Best Thread Correlation Trading - Basic Ideas and Strategies

back again

have to say that fade south on USD and Yen is dissapointing on the right 1 hr chart .........

its not as if the Dow has bounced north has it ?

and look at the GBP's move ..........clearly some positive news today

I'm still on that BUY USD and Yen trail today ...waiting waiting

N

Attachments

• hmmmm.jpg
    hmmmm.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 125
The Dow has opened with some positive action.........

let it test the highs of this push............I STILL think theres some USD and YEN buys in the tank this afternoon as Dow gets pressure perhaps later on

also see how uninterested the USD is on the 15m chart with this dow rise ?........its not exactly diving south is it ?:p

So I still think the Daily chart is signalling some Dow retraces this week

and I continue to look to trade the fade of the Daily on lower TF's

N

Attachments

• dow opens.jpg
    dow opens.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 142
this was sent to me .....

Hey NVP not had a chance to look over the whole thread, there's a hell of a lot of stuff here.

Anyway I'm very interested in correlation and spread trading since a long esteemed member here got me into it. Currently I'm only doing Indices (ftse/dow) but have been looking into the possiblity of positive correlated pairs in FX too (gbp/eur, gbp/aud). I've had a look at your indicator and the pdf file but can't quite work out from the code what they are? Are these just weighted MAs?

I'll have another look back through this thread anyway but like I say I'm only experimenting with FX correlation for now while I'm sorting my stuff on ftse/dow.

Last edited:
Response...........

the FXcorrelator below is pretty much a ma based Strengthmeter

It measures the relative strength of each individual currency against each other based on the MA and TF you set

if you were trying to compare it "in look" to any other indicator put a MACD on a normal chart set to (20,1,1) that equates to the FXCorrelator 20ma default setting.....but remember the FXcorrelator measures INDIVIDUAL currency strengths ..... and a normal MACD on a Pairchart measures the PAIRS strength

heres the Corrie on a 1hr E/U chart below.....see where the Euro and USD cross it agrees to the 20 ma line crossover of the Pair chart ?

hope this helps

NVP

Attachments

• 20 ma crossovers.jpg
    20 ma crossovers.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 163
hey all

if you remember I am trying to Fade the Daily trend this week hunting pips

So I am looking for the Dow to weaken on lower TF's off that Bullish Daily action

look at the 1hr TF this week so far (on the right)....

results ?

well actually looks like trading WITH the Daily trend is 2 for 2 and nice signals

Fading is really just 1 for 1 as that first signal in the week did not get the USD 100% above the 20ma

OK "with trend" is winning so far ....2 days left

............or you just ignore the Daily TF and trade the signals on the 1hr TF both up and down ? :cool:

NVP

Attachments

• fading the trend.jpg
    fading the trend.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 169
Why hasn’t gold soared during the eurozone crisis?

If gold is such a ‘safe haven’ asset, then why hasn’t it rocketed during the euro crisis?

This has become one of the key arguments of gold bears. And it’s one that Peter Tasker makes in his latest column for the FT. “Where is the haven that offers protection against the turbulence of markets? Guess what: there isn’t one”.

He’s absolutely right. The term ‘safe haven’ is lazy shorthand used to describe any asset that people pile into when they are feeling scared. But there is no such thing as a consistently ‘safe’ haven.

For example, UK gilts, US Treasuries, and German bunds have all variously been described as ‘safe havens’. But they are among the most overvalued assets on the planet right now. And their prices fluctuate on a daily basis, so they don’t offer any sort of guaranteed protection against capital loss.

And let’s be very clear – gold isn’t a ‘safe haven’ either. Try telling anyone who bought it in 1980 that gold protects the value of your money, and you’ll probably be greeted with a sardonic laugh. It might do so over the very long-term, but a 20-year bear market is enough to test the patience of even the most ardent goldbug.

What most people outside the financial world understand by the word ‘safe’, is that an asset provides a guaranteed safeguard against a nominal loss of capital (ie ignoring inflation).

The only asset that does that is cash. And unless you keep it under a mattress, even that guarantee is only as good as the government-backed deposit insurance scheme that stands behind your bank account. More to the point, it will do nothing to protect you against currency devaluation, debasement, or general inflation.

