Democracy. Is it worth defending ?

of course democracy is worth defending.....but democracy is very fragile and needs constant monitoring and updates from his citizens, here lays its fragility....without participation there is less democracy.

Do we all deserve democracy? I do not think so. Where there is ignorance democracy cannot be sustained and till then its citizens needs to be dictated.

Last edited:
Because servicing that debt takes a great deal of money, money that would otherwise be put to the uses which you value.

thats the problem, the "debt" doesn't matter, it's a figment of your imagination.

an imaginary #

if the debt was ZERO today, would you live any better? :cheesy:

the exploitation of native indians I abhor.

doesn't explain the rapid rise of US as a power in a mere fee hundred yrs.

the US is the PREEMINENT POWER in the WORLD in a mere 200yrs!

has little do with rails

Actually, it has everything to do with rails. Which aided in the settling of the West. Which in turn included the war with Mexico which brought Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, much of California, etc into the Union, all of which encouraged the Spanish-American War. And by the time that was done, we had established ourselves as a military power on both the ground and on the sea, which readied us for WWI.

thats the problem, the "debt" doesn't matter, it's a figment of your imagination.

an imaginary #

if the debt was ZERO today, would you live any better? :cheesy:

Given that all the money now being used to service the debt could be used for something of greater benefit to society, yes.

Actually, it has everything to do with rails. Which aided in the settling of the West. Which in turn included the war with Mexico which brought Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, much of California, etc into the Union, all of which encouraged the Spanish-American War. And by the time that was done, we had established ourselves as a military power on both the ground and on the sea, which readied us for WWI.

yep thats what made America great(n)

Well there is more....

There was WW1 & WW2.

Usually, countries that win or help others fight make a big pile of money.

Loss of British and European colonies were gained by the US who took over influence and interest. ie the Middle East. Lawrence of Arabia, kicked the Ottomans out and then British were sidelined by the yanks.

It's all about energy, first steam then oil. Cheap oil. Cheep Cheap oil. When you got a big country like the US of A and big roads and big cars you need cheep oil. (y)

Not exactly. The British screwed this up pretty well all by themselves via the Sykes-Picot agreement which divided up the ME between the British and the French. In fact, ISIS claimed that one of its goals was to reverse the effects of Sykes-Picot.

None of which has anything to do with the thread, of course, but it's important to know that the ME situation didn't just appear out of nowhere and nothing.

Then of course, there's the Balfour Declaration.

Not exactly. The British screwed this up pretty well all by themselves via the Sykes-Picot agreement which divided up the ME between the British and the French. In fact, ISIS claimed that one of its goals was to reverse the effects of Sykes-Picot.

None of which has anything to do with the thread, of course, but it's important to know that the ME situation didn't just appear out of nowhere and nothing.

Then of course, there's the Balfour Declaration.

would you explain the Sykes-Picot agreement , never heard of this.

Personally, I think any govt worth their salt should run a deficit at any given time in that serves best interest of its citizens.

any govt that has surplus, hello ruzzia & pukin

the govt serves the people, not other way around. should govt run deficit to serve immediate need, so be it!

i ask for your interpretation but too much to ask i guess.

not too muck problem for you to pipe up up later though at any time

There's nothing to interpret. It was an agreement drawn up by the British and the French. It was what it was.

There's nothing to interpret. It was an agreement drawn up by the British and the French. It was what it was.

And Lawrence of Arabia was let down by the politicians in London, he was the man on the ground, he knew what was what after living and working with the people of the region.

And that's when the British and French artificially carved up the region, destroying ancient tribal lines, creating the international boundaries that we see today, what a mess we created.

Poor old Lawrence, but at least he had a cool mortorcycle [emoji1360]

Why is a govt running a deficit so bad? You pay down a deficit at any given time not OFF. any govt thats runs a surplus i have to wonder where the $ is going?

Times change, occasionally must borrow against the future for greater good now.

Thats called a LOAN. a mortgage. a NOTE. a credit card (who doesn't have one?). a marginacct.

i would bet most are running adeficit, ie betting against the future. ask any venture capitalist; ask any trader

betting against the future, what else is there that's gets the juices flowing?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Sacca

Last edited: