Dow 2006

The reason I was asking is because I have been using Metastock for years and it seems to have got a bit tired and dropping behind. Each new version is really only a re-hash of the older version plus a few more rather doubtful indicators.
Time for a change ? but at what cost ?
Can the grey matter comprehend the complexities of a new system ? and justify the expense ?

Pat494 said:
THANKS Leo that's really useful coming from a neutral source rather than having to ask TS themselves, who are probably biased.
Is a deposit needed - IB is $1,400 as far as I know ?
The other relevent question is can one find a good enough system to programme in or perhaps it comes with indicators, to justify the expense ?? i.e. be profitable for anyone less than a genius ??
Sorry a bit of a prickly question. Quite understand if noone wants to answer it...........

Hi Pat

$2500 is needed to trade 1 YM contract. And about the benefit of the software, you are asking a million dollar question! :D
In my experience, TS helps me in implementing disciplined approach to trading, e.g the use of red and green bars for long and short entries makes me 'take' the trade even when 50% of my mind is in doubt. The key steps for me are
1. Indentification of my own trading system .ie entries and exit conditions
2. Writing codes for visible signals
3. Testing them on historical charts to see their performance (Some of the 'top' set ups are not that profitable.. I found out)
4. Trading as per the system

TS helps me with steps 2,3&4. So for me it is worth switching.

regards,

Thanks again Leo.
My trading generally consists of putting a few quid on the index to go long or short. I think I had better stick to what I know for the time being anyway.

Talking about going long and short, now that were above 11000 can anyone see 11250 being tested in the short term?

Green for Going Long

There were only two trades today. Long and Long... :cheesy:

Attachments

• 060724_$DJI.jpg
    060724_$DJI.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 180
Excellent - I'll have a look when I'm out of the office - good idea with the talkthrough.

Thanks

R

Matt321 said:
Little bit on Tradestation press F11 fullscreen

Thanks. Think I will wait a bit until I can afford it. In that event I probably won't need it. LOL
Catch 22

Pat494 said:
Matt321 said:
Little bit on Tradestation press F11 fullscreen

Thanks. Think I will wait a bit until I can afford it. In that event I probably won't need it. LOL
Catch 22

Ha! Ha! nice one ! You just believe for each down there'll be an up and when events turn agaist you there is always hope.

Shake out and break out..!! There was one failed signal at 1745, it was Long Green bars. Anyway, good things come to those who can be patient. Last hour rally was quite strong !! :D
[p.s these colored bars are not TS built-in indicators.]

Attachments

• 060725_$DJI.jpg
    060725_$DJI.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 195
Nervous market

Not a nice day for me :( . Initial short didn't go far and Long trade at 11099 was mis-managed otherwise would have been Long all the way to the peak. Blue bars indicator said to stick to SuperTrend trailing stop but I got out at neutral. With spikes at beige book time subsequent longs were stopped out. Anyways, there is always tomorrow. :D

Attachments

• 060726_$DJI.jpg
    060726_$DJI.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 223
leovirgo said:
Not a nice day for me :( . Initial short didn't go far and Long trade at 11099 was mis-managed otherwise would have been Long all the way to the peak. Blue bars indicator said to stick to SuperTrend trailing stop but I got out at neutral. With spikes at beige book time subsequent longs were stopped out. Anyways, there is always tomorrow. :D

No offence but your system seems better at predicting Longs imho. I guess you have already tried the obvious of inverting the system for Shorts ??

Last edited:
Pat494 said:
No offence but your system seems better at predicting Longs imho. I guess you have already tried the obvious of inverting the system for Shorts ??

Hi Pat,

I tested my signals in YMU06 using VWAP and MPD bands to filter out any risky entries. I was stopped out twice in the first two signals ( one Long, one Short ) as I took the positions near MPD bands. But the third signal to Short worked the wonder for me. In future, I will assess the risk with MPD bands. :D

regards,..

Attachments

• 060727_YMU06.jpg
    060727_YMU06.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 205
Statto Question - any of you guys track the longest run of higher intraday highs ? We're at 5 now on Dow how many more days could we have on average ?

I'm onto the 11260-300 resistanace in case you were wondering.

H

leovirgo said:
Hi Pat,

I tested my signals in YMU06 using VWAP and MPD bands to filter out any risky entries. I was stopped out twice in the first two signals ( one Long, one Short ) as I took the positions near MPD bands. But the third signal to Short worked the wonder for me. In future, I will assess the risk with MPD bands. :D

regards,..

Hi,
That looks better. Still puzzling over what MPD stands for ? Are they Bollinger Bands or something.
Amazingly I had the entry point spot on for UP this afternoon, but guess what, Fins weren't taking bets !! After waiting 5 minutes I gave up. A common complaint with Fins. I may be changing SB if it happens again.
Have a great w/e

Pat494 said:
Hi,
That looks better. Still puzzling over what MPD stands for ? Are they Bollinger Bands or something.
Amazingly I had the entry point spot on for UP this afternoon, but guess what, Fins weren't taking bets !! After waiting 5 minutes I gave up. A common complaint with Fins. I may be changing SB if it happens again.
Have a great w/e

Hi Pat

MPD is Maximum Permissable Deviation. It is based on VWAP. Fins sometimes have mysterious 'indicative phone only' times when prices are about to trend up or down. Have a nice weekend, too. regards,..

Historic volatility

Been watching historic volatility ( 6 days vs 100 days ) and it seems like Dow is entering a low volatility zone. In the past, those zones acted like compressed areas and were almost always followed by big trending moves. A big move will come soon, either up or down. Volatility break out system will be handy in a few days' time.. :D

Attachments

• 060801_$DJI_daily volatility.jpg
    060801_$DJI_daily volatility.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 209
leovirgo said:
Been watching historic volatility ( 6 days vs 100 days ) and it seems like Dow is entering a low volatility zone. In the past, those zones acted like compressed areas and were almost always followed by big trending moves. A big move will come soon, either up or down. Volatility break out system will be handy in a few days' time.. :D

interesting observation leo....
my guess is that the next big move will give as the next wave down :cheesy:

Long from 11099. Took a few more Longs after Open and already scaled out 2/3. The rest will be riding the trend if it continues... :cheesy:

5.35pm edit: completely flat now. Exit @11217.

Attachments

• 060802_$DJI.jpg
    060802_$DJI.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited: