CMC Markets Charts : No Volume ?

cshieldsx

I just signed up with CMC and I really like the platform except that I can't seem to get volume onto the charts ? On the built in platform chat with the helpdesk, they said their charts don't feature volume ?

Whats that about ? Seeing as all indicators are pretty much derivatives of 2 variables, price and volume, how can they not display volume ?!? Thats 50% of the available data ! :mad:

Someone please tell me the helpdesk are morons, and I have just missed the "display volume" button !!! PLEEASEE!

I've just got a demo account with them but I couldn't see any sign of volume. I'm not suprised as their figures are only an approximation of the underlying market, not linked to the market itself.

I also noticed that you can't get a pl on an individual transaction but only an aggregate figure for the instrument based on all the transactions you've placed for it (unless it's disabled on the demo account).

From memory it's the same with CS and Finspreads not having volumes.

yeh I noticed the no PL on a single transaction, its pretty annoying. So annoyerd about lack of volume, going to have to use charts from elsewhere !

These are "Spreadbetting Companies" who provide their own quote of the markets they allow you to bet in. Why would you think they would have volume ?

Also it is very sound policy to have your own independent datafeed if you are using any of these companies. On numerous occasions I have heard of people being taken out of trades based on the SB quote when the true market never went anywhere near it. It is only when challenged with independent data feed evidence that they would reinstate the original trade. This has happened so frequently and to so many people that the cost of having your own data feed should be considered in my view.

Paul

These are "Spreadbetting Companies" who provide their own quote of the markets they allow you to bet in. Why would you think they would have volume ?

Also it is very sound policy to have your own independent datafeed if you are using any of these companies. On numerous occasions I have heard of people being taken out of trades based on the SB quote when the true market never went anywhere near it. It is only when challenged with independent data feed evidence that they would reinstate the original trade. This has happened so frequently and to so many people that the cost of having your own data feed should be considered in my view.

Paul

Couldn't agree more. It's also quite useful for seeing how much the SB companies are manipulating the price away from the underlying market. Some seem worse than others but they all do it.

SB's are a sideline for me (I mostly swing trade equities) so I already have the datafeed costed in. I suspect the cost may put some people off but it is well worth having.

I already have the datafeed costed in. I suspect the cost may put some people off but it is well worth having.

Who do you use?

I trade only indexes, I've been looking for info on total index volume and can't find it - does anyone provide it or do you have ot work it out from the constiuents!

Who do you use?

I trade only indexes, I've been looking for info on total index volume and can't find it - does anyone provide it or do you have ot work it out from the constiuents!

I use Sharescope Pro. The intraday volumes show for FTSE 100 which I mostly trade. I noticed that they don't show for the Dow, but I don't stream the US equities to save bandwidth.

I suspect Sharescope calculates from the constituents, I'll turn on the US equities and let you know.

Just checked this.

It shows volumes for the FTSE 100, 250 350 but not for anything else (ie sectors). It doesn't show for the US indices although it does show for individual US equities. I think Sharescope could do some work on this as volumes are important.

HTH

For those of you trading the Dow futures through a spreadbet firm, you should get yourself a copy of NinjaTrader (free version) and subscribe to OpenTick (you get the ECBOT eminis free, including the YM). This will allow you to see price, volume, and time & sales data. NinajaTrader also features simulated trading, and all the usual indicators for those who use them.

If you want US instruments on other exchanges, you are responsbile to pay OpenTick the relevant exchange fee, but Nasdaq, NYSE, and CME are all available. Nothing on non-US stuff though.

Plus it lets you automatically trade with a bunch of accounts if you are a keen golfer with absolute confidence in your system...

Hi there, I've just opened an account with CMC to start spreadbetting with a goal just to cut my teeth. I'm interested/worried to read that the SB company's price quotes are somewhat different to the real share prices. How much leeway do the companies have in this? I mean, what is there stopping the SB company posting an inaccurate price, in their favour, to stop someone who's made a huge bet and stands to make a large gain because of the real price. Is there any regulation in place?

The clue is in the word "Betting" they are betting against your position so there is no regulation and things are even worse than you have suggested in your post above. I know of cases where people have made substantial profits and then been told several days later that all the profit has been taken off them because they were not trading under the terms of their agreement. Basically a SB company can quote whatever they want in the same way that a bookie can quote whatever prices they like on any event they wish to offer bets on.

Of course some are much better than others but I do hear a lot of unfair practices that carry on and based on that I suggest you proceed with caution.

Paul

Ah, thankyou for clearing that up Paul. That sounds terrible for those people who had their profit stripped from them :(

Ah, thankyou for clearing that up Paul. That sounds terrible for those people who had their profit stripped from them :(

Even worse if months had gone by and they had withdrawn and used the funds. Not fair in the least. Some SB firms are worse than others, and some errors are worse than others. We've heard of some trades being reversed that weren't obviously done on bad prices (that the client couldn't have been expected to know), and one recently where somebody thought they'd just go and buy the S&P at 700 and hope the bucket shop wouldn't notice!

Hi there, I've just opened an account with CMC to start spreadbetting with a goal just to cut my teeth. I'm interested/worried to read that the SB company's price quotes are somewhat different to the real share prices. How much leeway do the companies have in this? I mean, what is there stopping the SB company posting an inaccurate price, in their favour, to stop someone who's made a huge bet and stands to make a large gain because of the real price. Is there any regulation in place?

Hi Richie.

This is a question many people ask and tend to get responses from people that have had unusually bad experiences with bad companies that I feel gives a newby the wrong impression of the industry.

Spread 'betting' is simply a tax free financial derivative. The only difference between spreadbetting and trading CFD's is the tax issue and the fact that CFD's cost more money. Their price mirrors the underlying instrument.. I think you may be referring to the fact the FTSE is a different value to the one you see on Bloomberg, that is because it is the futures price with '' fair value'' built into it (interest, corporate actions and so on). Also i think it goes without sayin that as you see Barclays tick by on bloomberg you won't get that exact price as they build their spread around the underlying market price.

"The clue is in the word "Betting" they are betting against your position so there is no regulation and things are even worse than you have suggested in your post above."

That is absolute rubbish Trader 333. If it was called spread trading would you assume that? This is a forum about CMC markets and they don't have the need to monitor traders on an individual basis and bet against them. 90% of their trades go straight through with no human intervention and the other 10% are either trading very large size so the dealers need to be aware of new risk on their book or other such circumstances.

They monitor their overall exposure and hedge themselves against that. As someone is going long cable someone else is shorting it most the time...

(The above only applies to the big companies, I can't comment on how the smaller ones conduct their business)

JK