Best Thread COFFEE - The next big bull?

DJ Brazil's Coffee Exporters To Lose Market Share In 2005-Official
(Repeating)

SAO PAULO (Dow Jones)--Brazilian coffee exports will fall 15% to 20% in
2005 because of declining local production, said a top Brazilian coffee
export official Wednesday.
The country's world-leading green coffee exports totaled approximately 23
million 60-kilogram bags in 2004. But with Brazilian coffee production
expected to drop to 30.7 million to 33.1 million bags in 2005-06 (July-June)
from 38.6 million bags this year, Central American and Vietnamese competitors
will inevitably gain market share, said Guilherme Braga, president of
Brazil's Green Coffee Exporters Council, or Cecafe.
"There simply aren't the stocks to maintain our volume of shipments," he
said in a phone interview.
However, Brazil's competition will only have coffee to fill half the
expected 4 million-bag drop in output, he added.
"Vietnam and Colombia simply won't have the coffee to fill the gap," said
Braga.
As a result, Brazilian exporters expect already rising international
prices to jump further in the first half of 2005.
An average New York Board of Trade coffee futures price of $1.20 per
pound is a distinct possibility, said Braga. Nybot front-month prices broke
below $1.00 a pound Tuesday, falling back after hitting a four-year high of
$1.0840 last week.
"The market fell in the last week but it is gathering strength to rise
again," he said.
Higher prices will more than compensate dropping physical exports,
resulting in export revenues equal or slightly higher than the $2 billion
expected for 2004.

-By Alastair Stewart; Dow Jones Newswires; 5511 3145 1488;
[email protected]

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

FSN35501 ABCST COFFEE FOOD TOP
2005-01-05 20:49:08 UTC
^^^^^^

Is coffee finally through correcting today (Jan. 12)? I hope so. I just got long May at 101.00.

was stopped out earlier , will wait to see if this is actually a reversal not entirley convinced.

I have been adding to my May Coffee LONG position at recent levels (since Monday) - saw good support developing yesterday.

My analysis suggests we may have put in a significant low. -

My 1st target (for this position trade) remains 12200-12400, which may take through February to acheive.

I think Coffee is poised to take out the December contract highs before too long - either late-January or early February.

The Coffee Seasonal Chart shows a strong seasonal rally for the month of February. The price action has closely replicated the seasonal chart over the last 9 months or so.

Assuming this year we have started a Major Bull Market (as per the bullish fundamentals previously discussed), one would expect the seasonal rallies to be STRONGER than the average, and the seasonal declines SHALLOWER than the average.

This is what could be transpiring now in Coffee. The late-January low has been put in early (Jan 10th/11th) and we are now poised to continue through to a seasonal high around mid-late February.

This should take the March contract to 11800-12500, in my opinion.

Still LONG May from 9650 (in December) and added at 9900 on Jan 10th correction lows. Target 12200-12500, then I will likely take profits and wait for an entry point for the JULY contract, in March time frame.

I aim to capture a good portion of this Bull market over the next 6-9 months or so, with 2-4 position trades only.

Here is the seasonal chart, and the current daily March chart:

Attachments

• KC.gif
    KC.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 202
  • mar coffee.gif
    mar coffee.gif
    23 KB · Views: 243
In March Coffee:

Today could confirm the breakout of this traingle continuation pattern - especially with a gap up opening (Breakaway Gap?)

As previously noted, February is a seasonally strong time frame.

Looking for a move to 11800-12200 (for the March) in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• mar coffee log.gif
    mar coffee log.gif
    23.6 KB · Views: 187
DaveT said:
In March Coffee:

Today could confirm the breakout of this traingle continuation pattern - especially with a gap up opening (Breakaway Gap?)

As previously noted, February is a seasonally strong time frame.

Looking for a move to 11800-12200 (for the March) in the next few weeks.

I wonder what the odds are of a more complex consolidation? Wave 2 was into the 200Oct lows at 7500 was a simpe correction. Given Elliott's guidelines of alternating wave corrective structures one would expect a more complex conosilidation into wave 4.
We'll know soon enough.

Attachments

• coffee.gif
    coffee.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 224
Bgold - it's a posibliity, ofcourse.

I must confess I do not study Elliot Wave Analysis. From what I have seen (from other trades on other forums) it can get very subjective. (ie. Put 10 traders in a room , and they could each come up with a different Wave count.)

I find conventional Technical Analysis to be much simpler/straightforward to extrapolate.

IMHO.

