Dow 2007

Lurker, well done, I'm in no rush today, if I can get a trade so be it, just waiting and watching at min

Bugger. What was that???

Stopped out, +6.

+3 for the day - taking the rest of the night off!

Will be back to do my journal later.

Good luck all.

Cheers

~LL

Hi guys,

I'm still short. Making -96 pips loss but still feel it's going down. 150 as per original analysis. SL @ 550.

Thanks for the advice LL but don't worry this will not sink me. It will only take out my monthly allocation. If it does take me out it means I will not get to play until next month.

However, the markets have gone ape**** if you ask me.

Let this surge continue but I know the fundamentals don't add up and the markets will soon wake up and follow it. As I say if it's not May it will be June.

I'm also experimenting still with long term trading. I've tried 1min and 10min charts and this week weekly and dailys. I think I've messed up on the daily's this week.

It's all going on the experience list.

Do appreciate the good advice and guidance. Many thanks to all.

Hi Guys

I'm also short, over the last couple of weeks. First short at 12985, thought it would not break 13000, second short last night before clos at 14487.
I'm with you Atilla, its got to go down sooner than later.

well done, question is, where will your exit be.

I moved my stop to BE now. will use a different approach this time. will take a 50% out for +23 at 83 cash if and when that happens, and trail the rest or exit at market when I get a price dictated exit

good luck.

j

Irrelevant post now that I am stopped out. sorry.

Dinos

I've been here too many times, made a bad mistake, hoped for a recovery, bottled out of the position, day or two later, bingo, would have made a profit. It does hurt, but this market is not going North, without a correction.
The last two large blunders I made on a gold and Nymex position, I held on, against all advice and eventually made a small profit. A profit is a profit .

Bottomley, here what your saying, fwiw, try get a structered stop lossin place, so much better to know the maximum you can lose on trade rather tha watch a trade run away from you, and live to fight another day

Does anyone remember a time where oil spiking over 2.5%+ in one session might have spooked the Dow after a 1200 point run? (aren't the markets meant to be sensitive to inflationary pressures?!)!

Last edited:
Reflecting on my trading tonight, had I stuck with stockcharts, I would have entered a long at 13463 and kept that open whilst the ema8 remained over the ema 21. Using Pro-real, charts appear different, its going to take a bit of getting use to, silly trading, always go with the trend, if trending higher, buy the dips, if lower, sell the high etc. Basic stuff really, not happy with myself

Bad day, albiet a short trading me for me, on a losing streak, best to stop and wait until tomorrow, good luck to you all

Sorry for not responding earlier, I must have overlooked this.

Frugi is right I am using IB's own charts, but they have been somewhat unreliable in the beginning of this year (they are stable now).

I also use a (free) plug-in IBCharts (www.ibcharts.com) which is pretty basic, but I like it. It has all the necessary features on it. so if you're looking for something cheap... (it obviously only works with IB as data feed).

Thanks for the reply FW
IB rather puts me off as it looks very complicated (is it ?) and a deposit may be needed.
eSignal are $115 + $30 p.m. for the feed and charting package.
Bis a German outfit that a reviewer says is expensive.
Pariteck for Metastock 10 RT 1 month trial and then $235 p.m.
I was hoping for a feed and charting package at about $30 p.m. or so
Any ideas ?

Not checked the charts since I stopped trading a few hours ago, so a little out of touch. My review will be on my journal, not here, so I'll stay on topic.

Atilla - your remarks are comforting. If you even have a monthly allocation, that convinces me that you aren't going anywhere fast. It can be difficult to determine another person's experience on these boards. I've just notice you mention getting badly burned (while short) quite a few times since I started posting. But I'm sure you'll live to fight another day.

Since I'm not holding overnights, I can honestly say I wish for the Dow to drop 500 points tomorrow, just to ease the pressure on you and other pained shorts.

You're right, fundamentally. But there is no right and wrong, only price.

bottomleyp - I hope what I've just said to Atilla (that I'm confident he has the experience and risk management to remain in the game) can be equally applied to you. Good luck!

Dinos - sorry to hear you are having a bad day, but I am sure you have spent less time letting it worry you than I have taken to type this sentence! I'm sure you'll capitalise on the opportunities the market presents tomorrow.

Does anyone get a small rush from the freedom that trading brings? I'm only up +3 pips today, but they are MY profits and the losses are MINE. My success or failure is not determined externally, but lies entirely with me and the decisions I make. That's a nice feeling, and I think it can be good to own that every so often.

Best of luck to those with open positions - I'm off to write my journal, and will be back here tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply FW
IB rather puts me off as it looks very complicated (is it ?) and a deposit may be needed.
eSignal are $115 + $30 p.m. for the feed and charting package.
Bis a German outfit that a reviewer says is expensive.
Pariteck for Metastock 10 RT 1 month trial and then $235 p.m.
I was hoping for a feed and charting package at about $30 p.m. or so
Any ideas ?

I don't have an IB account (yet - I'm not about to stick £5k of my savings^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hrent money into a margin account when I haven't proved consistent performance), but I am pretty sure the feed and charting (see ibcharts.com) is free if you trade enough to hit £30 / month commissions. I think all of us trade regularly enough for that - so you get the feed and the charting for nothing.

Ask them - I don't know definitively, but something to try out.

Also, this is a little offtopic, and if I were seriously interested I'd start a thread in Brokers, but how many here have used IB (and what did you think)?