Drugs - the solution

Of course it is in the interests of the State to:-
1. Put laws in place that enable the criminals to plea bargain their quick release ( give them a few years to amass another fortune ) in return for the names and evidence against other dealers.
2. Confiscation of their financial assets when they become wealthy enough to warrant it.

So the advantages being
1.plenty more income for Govt.
2. Drug dealers are not wasting their time and tax payers money in prison
3. Plentiful supply for the druggies.

Really a win/win situation all round except for the expensive tastes of the do-gooders.

Last edited:
There's nothing new in this debate.

On the one side...we have the mostly silent majority who either know from limited experience, or just know instinctively that drug use, inc alcohol and tobacco if you like, are just wrong and of no use to users and society.

Then we have the youth who will not take any advice from their more experienced elders and betters about the dangers that lie ahead.

Another thing that completely pi55es me off is the term "recreational drug use", as if there is no short, medium, or long term risk of addiction and or damage over time.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/research/cannabis.htm

People once thought that asbestos was the new wonder building material.....they don't think that any longer do they !!

There's a reason why governments act to protect people from danger and themselves. Tis the reason why we have seat bets in cars and health and safety law and EC standards for electrical appliances. The list is endless.

So what makes anyone think that the drug lobby should be listened to ahead of the views of the silent majority who elect government to ensure and enact if needed, in the interests of people's general wellbeing.

I agree with you mostly about this. Asbestos was even used after people realized the health detriments because people rationalise everything. Look at smoking cigarettes. It took 36 years after the surgeon general's report upon their untoward effects upon health. It wasn't until 2000 that all flights forbade smoking, all restaurants forbade smoking and many forms of advertisements became illegal in certain media. People will continue to use big brother as a scapegoat for their addictions. People do not just become addicted to illegal drugs, they also become addicted to legally prescribed drugs as well. People are told by the doctor only take 1/day but they rationalise taking more because they think they can control it. Therefore, decriminalisation is meaningless. It will not do any good or make things any better by legalising heroin or cocaine.

First-ever cannabis commercial to air on American TV

Sign of the times...

I'll be interested in stats for two questions;

1. Will demand for hard drugs fall?
2. Will crime numbers fall?

Will be interesting to see how peoples health and life expectancies also change but it may take good few years for this to come through...

(y)

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB14988/smok-eng-2014-rep.pdf

12% of mothers in the UK smoke during pregnancy. 26% of mothers in the UK smoked at some time just before or during their pregnancy.

Its the big Pharma and prison officers that might be very upset, and of course the lot that thrive pushing drugs to the young kids in hope to turn them into controlled customers for life (even a shot one)

Yes absolutely. The more I read around cannabis and listen to the science the more I see it is the inevitable correct path.

Natures pain killer, in the correct hands, refined to benefit people. On balance the advantages of this drug trump the adverse effects from what I have read and learnt...

Can't be worse then locking people up and making the pushers rich, over loading the police.

Alcohol is considerably worse and yet it's considered recreation.

Suspect, this will impact tobacco and alcohol sales whilst leading to greater creativity, better music and just positive vibes all around... (y)

just had a massive spliff followed by 3 bottles of wine and a curry-im also long hang seng
life dont get any better.
like_a_drug_gif__click_for_animation__by_edniz-d6k6i0u.gif

what was the question again;)

But it isn't an obvious choice.

First, if we make drugs widely available, there is no turning back from it. It's a decision you cannot change your mind on, just like a ban on alcohol for example wouldn't be (and wasn't) feasible.

You say drug dealers and gangs are monsters. No, drugs are the og villains here. Plus, you seem to assume that gang activity, criminals ruling over some places would be completely eliminated if drugs were legal. Probably not.

And while it might be a lucrative source of income, like you say, many people don't end up ever trying hard drugs. Imagine how many more people would try and get addicted if it was readily available everywhere. Would you limit how much drugs a person can buy? If no, you would enable them to absolutely ruin their life and health way quicker than with alcohol or smoking. If yes, you would end up further feeding into the black market, just like it is happening with addictive prescription meds like opioids or benzodiazepines (such as Xanax).

Decriminalise all drugs!

Make them commercially available with full information and let people decide.

Decriminalise all drugs!
Make them commercially available with full information and let people decide.
Agreed.
Look at what happened with the tobacco companies, where they knew for decades that smoking was extremely harmful for your health and many many people died not knowing.

These days, people are still dying with gruesome warnings on every pack, which they ignore at their peril. At least criminal activity is now limited mainly to smuggling.

I have lost count of the times that I risked my life by driving, playing with explosives/ dodgy wiring/drugs/ bad guys/heights/ oceans etc etc etc....and I left out getting lost in the Australian bush for a few days - but all were MY choice. I survived and I have lost count of the number of people who did exactly the same things and made exactly the same choices... but didn't. That's the nature of risk and as traders we should all surely know that like the markets, life is never wrong... but that, very frequently, we are.

I would think that the regulation of the manufacture and sale of drugs would change the landscape completely; of course people will buy these regulated drugs and some of the buyers will become addicted and or overdose but as Att sez, if you knowingly choose to take a risk with your health and your life it is still your choice.

The criminals flogging drugs etc. are not in the least concerned for the children and idiots who buy them. Often the street drugs are laced with flour and other contaminants unknown to the users. At least over the counter at chemists, their quality can be guaranteed.

Often the street drugs are laced with flour and other contaminants unknown to the users. At least over the counter at chemists, their quality can be guaranteed.
Absolutely...and would certainly sort out my supply problems.

I doubt the drug dealers pay much tax but live in luxury. With our soppy well meaning politicians they have little to fear.
The tax people should have powers to haul them in regularly and if they can't prove their wealth is legit then it should be confiscated. No jail - that is just a waste of time.

I am surprised the autocratic regimes haven't organised Govt. drug shops. With the huge income from drugs ( being the only supplier ) then taxes could then be lowered. They could organise a Happy Week etc. before elections.

Last edited:
I am surprised the autocratic regimes haven't organised Govt. drug shops. With the huge income from drugs ( being the only supplier ) then taxes could then be lowered. They could organise a Happy Week etc. before elections.
:ROFLMAO:'happy week' :ROFLMAO: free drugs for all :ROFLMAO: vote happy party :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

But such Governments DO get a huge income from drugs !

[ Albeit, it's the corrupt politicians, officials and managers that benefit, not the state or the people. ]

But you certainly don't get to turn over vast tracts of land to growing drug crops without Government, Military and Police collusion and permission, let alone harvest, transport and export the goods thereafter.

This all relies on high prices and scarcity of supply for the end product.

The rich get richer and nobody gives a damn about a few dead junkies or gangland killings of deadbeats.

If you seriously want to cure much of the problem, simply decriminalize the product and flood the market.
Prices will crash as supply exceeds demand and the cartels will go out of business.

...... and people with addiction problems can then seek help without fear of criminal prosecution or risk of losing access to their supply of drugs.

But whilst so very many vested interests are making a thriving living out of maintaining things just the way they are, don't expect any changes any time soon.

Extremely strict penalties would be the solution.
Such as ?
Jail, where they meet up with old friends doesn't seem to work.
Lay a finger them and the do-gooders are up in arms.
Could bore them to death, I suppose, in listening endlessly to The House of Commons.
lol