Day Trader Demographics

RicG

Hi,

I've been attempting to find reasonably up-to-date demographics on day traders with little success. Beyond the basic Google/Bing searches, I've also looked for such information at the SEC and other governmental websites with no real luck. The only study I've found thus far, that had a small amount of demographic statistics included, was put out by the SEC all the way back in in the year 2000.

At the recommendation of a trading friend, last week I emailed two professors who are known for conducting extensive studies on the markets, not necessarily demographics however, to see if they can help me, but haven't heard back as of this time. Those two are:

Antonio Bernardo, Professor of Finance, at the UCLA Anderson School of Management
Professor Brad M. Barber Graduate School of Management University of California, Davis

I've also contacted The National Association of Day Traders, and have not yet received a response.

So, does anybody here either have access to, or know where I can get current day trader demographics?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ric

. . . So, does anybody here either have access to, or know where I can get current day trader demographics?
Hi Ric,
Welcome to T2W.

I suspect it depends on the specifics of the data that you want to acquire. The people who know the most about day traders (or any other type of trader come to that) are the brokers they have their accounts with. Whatever it is you want to know, chances are that the brokers have the answer! However, whether or not they'll be happy to pass on the information is another matter. Client confidentiality, data protection, along with not wanting to release what they might deem to be commercially sensitive information - all conspire against you. That said, brokers that are limited companies will publish annual reports etc. which may contain broad statistics about their client base.
Tim.

Hi Ric,
Welcome to T2W.

I suspect it depends on the specifics of the data that you want to acquire. The people who know the most about day traders (or any other type of trader come to that) are the brokers they have their accounts with. Whatever it is you want to know, chances are that the brokers have the answer! However, whether or not they'll be happy to pass on the information is another matter. Client confidentiality, data protection, along with not wanting to release what they might deem to be commercially sensitive information - all conspire against you. That said, brokers that are limited companies will publish annual reports etc. which may contain broad statistics about their client base.
Tim.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the kind welcome to T2W.

My search is for the standard demographic subsets; gender, age, ethnicity, language, employment status, location, etc. And yes I'm aware that individual brokers have this type of information, but due to privacy concerns are reluctant to share it. However, there have been studies done in the past in which the data was shared anonymously. I'm just attempting to find a professionally conducted study that is much more recent than the year 2000.

I'll keep searching. I've received some new leads this afternoon. If it's out there I'll find it!

Regards,
Ric

. . . I'll keep searching. I've received some new leads this afternoon. If it's out there I'll find it!
Best of luck with your quest Ric. If you uncover anything of interest - please post your findings here!
:cool:
Tim.

Hi,

I've been attempting to find reasonably up-to-date demographics on day traders with little success. Beyond the basic Google/Bing searches, I've also looked for such information at the SEC and other governmental websites with no real luck. The only study I've found thus far, that had a small amount of demographic statistics included, was put out by the SEC all the way back in in the year 2000.

At the recommendation of a trading friend, last week I emailed two professors who are known for conducting extensive studies on the markets, not necessarily demographics however, to see if they can help me, but haven't heard back as of this time. Those two are:

Antonio Bernardo, Professor of Finance, at the UCLA Anderson School of Management
Professor Brad M. Barber Graduate School of Management University of California, Davis

I've also contacted The National Association of Day Traders, and have not yet received a response.

So, does anybody here either have access to, or know where I can get current day trader demographics?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ric

Hi Ric

An Australian market research company called Investment Trends publishes the most comprehensive survey in to spreadbetting and CFD's each year. Each separate product including FX is covered in great detail.

The drawback is the cost which is around £15,000 to £25,000 depending on the results you wish to see. The chances of you getting a copy are very slim but you may be able to read it and take notes if you have friends in the industry.

Other than that try the marketing departments at the various spread betting firms. They are keen to promote the industry and will normally have no problem providing you with some useful information.

Hi Ric

An Australian market research company called Investment Trends publishes the most comprehensive survey in to spreadbetting and CFD's each year. Each separate product including FX is covered in great detail.

The drawback is the cost which is around £15,000 to £25,000 depending on the results you wish to see. The chances of you getting a copy are very slim but you may be able to read it and take notes if you have friends in the industry.

Other than that try the marketing departments at the various spread betting firms. They are keen to promote the industry and will normally have no problem providing you with some useful information.

Hi highbury,

Thanks for the info. My interest is in a U.S. study. I'm currently working a couple of different leads here. But if anyone reading this has the information I'm searching for (please see the first post in this thread for info), please don't hesitate to post it here or PM me.

Thanks,
Ric