Best Thread COFFEE - The next big bull?

Hi BGold -

Coffee has indeed made a signicant correction from the 14175 highs (Basis July).

If you look at the July Weekly Continuous Log Chart (below), you will see :

1) We have just bounced off a trendline support .

2) We have just bounced off a horizontal Support Line (previous Weekly Swing Highs).

There is SOME chance the market will respect this support area and base around here, before recovering thru May/June. We are at a low point on the 15-year SEASONAL charts.

Failure to hold this support would call for a test of 11000 support (july). Breaking that would project down to the next trendline, which is around 10500-10600 BASIS JULY.

One the UPSIDE, we have :

1) weekly resistance at 13200-13300 JULY
2) Weekly resisance at 14000=14175 JULY (the old highs)

I too am looking to reposition LONG on further evidence of a LOW formation. Note - May FND is THRUS 21st APRIL.

Attachments

• july weekly cont log coffee.gif
    july weekly cont log coffee.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 186
Bought July NY Coffee today on the (gap) open at 11610.

Proved timely, market up over 600 points by the close.London shot 70 higher and broke out of the recent downtrend.

Looking to add on pullbacks. Major seasonal high due Late May, or into June. Dollar is waeker, CRB is UP, renewed concerns about dryness in Brazil and the ongoing drought in Vietnam.

A Brazil Crop estimate is due Friday. May FND is 21st April.

Attachments

• jul coffee LOG.gif
    jul coffee LOG.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 155
Another strong close today - the market should test/break the downtrend (off the old highs) soon

The 50% retracement of the entire downward correction is 12725.

40 Day MA is 12716.

Look for these to be tested , before a short-term correction lower, where I will add more Julys and leverage up for the seasonal rally into Late May - June.

The previous contract highs of 14175 Basis July would be the first objective upon a break of the down channel.

Attachments

• july coffee.gif
    july coffee.gif
    22.3 KB · Views: 154
Daily Bull Flag projects to 13500 - (on a breakout NORTH)

Attachments

• daily bull flag.gif
    daily bull flag.gif
    18 KB · Views: 153
Breaking out strongly as I type - up 600+ points to 12900.

The Brazil CONAB crop estimate is out today, after the close.

Expectations are for the Brazil Govt. to lower it slightly, due to recent dry weather.

By Susan Buchanan
Of Dow Jones Newswires

NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--The already-jittery U.S. coffee industry is
preparing for another Brazilian winter and further price jolts after the New York Board of Trade futures market surged in March, according to industry
members.
Donald Schoenholt, president of New York-based Gillies Coffee Company, the oldest American roasting firm, said with recent ups and downs in prices, the world has spun out of control for the U.S. industry.
The frost watch in top-producer Brazil starts in late May and continues into August.
Brazil had a devastating freeze on July 17, 1975 - known as the Black Frost - that trimmed its 1976 crop by two-thirds. "When planes flew over the coffee area, instead of seeing the usual green tracts, growing areas were black," Schoenholt said.
Two other major frosts occurred in June and July 1994. Since then, Brazilian trees have gradually been moved out of frost-prone
Santos and Parana, and up into Sul de Minas in Minas Gerais and Cerrado. Chances of a devastating freeze are lower today than they were a decade ago, but the futures market can still react dramatically to any hint of cold weather, Schoenholt said.
Frost is still nothing to sneeze at, since beans could be fine after a freeze, but trees are affected for next year's crop. If groves need to be replanted, it takes three to five years for them to bear fruit.
The market is "just coming out of a tragic, five-year crisis of
historically low prices, that left quality beans in short supply, "Schoenholt said. "Prices turned around dramatically in the last eight months or so as money managers flocked to commodities, with the stock market in the doldrums and low ret on most investments."
The Nybot May coffee contract rallied from $1 a pound in January to a more than 5-year high of $1.3950 in March, only to set back and surge again. The
most-active July contract closed at $1.2780 on Friday.
"We're seeing 5% price moves in a day, something that was unheard of in
earlier years, and it's not really related to the buying and selling of coffee
or to market fundamentals," Schoenholt said.
Large roasters "price-fix" before Brazil's winter, buying futures
contracts to offset the physical coffee they bought. "The big companies - P&G
(Procter & Gamble), Kraft and Sara Lee - have the banking arrangements,
financial stability and company minds to protect themselves," Schoenholt
observed. Small roasters by contrast don't have the cash to buy 37,500 pounds
of coffee, the equivalent of a futures contract, much less the banking
accommodations or the staff to manage a hedge program.
Adding to current industry concerns are logistics woes in Sumatra,
Indonesia, where prices are up 70% since the December tsunami, he said. A
series of earthquakes cut phone lines, damaged roads and sent workers
scattering, though trees themselves were unscathed.
Schoenholt is a founder of the 3,500-member Specialty Coffee Association of America - started in 1983 and representing gourmet coffee growers and dealers - and was voted Coffee Man of the Year in 1998.

