Time To Set Some Goals

tradefxlive

With a new year upon us it’s time to take a break and use this time to review and reflect on the year passed. Well this is what i will be doing anyway . There have been many lessons learnt this year, but I think I will blog abouth this at a later date. I think its more importat to know where you are goiing than where you have come from, this being said the need to set Goals is an important exercise.

Without goals it can become difficult to to see the wood from the trees. Let me share one of my goals with you all and then I will show you as Traders how we can set goals using a simple model which I learnt during my education in becoming a Management Accountant.

One of my goals this year is to stay in the business of trading. You may think this is fairly simple but you have to remember the cliche statistic of ‘90% of traders blowing their account!’. To help me achive this this goal I have set my self some 3 simple rules:

1. Only trade from 6am-10am
2. No more than 3 trades per day
3. Only risk 1% of my account size

Providing I stick to the above 3 rules I will have a better chance of being around to fight another day.

Now how do you go about and set your own goals. Well my advice would be to use the S.M.A.R.T model. This helps you break down a goal into 5 pieces.

Specific – What is your goal and why is it important to you.
Measurable – Choose a goal which you can measure.
Achievable – You must beleive that the goal is possible. Something that will take you out of your comfor zone will keep you motivated.
Realistic – You must have the skills to acheive your goal otherwise you are fighting a never ending battle
Time – Please set a time limit otherwise you will not have the motivation to acheive your goal. Setting a time goal gives you something to aim for.

I hope the SMART model helps you to set your own goals. Please feel free to post your comments and I will be more than willing to give you my views.

Also dont forget ‘if your goal is not written down its not worth having’. So please spend 30mins and really write your goals out and have this as part of your Trading Plan.

Bhav

Last edited by a moderator:
don't mind playing this one

I'll ignore the original post though...my trading goal for 2010 is to take £250K 'out of' the forex market....er that's it. Do that and everything else falls into place. Simples..:)

Re: don't mind playing this one

Yep I should have stated my trading style. I am a intraday trader.

Bhav

Last edited by a moderator:
I also will focus on 2 simple goals:
- make £20k profit
- lose no more than 10% of it before year-end
:)

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of percentage return do you expect in a typical year? I assume you use a conservative money management approach i.e. 1% risked per trade. I know from reading the Turtles book that they managed 80% per annum .... I guess it would really be impressive if you were producing anything above this on a consistent basis

I'll ignore the original post though...my trading goal for 2010 is to take £250K 'out of' the forex market....er that's it. Do that and everything else falls into place. Simples..:)

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of percentage return do you expect in a typical year? I assume you use a conservative money management approach i.e. 1% risked per trade. I know from reading the Turtles book that they managed 80% per annum .... I guess it would really be impressive if you were producing anything above this on a consistent basis

I anticipate making (on average) £1,000 each trading day on forex. ;)