Computer Specs

lote_tree

I currently run a Sony Vaio Laptop with the following specs:

Processor: Intel Centrino M processor 1.60ghz

Ram: 2G SDRAM

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9700 64mb

I run Interactive Brokers with over 60 symbols, Tradestation 2000i with a further 40 symbols and Investor RT with around 63 charts. Obviously my laptop can't hack it anymore so I wanted to ask you guys about specs.

What specs should I be going for to handle everything above? I've currently got my eye on an Alienware desktop but can't decide beween a dual processor or a single processor. The difference in price is only £74 but is it worth going for a dual processor? I'm getting as much Ram as possible, 4G DDR2.

Cheers

LT

Iv just got a new Dell, it runs 8 screens- I only use 5, 2 platforms, and charting software.

Intel® Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz @ 2.39GHz, 8MB cache)
4GB ram
x2 256 ATI Radeon graphics cards.

Its the best pc that I have used, I looked at many different makes and dell was by far the cheapest.

I have no idea what the above means (I just copyed it from the system) but it does run well.

I currently run a Sony Vaio Laptop with the following specs:

Processor: Intel Centrino M processor 1.60ghz

Ram: 2G SDRAM

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9700 64mb

I run Interactive Brokers with over 60 symbols, Tradestation 2000i with a further 40 symbols and Investor RT with around 63 charts. Obviously my laptop can't hack it anymore so I wanted to ask you guys about specs.

What specs should I be going for to handle everything above? I've currently got my eye on an Alienware desktop but can't decide beween a dual processor or a single processor. The difference in price is only £74 but is it worth going for a dual processor? I'm getting as much Ram as possible, 4G DDR2.

Cheers

LT

First of all, Alienware is useless - just a brand image to make performance-insecure people pay more money for the same parts. Home-made is probably best option if you can, but judging by your questions, you'd probably benefit from the support of someone else building it.

Secondly, not sure whether you mean 1 processor vs 2, single core vs dual, or dual core vs quad. I wouldn't bother with multiple processors, but one multi core processor is completely standard - single cores are pretty much redundant.

As for specific processor choice, quad's will give you better performance for intensive multitasking, but I'm running a pretty midrange dualcore with no problems at all.

Far right (with screen) and second from left (no screen) are pretty solid - quicker than mine anyway:
Dell Inspiron 530s Desktop PC Product Details

If you want to pay a bit more:
Dell XPS 420 Desktop PC Product Details
All except the far right on this page, which is complete overkill - a lot more money for a tiny bit of extra performance.

Finally, if you aren't in too much of a hurry to upgrade, it'll probably be worth waiting a couple months - Intel's new processor line is coming out soon, which will either give you the option of something better, or allow you to pick up today's kit for cheaper.

(Also should mention - make sure whatever operating system you go for will work with your trading software)

Thank you guys I really appreciate the info.

fifty2aces,

You gave me a great idea. I've found a friend to build me a PC and he's found some good specs at cheaper prices than both Dell and Alienware, thank you for that idea. (y)

The specs I'm going for :

Intel® Processor Q6600 Quad Core™ (2.40GHz, 1066Mhz FSB, 8MB cache)
ATI Radeon (512Mb)
Corsair DDR2 Ram (4GB)

That should do the trick for what I need shouldn't it?

Cheers

Newer Intel quads are better processors. eg Q9550 (2.8Ghz, 12Mb cache, 1330 FSB) rather than Q6600. A bit more expensive, but still reasonable.

The forthcoming CPUs from Intel need DDR3 memory which is still quite expensive, so they may not be good value for money initially.

Definately go for the dual core and get the max amount of memory that it will fit. Then once you have the PC, crank up the memory swap space. Also get the fastest disc you can. Remember Alientware is just a branding thing...

Intel® Processor Q6600 Quad Core™ (2.40GHz, 1066Mhz FSB, 8MB cache)
Go for an intel E8400 instead of the 6600.

Reason . . . . the E8400 is "only" duel-core rather than quad-core but as very few programs are written to take advantage of this (video/image software mainly) AND the 8400 runs at 3.00GHz rather than 2.4GHz.

Thanks guys I was trying to decide which processor to go for. I'm not too bothered about Intel's new processors, I really need the system A.S.A.P.

I'm going for the quad core and see how I get on.

Cheers

LT