World Supplies Tight Heading Into Brazil's Winter

"The main reason prices have risen is that we're expecting an 8-million to 10-million-bag deficit in the world balance in 2005-06," because of the smaller Brazilian crop, said Rodrigo Costa, trader with Fimat USA in New York. "With a threat of cool weather in Brazil in June or July, futures can scale $1.50. If there's frost damage, any prediction is science fiction, but we could get above $3, $3.50 or $5 to uncharted waters. No one really knows."
Without cold weather, however, the Nybot futures market will erode in August under the weight of the advancing Brazilian harvest and could gradually back down to $1, Costa said.
Brazil's new crop, harvested from May to September, is seen at 32.46 million 60-kilogram bags, below 38.7 million last season, according to the government's National Commodities Supply Corp. on Friday.

Chance of Frost Greater Than Normal

The last significant frost event in Brazil's coffee areas was in 2000 and the last major freeze was in 1994, observes Drew Lerner, president of World Weather Inc. in Kansas. Three significant freezes, including one major one, have occurred since 1984. Earlier, however - from 1963 to 1984 - Brazilian growers suffered thirteen frost and freeze events.
A recent reduction in freeze frequency might be because of atmospheric warming or a 22-year sunspot cycle, called the Hale Cycle (which encompasses two 11-year cycles in sunspot activity), Lerner said. Hale cycles appear to correspond well with changes in Brazilian freeze frequencies.
In 2005, recurring upper atmospheric circulation patterns, sunspot distribution, and ENSO (El Nino-Southern Oscillation) conditions are similar to those in 1969, when a moderate frost occurred in July, Lerner said.
"Similarities make a strong case for possible frost and/or freeze
conditions this year. Our computer trend model suggests periods in the Southern
Hemisphere winter this year most favored for cool weather of significance are May 13-16, June 15-19 and July 23-27."

-By Susan Buchanan, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5950;
[email protected]

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

Here's my take on that article:
There is a higher chance of a frost in Brazil, this year. However, the coffee growing areas have moved to places where frost is less of a threat. So, if we hear of a threat of a frost or a frost actually occurring, BUY!!
But be ready to take profits when the news comes out that the trees weren't harmed. If the trees are harmed, though, .....Well, I love "science fiction".

An interesting article!

Coffee May Give Investors’ Portfolios A Jolt
Posted at 20:09 in agriculture.
By David J. DesLauriers -

TORONTO (ResourceInvestor.com) -- After reaching their nadir in December 2001 with an all-time contract low of 41.5 cents, coffee futures have rebounded smartly. The price of a pound of coffee doubled in the past year recently peaking at $1.50, and settling back into the $1.20 range. While it would appear that there may still be some profit taking ahead, the longer-term picture looks quite attractive.

Commodity expert Jim Rogers has ‘bean there, done that’. He saw coffee at its all-time high of $3.25 per pound in 1977. Today, he is quite bullish and believes that that mark could well be surpassed in real terms.

“With the price of coffee below the costs of production for years, coffee growers in the 14 or so major coffee-exporting countries around the world have been quitting the business in droves.”

Brazilian coffee growers, the world’s largest exporters have been replacing their coffee trees with sugarcane and soybeans, and the Colombians have been supplanting coffee trees with coca plants.

Coffee is unlike sugar or some other agricultural commodities. Just as a new copper or gold mine, once discovered, takes years to bring on stream, coffee trees take 3-5 years to start yielding beans. That means that as coffee prices rise, the new production will simply not be there.

For this reason, the effects of the shortage created by all of the growers that left the industry during the glut years of low prices is beginning to be translated into higher prices for the consumer. The International Coffee Organization projects that global coffee production will fall somewhere between 105 and 107 million bags in the 2005-2006 season, with demand anticipated at around 120 million bags. This should continue to eat away at global inventories, which are already at their lowest level in more than 15 years.

As inventories continue to decline, there are two X-factors which could play well for speculators. The first is the weather. Jim Rogers says in his book Hot Commodities that the coffee bean is very fickle indeed. It is “the original middle-roader – not too hot, not too cold, just the right amount of rain.” A study by Salomon Smith Barney found that the in the 20th century there have been 17 “major freezes” or about one every six years. Meteorologists realize that we are due.

