Community Constitution

How about new posters waiting 2-3 mins with
10 daily post limit.
Wouldn't restrict new posters too much.
I think that might actually be better than needing a certain number of posts
before creating a thread?

We can see the effects thats having...

Its currently set at 30 seconds I think, so yes increasing that would help for new members. We're really making them work for their 90p a day now.

Hi Shakone,
Timsk, just a brief look at one thread on FAQ since it's on discussion.
. . . "The odds improve with a fully automated mechanical system, simply because there is little or no discretionary element."

Well...depends on who is trading it doesn't it?

Thanks for your post. That's more like it, s-n-d et al please take note!

In the first part of your post you quoted elements of the short answer and suggested they need changing. Before I can do that, I need to know what's wrong with them? I hope you appreciate that it simply isn't feasible to accomodate everyone's personal preferences, so I can't go around deleting and adding elements willy nilly without good reason. What matters most is that any blatant errors, omissions or misleading ideas are corrected. Anyone with a personal view on any FAQ topic is, of course, welcome to post it in the relevant thread. I trust this makes sense?

With regard to the quote above, I see where you're coming from and have amended the Long Answer accordingly so that it now reads: "It cannot be emphasised enough that the likelihood of duplicating their results - assuming that you want to - is very slim indeed. The odds improve with a fully automated mechanical system in as much as there is little or no discretionary element. Although, here too, results can vary significantly between one trader and the next - trading the same mechanical system." I hope this ammendment meets with your approval!

I haven't read all the FAQ, but I think one could take a a leaf out of the Liquid Valididty book. There is a thread called "A system", which although it's not actually a sensibly tradable system is interesting nevertheless. So is there a FAQ around system building, testing, looking at drawdown, discussing that things with drawdown of 50% are not sensibly tradable, the process of improving the system, dangers of curve fitting and optimisation etc. how one goes about testing all this, what to look out for etc. (there may well be, just asking).
The existing FAQ is quite long enough already, and I think doing as you suggest would involve drilling down into too much detail and weight the FAQ towards mechanical systems trading. That said, it's a good idea and one that I'll keep in mind for a future bespoke FAQ on mechanical systems development. In the meantime, if you or Liquid Validity - or anyone else knowledgeable in this field - felt like submitting an Article to me or Paul - that would be great.
;)
Tim.

Timsk when did I mention your posts? I said the content that you go on about. You said several times that the site got better and there was more trading related talk when everyone else was telling you t2w was dying a few weeks back. I can go back through your posts to find it if you like. You're a legend for it. I'm not trying to wriggle out of anything mate you're just hypersensitive. You can ban me if you like, I couldn't care less. It'll just show Steve exactly what's wrong with the place. Actually I hope Steve takes note of the rather aggressive comment you left on my page. Wonder if this post will stay up.

In the meantime, if you or Liquid Validity - or anyone else knowledgeable in this field - felt like submitting an Article to me or Paul - that would be great.
;)
Tim.

Although I appreciate the comments, I'm not keen on the idea.
I'll explain why:

At times I may be more vocal than most about this stuff.
That does not equate to superior understanding or experience though.
I have not had a massive live drawdown for starters, or an outright failure.
Which is probably inevitable, it has to be said.

Another point is experience time span, putting it bluntly, I am still to all intents
and purposes comparatively new to this.
I can guarantee you there are people on here who know more than me.

Personally, I would much rather see T2W move away from articles by such authors.
That may seem negative, but to end on a positive note, I'll provide what I
think would be a very interesting alternative.

Winton Capital Management | The Hedge Fund Journal
That interview used to be full access.
They now require paid subs and login.
I think if you could agree a mutually acceptable deal,
say T2W reproduces certain articles from them or similar sites,
in return for a certain quantity of free advertising, now that would be interesting.

If their traffic and subs increased as a result, T2W could potentially get paid
advertising as a result.
Seriously, you don't ask you don't get.
Whats the worst that can happen, they say no.
Worth a shot?

. . . Whats the worst that can happen, they say no.
Worth a shot?

Hi L_v,
Thanks for the feedback.
Whilst I don't quite agree with all your comments about the Articles section, I appreciate your point of view and accept that it's not something you'd want to do just now. Regarding your idea about a reciprocal arrangement with The Hedge Fund Journal, Steve will see your post in due course and have a view as to whether or not it's a road we should go down. In principle, I like it and think it's well worth exploring - good suggestion.
(y)
Tim.

Just to clear up any confusion, I'm not saying all the articles are of that ilk.
There are plenty of gems in there as well.
This one springs to mind for starters:
A Day in the Life of a FX Spot Desk Trader (Part 2)

:)

Agreed. So the question becomes then why must we wade through reams and reams of tripe to get to the gems? Why not only post the gems? Same with the threads. T2W constantly go on about it being a privilege to post here etc so then why allow literally hundreds of thousands of bogus members and a million threads full of sheite? To question these things is considered to be going against t2w though so be careful.

Agreed. So the question becomes then why must we wade through reams and reams of tripe to get to the gems? .

Perhaps mr Sharky wants a new Bugatti Veyron

It might be really useful if Steve could set out some sort of vision as to what he's actually trying to achieve here. No one seams to have the slightest idea.

It might be really useful if Steve could set out some sort of vision as to what he's actually trying to achieve here. No one seams to have the slightest idea.