Reuters Poll of traders/analysts : forecast 173 c/lb on NY for 2005 on frost concerns.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acording to this daily SUCDEN report :

Coffee/Cocoa/Sugar Comment (2nd month prices)
LIFFE Coffee up 17 to 769. CSCE Coffee down 0.65 to 107.45. LIFFE coffee futures ended near a 4-week high after heavy
fund buying pushed up prices. NY arabica coffee futures finished down from a near one-month high yesterday, pressured by
short-term speculative and trade profit-taking.
Coffee prices are expected to be volatile in 2005 with huge increases possible if bad weather worsens an expected production
deficit according to a Reuters poll released yesterday. NYBOT’s arabica futures contract could surge 67% by the end of 2005
to 173 cents a lb if frost dents output in Brazil according to a median forecast of 9 traders and analysts, but if there are not
other supply shocks to hurt production prices may only rise 8% to 112 cents a lb. However arabica estimates ranged from 125
cents to 250 cents in case of frost, and 85 to 225 cents if there is no frost, suggesting that the market remains unsure as to
direction, but is on balance bullish. However they warned that prices will be dependent on moves by large investment funds,
which were behind last year’s 45% rally.
The median forecast for the coffee shortfall for 2005/06 was 5.4 million 60-kg bags after a surplus of 2.5 million bags in the
previous season. Brazil’s harvest is expected to fall to 35.8 million bags in 2005/06, but Vietnam is expected to provide ample
supply of 14 – 15 million bags this year and next. World output is forecast at 111 million bags in 2005/06, down from 117
million in 2004/05.

DAVE T Where or how can I buy 2 coffee futures? I am from Spain. My banks have little or no information on the futures market.

Regards

Market looking ripe for a correction I think before resuming upward course (all other things being equal) ?

STJEPO -

To buy Coffee futures you will need a registered futures broker, or you can place a spread-bet on the future (here in the UK at least)

I am only familiar with UK and US brokers, such as

www.sucden.co.uk
www.bfl.co.uk
www.ccstrade.com
www.nsfutures.com
www.xpresstrade.com
www.refco.com

To place a spread-bet on the Coffee futures, you need to have an account with one of the following:

www.igindex.co.uk
www.finspreads.co.uk

or any of the other main spread-bet companies (see the Spread-betting thread on this forum for further info)

I am not sure what the opportunities for these accounts are in Spain, buy I think Finspreads have an Itialian Division now. Perhaps you could search on Google for brokers/futures info in your local area/language.

I hope this helps.

[

NY Coffee at 5-year highs.
--------------------------------------

Well ,we broke out of the symmetrical triangle in fine style on Friday.

I have been holding May Longs since December, adding on major corrections.

1st May Continuous Weekly Resistacne is at 11500 (from year 2000)

2nd May Continuous Weekly Resistance is at 12700 (July 2000 highs)

Over the weekend the US finalised it's proposed re-joining of the ICO (international Coffee Organisation), an announcement which has long been expected to have a positive effect on Coffee prices.

Brazil weatther is drying out, Carnival is underway this week, and supplies are tight. (gewtting tigher). Stocks-to-use ratio is forecast at 16% for 2005-6, the lowest in over 20 years. Roasters are buying every dip, commercial are covering shorts( AT LAST!) and funds are not as long as expected (COT).

February is seasnally strong for New York Coffee.
London has broken put of it's bull flag and is RACING higher.

We have all the ingredients for a major run-up in Coffee prices this year. I'm looking for 12000's in the next few weeks, 14000-15000 by April/May at least, and perhaps even higher by September-Demeber.

The title of this thread (Coffee-the next Big Bull?) is finally starting to ring true.

Attachments

• may coffee.png
    may coffee.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 154
Great Stuff

Hi Guys

I have just read the whole thread over the last few days after starting to get interested in Spreads.
I must say your analysis of the whole coffee situation (Gene, DaveT) has been pretty impressive.
I think anyone wanting to learn how to make an informed choice on when and where to enter a trade based on fundementals and charts could do a lot worse than study your careful analysis of the coffee futures.

I would have loved to have joined you in the trade but am only just getting organised.

I would like a bit of help in the nuts & bolts of trading futures.
As I said I am mainly looking at trdaing Commodity Spreads to start with as I have been advised they are less risky.

I would like to know the best place to get charts for commodities, and a good broker where I can actually trade contracts.

I wonder DaveT do you trade electronically or use a telephone based broker?

I know you provided a list of brokers for our Spanish friend but would like to know which is the best one for a UK trader.

thanks for your help and keep up the excellant posts.

Agreed its a very good and profitable thread to read :)

personally I use www.myfuturesource.com for delayed (15min) prices and use IG to trade - although I will be migrating trading to CS since IGs spreads are a bit extreme on this 12 vs 5 (even on of their traders admited it yesterday! - he also promised me he will bring this up in thier next meeting ...mmmm :rolleyes: )

Monarch,
For charts, I favor FutureSource products. (I think E-Signal may be their parent company.) You can also get charts from a broker. To find a broker, just bring up your browser and type "futures broker". Take some time to shop around and compare.
I don't know much about spreads. Are they less risky in terms of the amount of money one can lose on a trade, or in terms of percentage of trades you may lose. I believe straight futures are more profitable.

CS - "Capital Spreads" If you want more info check out there own thread in the SB section of the forum.

Any thoughts on where this thing might go? I cannot pick a target without calling myself overambitious.

Attachments

• KCWhere.GIF
    KCWhere.GIF
    43.3 KB · Views: 173