The second X-factor, of course, is the one that plays a part in the fate of almost every commodity these days – China. Right now China accounts for only one percent of world coffee consumption, but the popularity of the drink appears to be increasing. Starbucks (NASDAQ:SBUX) has been able to find enough Chinese coffee drinkers to justify opening 160 stores there since 1999. Coffee producers are hoping that China will go the way of Japan which emerged from a traditional tea-drinking nation into what is now the world’s third largest consumer of coffee. If this happens, watch out. As investors know from any promotion involving China, multiply something by a population of 1.2 billion and the potential reward is always humongous.

All in all, there appear to be good reasons to be in the coffee market, as a decade of low prices is finally righting the supply/demand picture, and it will be years before production rises to the necessary levels. Add to that the consequences of an intervention by Mother Nature or a new coffee-drinking zeitgeist amongst China’s burgeoning urban middle class, and one can see how things could really start to percolate.

Trendy chaps who indulge themselves daily at Starbucks should not be surprised to see a rise in the price of their mocha-half-frap-no-fat-latte, but may well be able to counteract that painful eventuality with a timely and well-placed speculation.

Source: Resource Investor

Agreed the long term picture looks good on the yearly charts just be prepared to ride out short term corrections esp. if we dont get any frost in Brazil.

July NY Coffee Bull Flag .

A breakout to the UPSIDE would project to around 15435 area.

Attachments

• 3465.gif
    3465.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 197
Care to comment , oatman?

What do you conclude from those stats?

It has been reported recently that 2005 is very similar to the 1969 FROST eyar - in terms of upper-atmospheric circulation and low sunspot activity. This comes from World Weather Inc., who say that there is a greater statistical probability of forst in Brazil this year as a consequence.

Ofcourse the obvious mitigating factor is that since the 1994 devastatinfg frost, the Coffee groves have moved further north , on average.

Really, this year, the frost possibility is just a side issue, IMO. We have had drought in Braxil and Vietnam, supplies are tightening (esp. for quality coffee), World production deficit this year is forecast to be around 8 million bags, and the market has broken out of a 4-6 year basing formation o the monthly.

We are going MUCH higher for the balance of 2005 and into 2006, but ofcourse with sizable corrections on the failure of FROST to materialise, harvest pressure, etc.

I see 16000-17000 before July, perhaps a sharp correction thereafter, then resuming uptrend from Augst/Sept through to December.

By early 2006, we could be well over $2.00, IMHO.

Parobolic

Hybrid Thread

coffee-kona-bag.jpg
Certified​
DaveT said:
I see 16000-17000 before July, perhaps a sharp correction thereafter, then resuming uptrend from Augst/Sept through to December.

Attachments

• Coffee.jpg
    Coffee.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 221
anyone know where I could get historical - intraday (at least 3 months worth) close data for LIFFE ROBUSTA ?

I was involved in coffee for a number of years and saw some frosts. I'd say there's more hype than knowledge. As you say, the trees in Southern Parana were the most vulnerable and the plantings have moved north progressively. I don't think you can predict reliably enough to trade. The rumours of weather fronts moving toward and away from the coffee regions are rife and the market swings accordingly. If you want to play dangerously then sell in front of the weekend when the covering's going on and buy back on Monday when there's no frost.
Of course,if there IS a frost................... :eek:
Good luck

Is anybody trading LIFFFE coffee with interactivebrokers? Any comments or complaints would be appreciated. Also with LIFFE if I have a limit order for one contract can the players is the "upstairs market" preference around me? What are the bid ask spreads like in the LIFFE coffee markets, one tick, two ticks, five ticks?
Thanks

London vs NY

using CS - although interested to know what spreads IB are offering.

On another note anyone care to comment on the spread between the the London and NY Markets - seems to be larger than average and may present a trade opportunity ? I assume the appreciation of the dollar since May is an key factor ..

e.g spread to narrow or outright long KCN05 position.

fscom

Attachments

• KCN05_vs_LKDN05.png
    KCN05_vs_LKDN05.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
guys anyone in here or what? awfully quiet - any view / comments / projection of have people moved out of coffee already ?

I've been looking at the weekly chart (left) , thinking the market could go down to about 1.00 or so, but it doesn't seem the fundamentals warrant that much of a break. (There is, however, a pennant on the weekly chart, which could support a breakout to the upside.) I had a lot of support lines drawn on my daily chart (middle) and all but the last one got violated. That last support line didn't look very supportive to me. A few days ago when it paused, I began looking for a new support line that would make sense. I found one (right), but I like parallel lines...channels. I found one. I feel comfortable with what I've found, so I bought. The next day or so should tell me if I'm right.

Attachments

• weekly.GIF
    weekly.GIF
    48.5 KB · Views: 200
  • daily1.GIF
    daily1.GIF
    43.2 KB · Views: 168
  • daily2.GIF
    daily2.GIF
    45.5 KB · Views: 178