Dow Intraday charts 2/Feb - 6/Feb

No particular reason, but I used to be with D4F and didn't like it...

Look forward to the posts.

For the most part last week the Dow and all those that 'sail' in her were churning. Moreover this was fairly predictable so I was looking on thinking I'm not a celebrity and I want out of here. So, how to do that. Ideally I wanted to put a stop buy @10530 and a stop sell @ 10429. If she breaks any of those I will take that position, and cancel the other when I finished whatever I am doing at the time.
However, from memory I don't think taking opposite positions is allowed on D4f (spit) so how could I make this play without having to sit and watch the action constantly ?

Any ideas welcomed,but keep it clean...

Cheers

Chump

Two choices as I see it.

1. Open up two SB accounts , ideally with the same company, I'm sure d4f allow you to do this, which will allow you to trade both sides

or

2. Open a futures account with someone like IB which allows you to place stop orders either side of price as you have outlined in your post.

The other advantage of a futures account is a 1 point spread which makes scalping sooooo much easier.

Do you know if D4F have a futures accounts? if so what the deposit is.

Apart from the 1 point compared to 5 Spread what other reasons are futures better than cash?

Thanks

Kathy

Thanks for all your help this week everyone

d4f

you can have 2 accounts with them ,,, one for longs the other shorts in the same instrument e.g the dow
you cant pick 'em off individually like say at IG so you have yo open and close each position one at a time=great discipline but crap if you want to hold a losing , say , short, and pick other shorts off over the phone whislt keeping the loser open [dodgy]
i didn't know IB spread was a point on YM i thought it was 2. great!
my account with IB is at the funding stage and taking forever
why IB trading YM [FUTURES DOW] because [for rustic] its faster
the cash dow is anything from 1 to 10 seconds behind the CBOT e minis futures [dowTM] =,any points difference!!
say you saw a ND and wanted to trade it for 20ish points -by the time the cash dow could have turned YM is 10 points into the move!! etc from an elliott point of view the cash dow [indu ] also suffers from truncated waves [and waves "missing" on a 1 min scale] and differing counts as the futures are the leader and complete

one eyed shark

hi OES
is ir safe to assume yu have an IB account?
if you have do you use the TWS interface or the other thats free and works in league with the traders workstation thats mentioned on the home page on this site?
i downloaded the demo from IB [thats where i saw YM with 2 points spread-sorry if thats not for real and its actually i pt] and it does seem quite difficult to use though i've not done for real--still waiting for IB funding to contact me so i can give them the hard earned stuff!

thanks in advance and otherwise when youhave the time

Thanks for some good ideas ...just to clarify one comment from Wellshot..are you saying the emini dow leads the cash ?

Cheers

chartman

as earlier promised 3charts

Attachments

• snapshot-36.png
    snapshot-36.png
    61.7 KB · Views: 350
no'2

if you want me to send them monday for your new thread let me know

Attachments

• snapshot-37.png
    snapshot-37.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 342
Wellshot

What smas are you using and what minute charts?

If this is a C wave what target are you looking at? before it turns down into wave D or 4 or whatever?

Thanks

Futures V Cash

On D4F the spread between cash (5pts) closed at 10571/76
and the futures i.e Dow March is (8 pts) closed at 10555/63 D4F prices. Someone mentioned a 1 point spread do I need a futures account to be able to get the smaller spread?

Kathy

Wellshot

Thank you for all your hard work, EW very hard to understand but your charts are helping.

Would I be correct in saying that the target is either 10 612 or 10632? if it goes higher than it could go up past 10704.63 then this would be classed as a new bigger wave up . We could still do with a decent retracement before another big push up though.

Thansk

Kathy

lads/lasses

if i may exress my humble opinion here. i personally find EWs and WWs the most subjective thing in TA. At a gunpoint i wudnt trade on MY (or anyone else's) interpretation of EWs or WWs. However, i do know a brilliant trader (voodoo) who trades on WWs (in part) and clocks up good ducats - so by no means I am slagging waves off. It perhaps can be done, but u hv to be much sharper than me to label waves "correctly".

gd lk wavers. hope u r doing it right :)

china

I know what you mean but the essence of most things can be found when you simplify them down to the main issues.

As traders, we are looking to recognise when a wave 3 may be starting so as to get on as early as possible.

And secondly, once it has started ,to stay on.

If you can isolate enough information from the complexities to
identify those points, it will repay the study handsomely.

It helps in knowing when to 'run your profits' which is a difficult decision without a road map.

wellshot

I use TWS, once you are familiar with it there is no need to use another interface, it may also be worth finding a recent thread by Johhny T who has has a nightmare with an API and IB.

If you have submitted funds make sure you have updated that fact in your account maintanence, it has usually taken sub 24 hrs. for IB to notify me funds have been received.

I know what you mean but the essence of most things can be found when you simplify them down to the main issues.
Amen. The sooner people realise this, the better their trading will be.....