Do you have a daily, weekly, or monthly goal in profit?

Exscudo

17 1
Hi guys!

I know that the markets could be unpredictable at times and it can be difficult to say how much you’ll earn or loose from a single trade. I wonder if you guys measure your goals daily, weekly, or monthly? Do you measure them in % or in currency value? And what do you do when you don’t hit your goal or if you hit it prematurely?

Hor1zon

1 0
I believe it's not a good idea to set profit goals cause we can make just that amount of money which the market gives us. If we're trying to force trades to achieve our profit target, much more may be lost.

BearBull Trading

6 1
I do not have, or think its a good idea to set a fixed $$ goal. I see no benefit in stopping trading "just because" you've reached a certain $ goal. The losing days will soon bring that average day down.
I believe you'd be better setting a process orientated goal eg. How efficient was my execution, what "grade" were my entries/exits etc & by keeping a detailed track of your trading metrics (other than P/L ) to see how efficient your (perceived) edge is & how efficient you are in exploiting it you could set goals to improve those metrics.

Exscudo

17 1
I believe it's not a good idea to set profit goals cause we can make just that amount of money which the market gives us. If we're trying to force trades to achieve our profit target, much more may be lost.
Thank you, this makes a lot of sense

Exscudo

17 1
I do not have, or think its a good idea to set a fixed $$ goal. I see no benefit in stopping trading "just because" you've reached a certain $ goal. The losing days will soon bring that average day down.
I believe you'd be better setting a process orientated goal eg. How efficient was my execution, what "grade" were my entries/exits etc & by keeping a detailed track of your trading metrics (other than P/L ) to see how efficient your (perceived) edge is & how efficient you are in exploiting it you could set goals to improve those metrics.
That is great advice! I was worried about the same thing and wanted to clear my doubts and figure out what others are doing. Thank you for taking the time to answer this!