Dow 2007

From a site that monitors Selling/Buying Volume (SBV) -

Yesterday, we stated that "It therefore seems somewhat uncharacteristic to see a reversal into a potential new mid-term downtrend after only one session near recent highs, without seeing any noteworthy high-amplitude selling surges first."

And sure enough, today the NASDAQ 100 climbed almost back to its recent multi-year high. We still think yesterday's slide was not the start of the new-mid-term down-trend, for the following reasons:

It seems somewhat uncharacteristic to see a reversal into a potential new mid-term downtrend after only one session at or near recent highs.

Whereas we saw an accumulation of selling volume on 60-day charts of the major indexes (with a 20-bar setting) during the market's recent advance from the end of June to early July, we still have not seen any particularly noteworthy high-amplitude selling surges(see blue VMA line). In contrast, during yesterday's decline we instead noted a high-amplitude buying surge.

60-day charts of the major indexes (with a 20-bar setting) continue to show declining SBV oscillator readings. Current values are: NASDAQ 100 minus 22%; S&P 500 minus 47%; Dow: minus 36%. Because these readings are still in decline, there is a chance the indexes could show a volatile downward bias. However, should these readings start to rise, we would conclude that the indexes may be ready to rise to their recent highs and perhaps exceed them.

On a higher timeframe, 1.5-year charts (with a 10-bar setting) show SBV oscillator readings in positive territory and currently advancing. Such readings would favor further market advances.

Short Term (lasts a few hours to a few days): Yesterday's forceful downside push brought out the "buy-the-dip" crowd, who managed to score some gains on the major indexes today. From a volume analysis perspective, today brought an immediate upside reaction to the buying surge that was associated with yesterday's sell-off. You can see this buying s urge on 15-day charts of the major indexes.

For the short-term, we are not entirely comfortable that we may already have seen the full extent of what appeared to become a short-term pullback (initiated with Tuesday's one-day slide). As noted in yesterday's report, we did anticipate a bounce for today, but also believed the market would then sell down again. At this point, we feel there is still a risk for a sudden intraday push lower. Should the market continue to drift higher, we also do not see a great deal of sustainable upside potential at this time. Note how today's action led to a new selling surge just in formation.

Yes,cool innit..:cool: It spent all morning doing nothing even with US futures well up..........playing catch up big time now....:LOL:

Perhaps we should just shut our eyes and dive in long expecting retest above 8100....:rolleyes:

been out, come back and the dow seems to have been hitting the steroids:devilish:

we've had a few 160 ish moves in the not too distant past but i havent seen it go limit up / down for some time...could i happen today:confused:

am thinking has the previous month been a basing pattern for a major move higher or is this a false break to pull some moths to the flame before dropping lower:eek:

time will tell and going to wait and see before trading either way.

bonds down,rates up also......looks like they don't give a toss m8...:LOL:
I'm short both (OIL+DOW) so at least one side has come in my favour ... the dow short just needs managing ... it hasn't really broken away yet so I'm still okay :rolleyes::cheesy:

been out, come back and the dow seems to have been hitting the steroids:devilish:

we've had a few 160 ish moves in the not too distant past but i havent seen it go limit up / down for some time...could i happen today:confused:

am thinking has the previous month been a basing pattern for a major move higher or is this a false break to pull some moths to the flame before dropping lower:eek:

time will tell and going to wait and see before trading either way.

also sods law big time i got a nailed on long signal from my hourly chart which is what i'm primerily trading off on the last bar of yesterday. thought i would wait till today before entering, then mist it typical.:cry: :cry:

Well in excess of Pivot R3 707, at fib 1.27 of low and new all time high, probably a good area to be watching for the turn

Maybe not yet ?

Well in excess of Pivot R3 707, at fib 1.27 of low and new all time high, probably a good area to be watching for the turn

If the dow did turn soon that would mean both oil and dow trades came off pretty well - markets wouldn't do that for me would they ??

We'll see, 10 & 15 slowing, but 30 & 1 hr, still upward momentum in the macd, I'm in no rush to enter.

Aint gonna happen........

Practically every trader in the world :cheesy: is looking for a (decent) turn but they will be disappointed it will dip a bit and then support will come in pretty high up... imo

I don't buy it, I don't remeber reading anywhere the economy is in tip top shape with no mortage meltdown and no bad news anywhere.

My charts were bullish from yesterday into today, no one could have predicted the extent of the rise, which is based on what??. This is not bullish, over zealous and carried away perhaps (imho)

I don't buy it, I don't remeber reading anywhere the economy is in tip top shape with no mortage meltdown and no bad news anywhere.

My charts were bullish from yesterday into today, no one could have predicted the extent of the rise, which is based on what??. This is not bullish, over zealous and carried away perhaps (imho)
Something doesn't make sense I agree but the Gaffers keep throwing money at the market ..... to maintain the pretence... it's working too..

While the dollar continues to lose value....the overseas earnings of the multis that make up the indices keep translating into dollars on the balance sheet in a very pleasing manner. The home market earnings may not be spectacular ,but at this point they have held theirown.
Until somebody calls a halt to the dollar slide I see no reason why the upward trend in the indices should change dramatically.

Hi Chump,

In principle, I agree, commonsense, but I would expect to see a gradual sustainable extention to the price movement, I cannot believe for one minute the huge mark up today is a result of that.

Technical Problem

Can someone with tech savvy please help me, my computer seems to be faulty.
No matter how loud I shout "go down you *******", the YM still keeps going up. How do I adjust my computer to obey my command/answer my prayers ? Bloody Microsoft software !

Can someone with tech savvy please help me, my computer seems to be faulty.
No matter how loud I shout "go down you *******", the YM still keeps going up. How do I adjust my computer to obey my command/answer my prayers ? Bloody Microsoft software !

You must have your screen upside-down! Try turning it over then all will be well.

This is amazing, my 3 min stochastics have been sitting around or above 90 all day so far! My paper longs worked fine but where is the short signal?? Wish I'd put real money on it now.

that's the problem with stochastics ....use them on a ranging set of data and you can go to sleep and go long/short on S & R....but when it's trending strongly and the prior data can't smooth that then the extremes can stay extremes long after a mechanical approach loses a bundle.

A couple of jokes to pass the time

2 priest in a shower, they realise theres is no soap, so father John runs naked back to his room, picks up 2 bars of soap and head back down the hall way.

He hears some nuns coming his way, in panic he pretends to be a statue, the nuns come across him and cannot believe how life like the statue is.

The 1st nun tugs his manhood and he drops the soap in surprise, look a soap dispense shouted one of the nuns, the 2nd nun did the same, again he dropped the bar of soap.

The 3rd nun kept tugging it, "Sweet Jesus" said "Hand Lotion too"

......................................................................................................

A cat and a rooster were walking around a lake, when the rooster felt hungry, he saw a worm and gobbled it up, the cat now started to feel hungry, saw a rat, pounced, missed and fell in the lake

The moral of the story "Wheres thers a satisfied C**k theres a wet p***y"

Hope the moderators allow them

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, getting fed up now. Want to call it a day, a have a feeling there is an entry to be had tonight.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, getting fed up now. Want to call it a day, a have a feeling there is an entry to be had tonight.

yeah, its 1am here. My bed's calling to me but I can't drag myself away. Just need to be careful to watch out for another big leap that might get my Call Write assigned :rolleyes:

From Stockwatch

China and U.S. Bond Yields: Two Things to Watch For ...
There are two unfolding circumstances that could be real Negative events for the markets. Both of these situations should be watched very carefully in the coming days and weeks.

The first is where the Chinese stock market is now, and how close it is getting to a precipitous dropping situation.

If you are a technical analyst in the U.S., you would say that the Shanghai Composite was moving up on a continuous deterioration of strength. You would also say that the Shanghai's Major Support level is now close to being breached ... and if it does fail to the downside, the Shanghai could easily fall 20%+ in a short period of time. (See today's first chart posted on the link below.)

Chinese investors have a different viewpoint about their stock market. There is a belief that China's growth and the direction of their country is traveling in an invincible direction.

We have many Chinese subscribers and we occasionally get emails from them. One recent email sent had the tonality that we had insulted the subscriber by suggestion that the Shanghai was going to have a serious correction this year. The email said, "You nuts! Shanghai never go down."

Is the current euphoria in China allowing some of their investors to forget what happened fairly recently?

On June 14th. 2001,the Shanghai was at 2245. If you looked at the index 4 years later on June 6th. 2005, the Shanghai was at 998.22 on its intra-day low. That was a drop of 1247 points or 55.5%.

It is now only two years past the June 2005 low, and the Shanghai was at 3915 this morning. In these two most recent years, the Shanghai has climbed 292% or an average of 146% per year. Please don't think that this can go on forever ... that the "Shanghai never go down". (Please see today's chart on how the Shanghai is starting to breach its major support.)

The point of this discussion for U.S. investors, is that a precipitous drop on the Shanghai would put considerable downside pressure on the U.S. markets. We are not there yet, but the conditions are showing deterioration, and therefore should be monitored.

There is a second developing condition that could have a real negative affect on the U.S. equity markets, and it has to do with rising bond yields. Higher bond yields means higher interest rates, and higher 30 year bond yields means higher mortgage rates. Higher mortgage rates is something the housing industry doesn't want to have happen, as it would have a very negative impact on an industry that is struggling to find its bottom.

Higher interest rates means higher payments for consumers and a drain on discretionary income that can't be put into new purchases to keep our economy growing at the pace needed.

This is why we addressing the 30 year bond yields this morning. This morning we posted the 8 year chart for the TYX (30 year yield). Note that the yield broke through a 7+ year resistance line in the beginning of June. It is now holding above where it gapped up at that time. I drew a second resistance line in red on the chart. If the 30 year yield moves above that red resistance line, then there will be a panic reaction in our equities market.

China and the U.S. Bond yields should both be monitored as time goes forward. Smart investors keep a forward eye on the positive events in the markets, but they also keep an eye on what might be approaching them from other directions.

Please click this link to go to your Analyses and Recommendations at this link:
http://www.stocktiming.com/Thursday-DailyMarketUpdate.htm
(If you are having trouble with the link, copy and paste it in your browser.)

Regards,
Marty Chenard

StockTiming.com
80 Botany Drive
Asheville, NC 28805
Tel: 828-296-1200