Daily Dax

I had to leave for my 9-5. Trading part time, until I build the grub stake to trade full time.

Any reason why you would not trade first 30-45 min? First hour is when I usually have my best trades. Today was a bumpy morning, the yestarday volume was not there, and I let small winners to turn into small losers (lost 6 points in total).

Cheers,
redduke

Hi Red duke
re dax
small volume ,can be volatile ,
I have never had success on the dax first 30/45 mins
its just me

moved on to the dow
I am just sat ,waiting for things to settle down

I wish I could trade US hours, but this is the privilege that I need to earn. Do you know any other instruments that move and liquid enough for intra day trading, which trade around DAX or Nikkei opening hours?

Thanks

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the info. CAC, FTSE and DJ Eurostoxx either do not have the volume or volatility that I need to my style of trading. Between Nikkei and Heng Seng, I heard that HS is too volatile, so Nikkei would be a better option. Do not know this yet for sure, since this is what I heard. I do not think Kospi is tradable for US clients yet, I think it will be by the end of this year, but I will look into it.

I currently look for the ways to trade Nikkei, since it opens around 8pm my time, which would be way better than my current vampire hours. I really do not care which instrument to trade as long as it is modestly volatile and liquid. I need to be able to close positions very quick, hence the need for liquidity.

To my surprise, I could not get a straight answer about Nikkei futures, I am researching the ways for me to trade it.

Regards,
redduke

long on the dax this morning
I hope you got up in time red duke??
I see its 4am in the states now
8.50am in the uk

Hi Hornblower,

Really good morning today. Tons of movement and good volume. I got frightened when I saw 3 blocks of almost 10,000 contracts dealt around 3:55am. But market, did not seem to care, I was short at the moment and it continued to go down.

One of my problems is to identify good trending days, when I can go after 10+ points. I have noticed that if by 3:45 we are approaching around 20K contracts, the market tends to have longer trends. What are your thoughts?

Regards,
redduke

Hornblower,

What is your experience in trading DAX over the summer? How much does volatility decrease? I guess having world cup in Germany this year won’t help in trading volume.

Thanks,
redduke

Did anybody see no quotes/transaction coming for about 2 minutes today from 9:44-9:46am Frankfurt time? Then the price jumped 5 points. My PC acted weirdly today, so I am not sure if it was the market or my PC/e-signal.

Thanks,
redduke

- Producer prices in Germany rose 1.0 pct in April from March and were up 6.1 pct from April last year, the Federal Statistics Office said.

Germany's producer price index rose to 116.6 from 115.5 in April and from 109.9 in April 2005 (2000 equals 100), the office said in a statement.

Hi

Has anyone else found that the DAX has become a bit tricky over the last week or so?
Movements tend to be very swift and sudden. I've had problems getting fills with my current systems because of this.
Mind you, the DAX has never been a slow one, but lately it's very quick!
All seems to have started since the panic selling last week!!!!?!?!?

C

Same thing here way too tricky. The last 2 weeks moves and this morning are not for easy nerves. I just can not believe these 30 point moves within few minutes. Do not get me wrong, I love it, but I know that it can not be sustained like this, and meanwhile my SL in this market are too tight. I did widen it to adjust for larger moves, but it does not sit well with me because my risk increases. Even though my profit potential increases as well, I prefer smaller moves. Another thing is 100K contracts traded within first 3 hours????

hornblower
Yes, no doubt would be wise to look for something a little less wild at the moment!!

RedDuke
I have the same issue. SL is a bit tight at the mo, but the moves are good. I run 2 systems but on different time frames. The longer time frame, with a higher profit target, is doing much better than the other with a smaller Target/SL.
Pays to diversify!!!

C

This morning I could not place a single trade during first 2 hours, the volatility was above my tolerance parameters. It quiet down by 3rd hour, so I was able to make 1 trade, got 9 points. One of the difficult things to just sit there while staring at the charts without pulling the trigger.

Hi Cd173,

I can not trade longer term, I tried multiple times and failed badly. Large stop losses make me too nervous and I start doing some stupid things. With small SL, I trade relaxed knowing that if I take certain # of trades my edge will kick in.

Regards,
redduke

Hi RedDuke

Yes, today again it has been very volatile.
I tend to go for good win/loss ratio with an even risk/reward.
However, these sort of days tend to encourage me to increase the risk/reward ratio and lower the win rate.
PM me if you'd like to swap ideas or discuss tactics.

Cheers
C

Anyone trading the DAX today?

I've been following it now for a couple of weeks having the capability to trade it from work. Employing the 100ema rules from Chartmans thread it seems to work quite well.

Nice bounce off 5550 early doors up to 5590 but since 10.30ish it's been stuck in a 15 point range, perhaps it will liven up the close we get the US open..

I recently got interested in dj euro stoxx 50. The moves are closely correlated with DAX but it is not as volatile, but volatile enough for intra day trading. Also the volume there is huge. It looks like it can easily handle 30-50 cars at a clip.

Today was a ncie morning, got 18 points on dj.

Nice chart Joules...

I am another one who has found trading the Dax not so easy the last 2 weeks....

Missed a chance to go long at 5607 on my CMC charts, went in cautiously at 5638, hoping for a rise above 5700 in next week, before I close my position.