D4F Commodity Contracts

Helenqu

Established member
Does anyone know exactly which commodity contracts D4F use? Are they US or UK or a mixture and is there a list anywhere cos I can't find it on the site :)

TIA

It looks as if unless otherwise specified, eg UK Cocoa/Oil they are all US, can anyone confirm that for me?

Anyone know of a website that gives good basic info on commodities? What I'm after is background reading/charts etc. Alternatively, or also a good book on the subject.

D4F offers the following:

NYMEX - Pallidium, Platinum, Light Crude.
IPE - Brent Crude
CME - Pork bellies, Cattle
CBOT - Oats, Corn, Rough Rice, Soyabean, Soyabean meal, Soyabean oil, Wheat.
LIFFE - Sugar, Cocoa.
CSCE - Cocoa

My question is I'd like to start off following two or three of these on an EOD basis. Which would be good ones to start off looking at? And how readily available is free EOD data for these, because that might well influence my decision. It may well be that D4F charts are adequate however.

Thanks for the links Paul will check them out :)

Helen,

You could try www.sucden.co.uk my old broker. I'm not sure how far you can get into the site without a password etc.
There's a bit about cocoa,coffee,sugar and metals and some reports and charts. I'll see if I can find some others as well.

Good luck

Thanks guys. Anyone got any opinions about which would be good contracts to follow to begin with?

Chicago Beans always used to be the spec market but I wouldn't know nowadays. The softs are seasonal, which can be useful. Check out the OI and Volumes.

Cheers

Helen, INO.com have a quite a good website devoted mainly to just futures. You can get delayed quotes from there (15 or 20 mins I think) and live quotes with a subscription (don't know how much but it will be on the site somewhere) You can get a daily commentry via e-mail FOC pre-open which gives an indication of the state of the markets for a number of futures contracts/markets. Charts are quite basic but clear. Silver might be one to watch but D4F don't quote it unfortunately. According to the Elliotwave.com website Silver could well make a big move shortly.

You are a wonderfull helpful lot :) Got enough to get me started now. Thank you all.

Helen

Check the CBOT and CSCE websites. CBOT is particularly helpful with lots of training and intro material.

CSCE exchange fees are quite heavy tho for a Sierra/Mytrack datafeed

HTH

Hi Les,

Where have you been hiding? I'm only thinking of watching a couple of contracts for a while. I've chosen IPE Brent Crude, LIFFE Sugar and CBOT Wheat as my three "case" studies.

What I might do is research one at a time and post the results here if anyone else is interested. Would also be good to get other's opinions about my conclusions.

I suspect that the D4F live charts will be adequate for my needs, at least to begin with.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing you soon :)

Helen,

Sounds quite fascinating. I'm certain there'll be a lot of interest in your results/conclusions.

Well having started to do a bit or work on it this morning I've decided to change from Brent Crude to NYMEX light crude. There's much more info on the US market and the D4F charts work better :)

I can't find any typical NYMEX light crude prices anywhere. Does anyone know what the normal spread would be on it?

If you mean the actual price, I suspect it would be the minimum as it's a BIG volume contract.

Cheers
ps Helen, did you post somewhere how to change IB default from LMT to MKT?

Yes I do mean the actual price :) The D4F spread is 0.06 so I would guess that the real thing must be nearer 0.001. But I'd really like to know!

No I don't think I did pots about that. I only ever trade at market anyway, had too many good trades get away from me with limits :)