do you think i have virus

breadman

Established member
on sunday when turning on the computer a error message came up and i had to press f2 to continue. once the computer was on, the clock was wrong, my antivirus said it had not scanned for over 2000 days and the security certificate on web site were invalid.
i have done scans in safe mode but as yet it has not found anything i have kaspersky.
does anyone know what else i should do.

thanks,

breadman

It could be that the CMOS battery has died as this would make your pc lose its date. Have you tried resetting the date back to now and seeing how it performs ?

agree, sounds like your battery on your motherboard has run out. Look for a flat round silver battery on the motherboard and put a new one in.

It could be that the CMOS battery has died as this would make your pc lose its date. Have you tried resetting the date back to now and seeing how it performs ?

hello trader333, hoggums
i have reset the time and it is fine. i have kaspersky and ran a full scan in normal mode and safe mode it did not find anything, yesterday the security certificate was invalid on alot of the websites today it seems ok. the computer was slow yesterday today seems ok. for some reason i just think something is wrong but i am no expert.

thanks breadman

breadman - if you find the time on your computer resets itself to sometime in the past again - then you will need to change that battery. I suggest you take a look inside your computer and find out what kind of battery it is and buy a replacement before you actually need one.

breadman - if you find the time on your computer resets itself to sometime in the past again - then you will need to change that battery. I suggest you take a look inside your computer and find out what kind of battery it is and buy a replacement before you actually need one.

thanks hoggums, i will do that.
do you think this is why the security certificates on web pages were invalid and why kaspersky said i had not done a scan for over 2000 days.

Yes if your pc thinks the date is different to the certificates then it will flag a warning.

the time went again today, so it looks like it is the battery and not a virus.well done trader333 and hoggums. i have ordered a new one. are they easy to install. i see i have to record all the screens in system setup so that you can restore the correct settings in step 8. how would you go about recording them.

thanks
breadman

the time went again today, so it looks like it is the battery and not a virus.well done trader333 and hoggums. i have ordered a new one. are they easy to install. i see i have to record all the screens in system setup so that you can restore the correct settings in step 8. how would you go about recording them.

thanks
breadman

The will be back at their default settings, aside from the date and time they are best left alone.

breadman,
based on your posts, you need to make sure that you read all instructions very carefully. if you think your computer is prone to a virus, make sure to install an antivirus like Avast and a firewall.

I think I am getting the same issue.
(start-up error mentions "diskette drive error" !, says press F1 to continue.
Am having to reset the clock almost every day)

So, where is this CMOS battery? Is it one of those small, round ones?
Will it say on the battery the spec?
thanks

I think I am getting the same issue.
(start-up error mentions "diskette drive error" !, says press F1 to continue.
Am having to reset the clock almost every day)

So, where is this CMOS battery? Is it one of those small, round ones?
Will it say on the battery the spec?
thanks

hello trendie
the time on my computer went every day until i changed it.
yes it is the small round one, open the computer to get the battery number.
the manual says to keep a record of the computer settings, i took photos with a phone, but all i had to do was change the battery all the settings reset by themselves. one thing i did was turn on the computer and reset the time and date myself, then turn the computer off and then install the battery, don't know if this saved me from having to reset the settings.
i would get on with changing the battery before the computer get's worse as it might become a bigger job than just installing the battery with regards to reinstalling settings.
good luck breadman

I don’t think so because Kaspersky is the best and there is no chance a virus that big can mess up your computer.