Dow 2006

going up today chaps...

massive overreaction on the futures...

am buying 10821 at the mo to add to prior position.

FC

slim sladey,

what happened to your nikkie position, did you take a hit last night or managed to get out before?

mark twain uk said:
slim sladey,

what happened to your nikkie position, did you take a hit last night or managed to get out before?

I was thinking about him too. I really hope that he got out. The absolute worst feeling in the world is when you can't get out a position because the market is suspended.

In fact when you are trading it is always good discipline to have an Armageddon strategy.

FC

very surprised to hear that you're averaging down. I opened a long at around 10950 expecting a bounce and have become stuck down here overnight (can only trade stupid covered warrants during London opening hours...).

Am considering closing on a large-ish loss as I expect market to tumble further, easy 100+ loss today. Will look to close on any strength today.

its not averaging down per se.. it is just trading a seperate system concurrently, which triggered a long in the 10,810 region..

DC might be able to help on this one ;)

FC

Slapshot said:
Or a stop loss.

In an ideal situation yes, but I was thinking of a 9/11,earthquake in Tokyo, or an assassination type of scenario where, maybe your stop is not hit, because the market moves 500 points or as in 9/11 markets are suspended.

It may also be that your stop is hit but 500 points below where you intended it to be hit because it is a "sell at best market"

In such cases you may have to hedge using another market, use ETFs or gold bullion securities (listed in London_

macbonzo said:
In an ideal situation yes, but I was thinking of a 9/11,earthquake in Tokyo, or an assassination type of scenario where, maybe your stop is not hit, because the market moves 500 points or as in 9/11 markets are suspended.

It may also be that your stop is hit but 500 points below where you intended it to be hit because it is a "sell at best market"

In such cases you may have to hedge using another market, use ETFs or gold bullion securities (listed in London_

Agreed Mac, with regard to the Nikkei I trade with a guaranteed stop loss due to the times it trades at.

SP500 binary to finish up can be bought at 16's....

wonder if its worth a cheeky punt...

6:1 R/R ratio.... ;)

dc2000 said:
Dow position now closed as going out this evening

:( does that mean that you dont really expect it to go up much more?

you said you were looking to cover on Friday?

Good trading anyway (as per usual).

Is the live market going to reach out of market's low at 10795? CMC's quote at 4.45am was 793-797. Scary for a long position.

leovirgo said:
Is the live market going to reach out of market's low at 10795? CMC's quote at 4.45am was 793-797. Scary for a long position.

Who pressed the BUY button at 1900hrs gmt? ;)

solentsurfer said:
Could have been the Fed's Mucky Book. Probably carry on down now.

I want to see it go above 10880 to label it as a buy day. Given what's happening around the world particularly in Japan and even in US with the techies, good old dow looks pretty resilient. Isn't it?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

leovirgo said:
I want to see it go above 10880 to label it as a buy day. Given what's happening around the world particularly in Japan and even in US with the techies, good old dow looks pretty resilient. Isn't it?

could have spoke too soon, i wouldnt bet against sub 10800 tonight

leovirgo said:

It has fallen a fair way. Looking closely at the S&P futures, apart from the 19.00 hours pop, there has been a derth of buying really and certainly no follow through buying.

I was quite lucky to get out of a long postion, but, I have to say there is little evidence of buying. We are off our lows, but after last night, a few people will be cautious about holding positions overnight.

If the S&P can't put up a convincing fight at 1270, I would think there may be another 20 point dowward move.