DAX time frames

cd173

I'm curious too know the time scales which can be applied to the DAX. I use signals from Investor IRT which work pretty well on a 1 min chart. However looking on a 30min chart it would 'appear' to give even better results, i.e. fewer trades and more points.
Obviously a bigger drawdown would be needed (could be wrong).
Also would it be possible to enter on a 1min chart, then switch to a 30min chart for 1 trade?

Does anyone out there play the DAX across different time scales and if so what are your experiences and advice.

Thanks in advance
Chris

I think it would be hard to apply a 1 min trade onto a 30 min timeframe. 3 min works best for me in the DAX.

Hi OrderBlaster

I tried it last Friday with some success, but if the market doesn't trend it's pretty pointless.
Can I ask ,is that scalping on a 3min and if so what technique?

Cheers
Chris

cd173 - i know exactly what u are trying to do but its very hard to do personally as your position was intiated by the 1 minute chart and so the tendancy maybe to switch over to that one even tho your trading gut says you should stick with the 30 minute chart.

cd173 said:
Hi OrderBlaster

I tried it last Friday with some success, but if the market doesn't trend it's pretty pointless.
Can I ask ,is that scalping on a 3min and if so what technique?

Cheers
Chris
I go for 5 pts profit (with initial 5 pt stop-loss) automtically trailing the stop-loss 5 pts behind every new tick. When it hits 4pts paper profit, my stop goes to +0.5 to put me at BE+ commish. The DAX moves too fast to do this by hand, which is why I use NinjaTrader front-end with IB. The idea being to cherry pick only the best setups (1-4 per day) because when it works ...I expect a winner within 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

OrderBlaster

I've done some more testing and found that a 2 or 3 min chart works better for me on the DAX as it tends to filter out the duff signals. I generally do 8 trades in the morning session.
Similar trailing stop as to yourself. I use buttontrader frontend with a manual trailing stop

Cheers

OrderBlaster said:
I go for 5 pts profit (with initial 5 pt stop-loss) automtically trailing the stop-loss 5 pts behind every new tick. When it hits 4pts paper profit, my stop goes to +0.5 to put me at BE+ commish. The DAX moves too fast to do this by hand, which is why I use NinjaTrader front-end with IB. The idea being to cherry pick only the best setups (1-4 per day) because when it works ...I expect a winner within 30 seconds to 5 minutes.

How much do you pay in commish? And how much do you pay for Ninja Trader?