Climbing Everest

Climbing Everest

This journal will show some of my progress towards trading success, and help me on the way whenver I need some help. I'd be very grateful if you can keep the flaming or spam off this thread, and be friendly. Cheers.

stops

For my first question, I'd like to ask opinions on where I should place stops.

I traded the ER last week, and on a sample day had 45 trades:
-entry was 2 contracts per trade
-38 were profits
-take home profit was 250$

My difficulty lay in the size of losses:
**twice stopped out at 14 ticks = -560$
**thrice averaged 'down' with 2 further contracts....losses were 400/560/670$ = 1630$

Therefore, I have decided to keep a strict 9 tick stop loss next week, and never average down. If I had done that, the above day would have been take home profit of 1990$.

I do think that averaging down can work-I have simmed on large account sizes-typically starting 50kUS$, and that allows back up volume for good traders to get more heavily in on a spike, then cut all for break even. However, it seems that it is a bad strategy and should be avoided. Comments?

Furthermore, I still need to work on increasing the quality of my trades, larger profits, fewer losses.

I am disappointed at the lack of responses on this board, and I will try a few more posts before making a decision whether to cut my losses here.

Yesterday I made 810$ on the ER, mainly through fewer losses, less averaging down, and better entries/understanding.

On Tuesday I noticed that I seem to have profits (P) and losses (L) in groups:
PPPPPPPPPP LLLL PPPPPPPP LL PLPPPP

so therefore, another thing I am mindful of is to step back if I have a loss, it's probably a sign of tiredness/lack of concentration.

If I can reduce the losses to half, then I can aim for a consistent 3-5 points per day per contract. Then, trading 10+ contracts would give me a nice return.

To finish off the week I made 850$, about 3 points on ER. One mistake in the middle of averaging down, otherwise ok trades. Yawn.

With 45 trades you are working very hard and successfully, if I may say so. I can't do anywhere near that and am inclined to read you, rather than make any comments , or try to help. Most of us are, probably, in the same boat. Remember that this a journal. People don't like to interupt them, perhaps that is why no one is commenting.

I hope that you keep going.

Regards, Split