a week (although this week has been an exception) hence the reason for looking at stocks. most night I can find at least a few to trade on, and I'm being very inefficient in selecting those stocks, I don't use scanners etc and I should do, (and will in the near future) at the moment I just look at a load of charts (quickly!) and wittle them down to about 5 that look good and then select 1 or 2 from that.

These are what I would consider high probability trades. In mos case I trade all my capital so they need to be liquid enough for me to get in and out quickly without hassle. Might sound a bit reckless but with tight stops and being right more times than wrong it works ok. I firmly believe that if you are as confident and happy as you can be with the trade then you have to go for it. tight stops are very important

Sorry to waffle on. Not many people mention evening trading and the opportunities there can be. I mean, if I can find them with my **** about face stock selection process then anyone can.

I have an objective orver the next 12 months or so to attend your course so I can get to grips with patterns that occur at other times during the day, especially the start as I have no clue how to trade at the open.

I enjoy your posts and hope they continue.

cheers

D

apology

I just want everyone to know that I can speak english far better than I can type. some shocking typos there!

I'm thinking differently here

I saw a double top and took the evening trade shorting at 50.97 for a 83c gain.
Rise was getting near parabolic and entirely unsustainable , volume came in and my blob indicator said hello!

On a slight tangent I made a major decision a few weeks ago - I Decided to no longer study level 2; not because its wrong - I just find I keep seeing the trees and forgetting about the wood. I now only glance at it occasionally to check something really weird isn't going on.

I appreciate thats not what people want to hear but it works for me - we are all wired up differently and I found the information stream from looking at level 2 did me in after about an hour and I kept reacting to all the little eddies and whirlpools in the stream rather than stepping back and looking at the current.

Apologies for all the analogies

Attachments

• kosp.jpg
    kosp.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 448