Or maybe Tim would care to explain the vision ? ..... I thought not :LOL:

Attachments

• March-hare.jpg
    March-hare.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 118
Hello Everyone

First of all I'm sorry to have not been involved in this last exchange as it has unfolded. I was busy smoking some of that stuff Neil mentioned! Actually, I was in Court dealing with people who really do smoke it.

Anyway, I'm back at the computer fully tomorrow so i'll take another look at everything that has been said and make some comments of my own.

Once again thanks for the varied contributions, I really do appreciate them.

Steve

@Steve

Steve, please can I have your thoughts on two features I have suggested many times but had no feedback on: Firstly, the option to "follow" another member, and be advised when they have made a new post (so members can easily see posts they are likely to be interested in). Secondly, the option to mark a thread as "unread" in ones settings panel (so members can read new posts in a thread, consider responses, and go back to reply).

I feel that both of these features, if implemented, would make finding material that members appreciate much easier to find, and in turn, contribute to*.

Thanks,

HM

* and please don't use the potential for vendor abuse as a critique. The whole vendor "problem" has been blown way out of proportion IMO... there is still chaff >> wheat.

@Steve

Steve, please can I have your thoughts on two features I have suggested many times but had no feedback on: Firstly, the option to "follow" another member, and be advised when they have made a new post (so members can easily see posts they are likely to be interested in). Secondly, the option to mark a thread as "unread" in ones settings panel (so members can read new posts in a thread, consider responses, and go back to reply).

I feel that both of these features, if implemented, would make finding material that members appreciate much easier to find, and in turn, contribute to*.

Thanks,

HM

* and please don't use the potential for vendor abuse as a critique. The whole vendor "problem" has been blown way out of proportion IMO... there is still chaff >> wheat.

Yes I'll certainly let you have my thoughts. I'll do some digging tomorrow as to the practicalities/implications and get back to you. Meanwhile, what do the rest of you think on this subject?

Hello Everyone

First of all I'm sorry to have not been involved in this last exchange as it has unfolded. I was busy smoking some of that stuff Neil mentioned! Actually, I was in Court dealing with people who really do smoke it.
Steve

Out of interest, what percentage of ALL the cases that come before you, have a drugs element involved?

cheers cv

Out of interest, what percentage of ALL the cases that come before you, have a drugs element involved?

cheers cv

This has to be answered by the type of Court. On most days we can have up to 8 Courts running with different business in each. Domestic Abuse Courts will rarely see drugs at the base of the problem, neither would a Traffic Court for example.

This takes us to a more 'general' Court where we will see all sorts of things so it then comes down to the actual offence. The cases involving the idiots who plague our streets on a friday night, drinking till they are senseless and then beating people up will very rarely involve drugs.

The reverse of this is shoplifting where almost invariably the crime is being committed to feed a drug habit.

The most obvious are the cases of usage/supply where these are 100% about the drugs.

Sorry if this has gone on a bit, hopefully you can see from this that the answer would be different for each person depending on the day of the week you ask!

Hi Steve

Can you discuss the practicality and negative implications (I'm assuming there are some cos this idea has Bern met with resistance in the past) of removing the vast amount of threads containing rubbish (prolly 80% of all threads at a guess) and removing the 100k+ bogus user accounts in order to streamline content and make it relevant to where you see t2w going in the future. I'm sure you and most others will agree that this place is currently like the loft full of sheite that never gets cleared out.

Thanks

Teh

Hi Steve

Can you discuss the practicality and negative implications (I'm assuming there are some cos this idea has Bern met with resistance in the past) of removing the vast amount of threads containing rubbish (prolly 80% of all threads at a guess) and removing the 100k+ bogus user accounts in order to streamline content and make it relevant to where you see t2w going in the future. I'm sure you and most others will agree that this place is currently like the loft full of sheite that never gets cleared out.

Thanks

Teh

Scose.
This is the best idea I have ever heard.
(y):clap:(y)

Scose.
This is the best idea I have ever heard.
(y):clap:(y)

I'm not saying that its a bad idea but how would it be done? I'm guessing it would be a manual process requiring someone to read every thread and make a decision whether to delete or not.

How would eliminating user accounts streamline content?
Old threads should be archived. It may help speed up the site.

Peter

Hi Steve

Thanks

Teh

Yes I'm happy to discuss it because this has been bugging me since I joined. There is a need for a clear out/tidy up in a whole number of areas so that we can allow the good stuff to show through.

As PB has rightly pointed out, regardless of any other implications it requires someone to actually do it. This someone would need the knowledge to enable them to make the right call about what should stay or go (admittedly some of this will be pretty easy). They will also need to remain unbiased - one mans rubbish is another mans treasure kind of thing.

I don't have that person(s).

The reality is that there are more important things fighting for attention at the moment and these are tying up the limited resources I have. In an ideal world stuff like this could be attended to in the background and we have been trying to do this in a limited way over the last few months.

Take the old General Trading Chat thread as an example. There is some excellent material in there and I don't want to lose it so we have been trawling through trying to figure out where to reallocate things. So far we have only done a few months so there is still much work to do here.

Having said this, if I could find a way to make it happen more quickly I would seriously consider bringing it higher up the list so any suggestions will be gratefully received.

If I can't then we'll have to get the other stuff done and return to this when time permits.