Delurking

petevanthoog

Hi folks

I have been a member for a little while and the time has come to make some posts but I have decided that my online persona needed a wee bit of sprucing up so I have chosen another nick called FTSE in Mouth. My split personality will be posting on this thread very shortly.

So it's sayonara from me and over to my schizo twin :).

Pete

Hi everybody

Well let me introduce myself. My name is Pete and I trade Spreads and CFD's on UK and US stocks and equities. I have been trading proper (paper) shares for a long time with varying degrees of success but have been trading 'derivatives' for about 4 months with more success and am learning all the time.

See you all around

Pete

Hi Pete,

Welcome aboard and congratulations on coining the excellent verb "to delurk" :)

No problem at all with your choosing another user name, but we will have to delete your old one "petevanthoog" in a day or two as members with "multiple nicks" (nothing to do with pants I promise) are not allowed, as they are occasionally used for nefarious purposes. ;)

Hi Frugi

Thanks for the welcome. Please delete away as I have no use for it anyway. By 'nefarious purposes' you don't mean to tell me there are trolls on this board too!!! :cheesy:

Thanks again

Pete

FTSE in mouth said:
By 'nefarious purposes' you don't mean to tell me there are trolls on this board too!!! :cheesy:
Pete

There are Trolls everywhere. They lie in wait for poor unsuspecting innocents and gobble them up They've even been known to kill a whole threadload when one would have sufficed to assuage hunger - wicked creatures that they are. But..... over time, means of dealing with their nuisance have been developed and refined such that they are tolerated so long as they keep away from the hen-houses and lambing pens, so-to-speak. To do otherwise involves them running the gauntlet of some determined and expert troll-hunters - in red livery and shouting 'tally-ho', - for Troll hunting has not yet been banned you see.

Serously - welcome aboard - and forgive the rant. Must be all this screen-watching

Hi F.I.M.,
I am embarrased about my non-witty username also.
May I ask what sort of timeframe do you do spreads over, and what tools (charting etc.) do you use? I'm keen to learn too, but I can't really afford whizz bang realtime tools at the mo and am hoping that there are freebies out there.

Hi James

I trade over 1 day to 4 weeks. It depends if it fits in with my profit plan or strategy. It depends. Sometimes I enter at a bad time and can be stopped out in minutes. I always have a stop and a limit order so the trade is mechanical.

I have cocked up so many times that I have really worked on my discipline and money mangement but it is still difficult It is hard to overcome some 30 years of human emotion and conditioning but it seems to be working for now :) .

Now your question about TA tools and data may open up a can of worms so . Remember it depends if you day trade or short term or medium or all 3. Everyone has an opinion of what to use and what not to use but it is what feels right for you and fits in with your trading plan.

I personally believe if you want to show some kind of profit you have to shell out some money for data/news/charting packages.

Good luck and PM me if you want some suggestions.

Pete