Dow 2007

Hi Tricks,

I might have jumped the gun, based that on my 1 min chart, however on my 5 min chart, my full stochastic set up, suggesting turn, small pos divergence on macd histo. So monitoring of 5 min chart at min, have to wait and see.

Hows your day been?

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10>0)*(A1:A10))
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<0)*(A1:A10))

might work for Excel.

I got around it manually. IF(CELL>0;CELL;0) then sum all the cells, and do the division for average manually. This probably works though, so thanks. I use Oo_Org Calc instead of Excel (Linux here), so I don't know if it would work the same.

I note Oo_Org doesn't have sumpos/sumneg :(

The last two "mental trades" I took showed a profit of +20 (short 90) and +10 (short 80) respectively! I have a wee scribble with them on paper too! Should have actually taken them, but I was doing spreadsheet stuff and having a wee break from the pressures.

Of course, had they been real trades I would have covered for +2 and +1.

A few dirty hacks in OpenOffice Calc as I've never got on great with spreadsheets.

Number of Trades 59
Winning Trades 35
Winning % 0.59
Average Win 9.8
Average Loss 16.54
Trades Per Day 4.21
Pips Per Day -4.5

Hi LL, I picked this example up from somewhere but can't remember where now.

Number of trades 10
Losing trades 6
Winning trades 4
Risk / Reward ratio 1 - 2

Assume £10 loss £20 gain or whatever monies risked.

Thus

1. 6 x Losses at £10 = £60
2. 4 x Winners at £20 = £80

Despite getting only 40% of the trades in the correct direction - by having leaving your winners to run and losers cut short you can be a bad trader and still make money.

Your winners are 59% and so the problem is to stick to your money management plan and cut losers early and let winners run. (Must confess this is my problem too.) I'm still working on it. I go through periods when I am very risk averse and conservative with trades and losses. Other times very obstinate and married to a bitch of a pos and still not budge. I'm sure you'll remember.

What I have noticed is if I make pips I become more risk pro. When I'm down more risk averse. I need to be like Liverpool consistent and perservering to the end.

Hi LL, I picked this example up from somewhere but can't remember where now.

Number of trades 10
Losing trades 6
Winning trades 4
Risk / Reward ratio 1 - 2

Assume £10 loss £20 gain or whatever monies risked.

Thus

1. 6 x Losses at £10 = £60
2. 4 x Winners at £20 = £80

Despite getting only 40% of the trades in the correct direction - by having leaving your winners to run and losers cut short you can be a bad trader and still make money.

Your winners are 59% and so the problem is to stick to your money management plan and cut losers early and let winners run. (Must confess this is my problem too.) I'm still working on it. I go through periods when I am very risk averse and conservative with trades and losses. Other times very obstinate and married to a bitch of a pos and still not budge. I'm sure you'll remember.

What I have noticed is if I make pips I become more risk pro. When I'm down more risk averse. I need to be like Liverpool consistent and perservering to the end.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm trying with the money management.

Does the > 50% Win % make me a decent trader then? Ignoring money management for a minute, you can never make money if you are always wrong - the best MM system can't save you from crap calls. So do I have the first bit right? In which case, I should have more confidence in my system?

Difficult to say, since I could have covered at the best part of the move every time (I know I didn't, and therefore have a neg expectancy).

I've put Z and YM spreadsheets in my journal instead of here - don't want to be offtopic.

It looks like my earlier call that today would be a non trend (ranging) day based on COMPX:INDU and COMPX:SPX ratios was correct. The entire days range so far has been within yesterday.

I'm no longer fussed about the pips I lost earlier. That was a big move. I need to be quicker off the mark with my mental stops since my hard stop needs to be 30 pips away.

Afternoon doldrums are almost over. I'm flat. Looking to sell a break of 70 and buy a break of 500 (depending on the speed of the break).

Yet another example of a system calling a trade that I didn't execute. At least I tried to - most times I chicken out.

Very bad trading there, broke the rules of my plan and closed the position, whilst the ema8 is trending down below ema21. Tut tut

Very bad trading there, broke the rules of my plan and closed the position, whilst the ema8 is trending down below ema21. Tut tut

Very bad trading here. I tried to take my entry signal and stick to my limit order only rules, and I get shafted for it. No fill, market does what I thought it would. That is something like 3 or 4 good calls I've made today but haven't managed to trade. Very annoyed.

And I chickened out of that short earlier.

Lurker, looking good for a break up from around, yet to be confirmed, dyor