D4F Nasdaq 100 Stocks 1pm Market open

timaru69

Hi all

I have just had an unfortunate experience with Deal4free trading YHOO.

I went short this stock on the 21 April at 35.53. The market closed at 35.85 but my analysis showed that there was a high probability that the price would drop so I set a stop at 36.28.

At around 2pm on the 22 April I logged onto D4F and was surprised to see that my stop had been hit.

Thinking that this was an error as the market hadn't opened yet I phoned D4F who told me that they take NASDAQ 100 stock prices from 1pm onwards. I checked their site and sure enough there it was in black in white. Silly me, will know better for next time.

However during this time D4F famous 5c spread had grown to 15c and the price was bouncing around like crazy as the stock was bought and sold at anywhere from 36.52 to 35.85.

Of course as soon as the market was about to open the price settled down to the closing price of the previous day and then began to plummet by almost $1.

Unfortunately I didn't have a smug smile on my face as I was now out of the position.

I rang D4F to ask why they allowed the quotes to open at 1pm when the prices were so screwy and the market makers were obviously quoting silly prices to lure in the suckers.

Their response was that their customers had asked for this and it was part of the service they offered.

Does this sound right, have I missed something? Why would any sane person want to set themselves up to be ripped off by the market makers before the market opens?

It seems to me that D4F allow this because it means that there is a greater chance that their clients stops get hit ,therefore they make more money. Or am I being too cynical.

I thought D4F were a good choice for the smaller sized (account) trader but now I am not so sure. In any case I'll only be trading NASDAQ stock with Capitalspreads.

I was going to call the Head dealer at D4F on Monday to ask these questions.

Any constructive comments thoughts , advice welcome.

Good Trading

I thought D4F were a good choice for the smaller sized (account) trader but now I am not so sure. In any case I'll only be trading NASDAQ stock with Capitalspreads.

I was going to call the Head dealer at D4F on Monday to ask these questions.

forget it, they won't help!

And BTW a lot of US opens pre market. And also with FTSE you get wild swings and spreads at open for some shares which can trigger stops, so you need to know your share before you place your stop!

timaru69,
There is always the option of removing the stop from the system overnight and replacing it the following day after the open.

Tileman said:
timaru69,
There is always the option of removing the stop from the system overnight and replacing it the following day after the open.

Hi Tileman

Good idea, just fell uncomfortable with open position. Especially if I can;t get to the dealing screnn, could always phone it in I suppose. Thing I feel I shouldn't have to, why do they open the market at 1pm???

I'm still trying to figure out where the demand is for this 1pm opening and why?

Cheers

There can be a healthy trade in many stocks in what is referred to the pre-market hours and after market hours, most companies announce their earnings outside the normal market hours and analyst upgrades / downgrades usually take place here also. I should imagine they are simply trying to compete with DA brokers who offer trading at these times.

I rang D4F to ask why they allowed the quotes to open at 1pm when the prices were so screwy and the market makers were obviously quoting silly prices to lure in the suckers.

"Actual" Market Makers such as GSCO, LEHM, MSCO etc do not trade (ie make a market by quoting bid and ask prices) before the market opens at 2.30pm and what you are seeing are ECN prices and trades. Anyone can trade using ECNs and liquidity is always hugely reduced pre market so you will often see wild swings in price.

I agree that there is little benefit for the Spreadbettor to have pre-market trading facilities but if you switched to direct access then you can (if highly skilled), make profitable trades before the open.

Paul