Do computers slow down with age?

Writing efficient software is very difficult and it is much easier (and cheaper) to produce lesser software which depends on sheer computer brute force processing powerand lots of memory. No problem with that of course - the customer loves to pay extra for fancy software as long as it's got a snazzy interface.

It all helps to keep the wheels of business turning!

This is very true....software writing before circa Win 3.0 days used to be coded well to take into account the hardware limitations and was designed to run as fast as possible utilizing the available hardware....I remember using CAD software that used to run like a rocket on DOS...even on 386 machine...!...Most bugs were ironed out before release....Not now.......and then came Win 3.00...and suddenly all software got very lethargic, and slowed down in use.....it is released fully bug laden...relying on feedback and guinea pigs to find them so chaps at 1 MS Way can resolve them...!

Windows is noted to produce very heavy software that just relies on brute hardware....if you haven't got it, tough luck is their approach...!

Compared to that every application on MAC appears light and responsive...no temps to delete....no defrag necessary....no virus - yet...UNIX is a lot better..

I think there is a lot be said for 'computing' industry who supplies both - hardware and software packages together as a 'computer...That's the way I think that both - software and hardware can be designed to complement each other.....rather than here is a software....just plonk it into anything that is called a PC....!

...Most bugs were ironed out before release....Not now.......and then came Win 3.00...and suddenly all software got very lethargic, and slowed down in use.....it is released fully bug laden...relying on feedback and guinea pigs to find them so chaps at 1 MS Way can resolve them...!

Wasn't this system of "customer testing" first developed by British Leyland aka Rover with their wonderful cars? Why waste money on R&D when the customer will do it for you for free!

.....Oh there are many other 'creative' approach to Industry like these in Thatcher years....!!...But it is another subject....!

What I use is Defender Pro 5-IN-1. It's a anti-virus and also PC repair. This will help boost your speed but, if you want MAX performance and full PC clean, consider getting Defender Pro-PC medic...I Recommend any Defender Pro product. What I have always used.

Last edited:
What I use is Defender Pro 5-IN-1. It's a anti-virus and also PC repair. This will help boost your speed but, if you want MAX performance and full PC clean, consider getting Defender Pro-PC medic...I Recommend any Defender Pro product. What I have always used.

And if you want to make it a lot faster, install an SSD (ridiculous how miuzch ist even Speeds up booting etc.) and Windows 8 (text drawing about 450% faster than before thanks to doing everything on the graphics Card) ;)

Format your hard drive and re install windows.

A pain I know but it does help.

Lately my machine seems to be slower and does not instantly respond to a press of a button- I usually get a message that Yahoo or T2W is not responding.
Should I try to set my machine on an earlier setting etc or should I take it in for a clean and re-set.
Defrag or some other thing a non techie like me could do ( apart from bash with a hammer)?

Thankyou friends:)

There's no issue like that, its because you might use other latest computers. So that you will feel a bit odd to use your old computer

follow the steps at this site, its like taking your PC to a good mechanic

and to keep my PC running smoothly, once each month i execute the programs shown,
you'll find them at the link provided

Attachments

• 2012-12-21_1508.png
    2012-12-21_1508.png
    28 KB · Views: 232
Computers can slow down as they age. The memory stores bits of data which Are in turn linked to other bits of data (eg having a shortcut on the desktop to a particular programme or file), as you use your pc more and more this grows in size meaning that it takes the processor longer to find and link each piece of data...hence the machine will slow down.

As stated when you remove something it will never be deleted fully. The only way data is deleted is if it is overwritten with other data meaning that unless you deep clean your harddrive then it will not free up space.

Disk defragmenting and cc cleanup definately help though as they arrange data into order so they are linked more closely so the cpu can access the points faster.