The real question: why has gold held up so well?

So why hasn’t gold performed spectacularly during the eurozone crisis? Here’s why. If the eurozone collapses, the outcome that people fear most is deflation. That explains partly why so much money has piled into bonds that yield very little.

During deflation, cash becomes more valuable. If prices are falling, a fixed amount of cash will buy more. So as long as you’re holding on to the right currency, you can do very well. Even a minimal yield on a bond issued by a reliable government, will be a big improvement on the complete absence of yield offered by gold.

In fact, I’d argue that the real wonder is that gold has held up so well during the eurozone crisis, particularly when you compare it to most other commodities.

The answer? Well, if deflation is allowed to have its way with the eurozone, then you can expect mass defaults across the globe. That would be very bad news for the global financial system. In turn, that would increase physical gold’s appeal, because it’s one of the few assets that isn’t anyone else’s liability. Its value may rise and fall, but it will never go to zero.

The alternative – and I’d say more likely scenario – is that whatever lies directly ahead, the end game of this crisis involves central banks printing a lot more money. Again, that scenario is good news for gold.

The biggest threat to gold, as far as I can see, is if central banks start to hike interest rates. That time may not come for quite some time. And when it does, it’ll likely be in response to rising inflation, which tends to be good news for gold in the early stages in any case.

Gold is not the only investment – but you should hold some

That doesn’t mean that gold is the only thing that should be sitting in your portfolio. It would be stupid to have 100% of your money in gold, just as it would be stupid to have all of your money in any single asset class.

And gold is certainly not as cheap as it was ten or 11 years ago, when it was self-evidently undervalued. As Tasker puts it, “some assets offer more value than others”. He cites stocks in Japan and Europe, both of which I’d happily add to my portfolio just now. You can read more about ways to play cheap European markets in this week’s issue of MoneyWeek magazine, which comes out on Friday. (If you’re not already a subscriber, you can get your first three issues free here.)

Tasker also notes that US house prices are very low relative to the price of gold. Again, if you’re going to consider buying property somewhere in the world, I’d agree that the US looks more promising than most places (as our regular contributor James Ferguson discussed in MoneyWeek earlier this year: A once-in-a-generation opportunity to pick up prime US real estate).

But I’d also hang on to gold. My view is that 5-10% is about right, but your exact allocation would come down to your own circumstances. It’s there to protect you against extreme financial risks, and there’s still a good chance that we’ll see more of those in the near future.

Also, I’d keep a close eye on the gold price over the coming months. As my colleague Dominic Frisby has pointed out on several occasions, gold’s bull market has followed a fairly reliable pattern of hitting new highs, then consolidating for periods of around 18 months.

The last peak came in late summer of 2011. So we’re not far off the 18-month mark now. If the pattern holds, 2013 could be a very profitable year for investors in gold.

On that point, we recently ran a cover story on investing in gold miners. The writer Simon Popple will be launching a precious metals mining newsletter shortly – look out for it. In the meantime, you can read his piece here: Gold still looks good – but miners look even better.

John Stepek

Editor, MoneyWeek

Alongside my Forex work I am a big follower of relative strength analysis, Indexes and benchmarks

lets be honest we are all here to accumulate wealth .....

Trading , investing , Speculating , Gambling .......

Whatever the best description is for what you are trying to do.....the idea is to start with wealth of value "X" and end up with value "X+Y"..........where "Y" is a positive integer !

So when I read articles concerning the "value" of certain asset classes (like Gold, commodities, Equity indicies, bonds, property etc etc ) my first concern is to strip these down to a relative benchmark and work from there

So the previous Article on Gold is interesting....but immediately I need to start examining the comments in more detail because I need to understand what Gold is really doing in absolute Terms and on a level playing field to other assets ....not just firing off comments with Gold valued in USdollars (XAU/USD) ....thats not an absolute value is it ?....its Gold priced in USdollars that as we know from my FXcorrelator can go up and down independently of Gold ...or any other currency for that matter !

