CMC causing monitor failure

Fish

I run a standard Dell 4600 with a Nvidia GeForce FX5200 card with dual output, 1 analogue and 1 DVI, plus an additional PCI card. This gives me 3 outputs which have a Dell 19" TFT on the end of each. This has been running perfectly for well over a year. This morning on starting the CMC spreadbet application, as soon as the Launcher starts, the DVI screen loses the picture going intermittently black, before the picture comes back again. This intermittent picture continues until the system gets too unstable, and then the DVI screen freezes, with a system reboot being the only way out. Now, to me this says a probable hardware failure on the DVI channel. However, it only occurs with the CMC software. I tried both the demo and the main application. Anything else does not cause this problem, including loading FXCM Java charts, or any other Java application.

Is it possible that only CMC would cause this failure? or has anybody else had this kind of problem?

Hi Fish

I have run CMC with a Dell 5000 PC and 4 monitors off a FX5200 PCI card and a Radeon PCI-x. I too had one or two problems, including freezing up but I put this down to running multiple applications and other platform(s!) at the time.

I didnt have any display problems although I was using analogue on all 4 monitors at the time using digital analogue converters off the back of the Vid cards digital output... that may make a difference?

Ive since switched the FX5200 out for a quieter fanless card.

Yes it would be good if they did a "slimmer" version of their market maker platform as my laptop has difficulty with running it and an older laptop cannot even get it started. A web based version could be good too.

Thanks for the replies. I've decided it is a function of the failing video card interacting with something in the CMC platform. Everything runs fine, until that video channel (the analogue channel on the AGP card) needs to display a CMC screen, and then straight away there are malfunctions followed by a lock up. It has happened sufficiently for me to be certain it is something in the CMC video feed that is causing it. Funnily enough, I also have tried to install the CMC platform on an old Dell 500Mhz Latitude laptop, and could never get it to install. I don't know why, I would have thought that it should have been OK..

Fish.
I also have had problems with the CMC platform,It kept freezing my PC .I tried my hardest to get CMC's
I.T. department to help put the thing right,but they were not interested,so I dont use them any more.
There are several other people on T2W boards that have had similar problems and could not get any help from CMC.

Fluke said:
Fish.
I also have had problems with the CMC platform,It kept freezing my PC .I tried my hardest to get CMC's
I.T. department to help put the thing right,but they were not interested,so I dont use them any more.
There are several other people on T2W boards that have had similar problems and could not get any help from CMC.

Fluke

My newish Sony Laptop running XP freezes whenever I run CMC or ESignal on it. My old, tortoise like Windows 2000 laptop with LESS Ram DOES NOT freeze when these applications are run. A message saying something that the Page FIle size is being increased appears and then its fine. So, in this regard, my old, slow, laptop is better than my speedy XP. Added more Ram to XP laptop but still no joy.

So, perhaps the freeze your experiencing IS NOT caused by the CMC application in this instance.

Just a thought...

Do any of you run (privacy service) on your security

Attachments

• snapshot-22.png 27.png
    snapshot-22.png 27.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 415
I'm glad it's not just me with this problem. I'd begun to think that my laptop was just too slow - 3.0Ghz with 512 RAM - to run Marketmaker from CMC. Yes it freezes, especially when I want to change layouts.

When I'm trading I can't touch anything - such as change a timeframe on a chart, or an indicator - or else it will freeze for 3-4 minutes and I have no idea what has happened to the market in that time, which is quite dangerous.

My partner has just bought a desktop pc with the new AMD64 processor and 1024GB Ram and this seems to cope with Marketmaker without a problem.

Hi. Just to add to the discussion, I run CMC on an old 1.7gig machine with XP Pro. I found that if I restarted windows every couple of hours it was OK. I then added another 256mb RAM to get a total of 512mb and its fine now.

Cheers

Evo

CMC - freezing

I have a Dell with 1MB of Ram and have occasionally experienced problems with the CMC client - icons may disappear obscured by some flickering of the part of the desktop. I have resolved this only by logging off. I think a contributary factor may be my running other applications some of which may have filled the cache. This is why reboots etc. work. However when I am choosing to trade actively I make sure I run only Marketmaker and Updata (technical analysis software), or Marketmaker alone.

Ian

I run CMC on a PII 400 with 192MB Ram Laptop with XP and have never experienced a problem.

My professional opinion is that you need new Video Drivers....

JonnyT