so when you are reading all the multitude of articles out there regarding relative pricing - step back and make sure you agree with what they are saying .......as most of it in truth is just conjecture and speculation in itself with minimal gravitas or substance

always think for yourselves - or pay the consequences
NVP

Last edited:
my Fade trade oddessy continues !

hmm..this looks interesting...and Euro is getting hammered

N

Attachments

• fade trade odessy.jpg
    fade trade odessy.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 129
heres the 4h TF this week........

can you kinda see why I am hunting Yen and USD buys ?

looks like the tide is finally turning for me ....:?:

fading the Euro has been being predicted from day 1 this week anyway

N

Attachments

• questions questions .jpg
    questions questions .jpg
    49 KB · Views: 159
coming nicely now .....

Attachments

• oh yeah .jpg
    oh yeah .jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 146
hey all

look back this week at all my posts here and at my own website

I decided to trade the fade on the Dow this week as I felt it was over-cooked on the Daily’s

that meant I am hunting Dow Sell/USD&YEN buys on the 1hr and 15m charts

well yesterday got better …and overnight looks promising ……

today ?

well time will tell……its been pretty flat actually so no real thoughts from me apart from my strange fixation this week on fading that daily DOW action !!

have a good day

NVP

Attachments

• nice moves.jpg
    nice moves.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
hey all

well that fade is still happening ........lets see what the Dow really does on opening

N

Attachments

• fade 101.jpg
    fade 101.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 193
hey all

well i'm out for a few days now ..........in the Canaries to catch up with some old mates

will log in next week but minimal trading or commentary i'm afraid

I've also got Lance (Beggs) Price action trading books with me to read up on again .....
so that will keep me out of mischief

Enjoy the Olympics closing ceremony......been a great time hasnt it ?

must have been a great Betfair bet simply buying 50+ Medals !

NVP

hey all

well i'm out for a few days now ..........in the Canaries to catch up with some old mates

will log in next week but minimal trading or commentary i'm afraid

I've also got Lance (Beggs) Price action trading books with me to read up on again .....
so that will keep me out of mischief

Enjoy the Olympics closing ceremony......been a great time hasnt it ?

must have been a great Betfair bet simply buying 50+ Medals !

NVP

I actually live 2 minutes from the Olympic Park ahaha.. Been a very noisy 2 weeks.
Aha, your system rocks.. It works really well with S/R, fibo and Elliot Wave analysis . Never knew the extreme power of correlation between currencies until today ..
Your system fits like a perfect jigsaw when evaluating the currency markets.. Thanks NVP, I owe ya one (y)

Response...........

the FXcorrelator below is pretty much a ma based Strengthmeter

It measures the relative strength of each individual currency against each other based on the MA and TF you set

if you were trying to compare it "in look" to any other indicator put a MACD on a normal chart set to (20,1,1) that equates to the FXCorrelator 20ma default setting.....but remember the FXcorrelator measures INDIVIDUAL currency strengths ..... and a normal MACD on a Pairchart measures the PAIRS strength

heres the Corrie on a 1hr E/U chart below.....see where the Euro and USD cross it agrees to the 20 ma line crossover of the Pair chart ?

hope this helps

NVP

Thanks for the reply NVP,

isn't this just Standard Deviation though?

I actually live 2 minutes from the Olympic Park ahaha.. Been a very noisy 2 weeks.
Aha, your system rocks.. It works really well with S/R, fibo and Elliot Wave analysis . Never knew the extreme power of correlation between currencies until today ..
Your system fits like a perfect jigsaw when evaluating the currency markets.. Thanks NVP, I owe ya one (y)

Hi F

yep......it works with all the standard indicators and systems if you know what you are doing ....

the FXCorrelator shows us the INDIVIDUAL currencies as they should be seen

All moving up,down and sideways as the global market evaluates them as INDIVIDUAL currencies...not EURUSD or GBPJPY etc etc.....as they are just pairs...and not individual Currencies :cool:

if you want to truly know what something is doing you have to ISOLATE it .....not sit it with its friends as that is not the truth ? :smart:

anyway good luck to you sir....and feel free to share any of those ideas at any time...we will all learn from you (y)

N