CITY INDEX / Finspreads / iii spreadbetting

francisfinley

Established member
Hi all,

there are several reports out yesterday / over the weekend "Mr Spencer's private vehicle IPGL Limited" spreadbetting venture is near its banking covenants. i have emailed city index to ask if my money is guaranteed.

Not really the answer I was looking for. May put my money into my other broker.:!:

Michael Spencer forced to inject £70m as City Index clients default - Telegraph

"I have included the relevant section of the Terms and Conditions that cover client funds.

If this is insufficient or you require more information please let me know.

22. Regulatory Provisions

Money

22.1 This clause 22.1 only applies to you if we have entered into a separate agreement with you (i.e. in addition to these Terms) agreeing that this clause 22.1 applies. Where you transfer money to us, we will treat this as a transfer of full ownership of money to us for the purpose of securing or covering your present, future, actual, contingent or prospective obligations, and we will not hold such money in accordance with the Client Money Rules. Any money received by us from you or a third party for your Account will subject to all other provisions of the Terms be owed by us to you. Because full ownership of the money is transferred to us, you no longer have a proprietary claim over the money and we can deal with it in our own right. If we have closed all Accounts you have had with us and you have paid to us in full all amounts you owe us and have no further present or future obligations to us, we will transfer to you an amount equal to any money you paid to us for your Account that remains after all amounts you owe us (under the Terms) have been paid and deducted (including in relation to all Accounts you have had with us).

22.2 If clause 22.1 does not apply to you, the Client Money Rules will apply.

22.3 In this clause “Client Money Rules” means the provisions of the FSA’s Client Assets Sourcebook relating to client money for firms carrying out MiFID business."

Last edited:
Poor Mr Spencer :( Should we feel sorry for him or the SB firms he owns ?

Some traders have been taking large profit's ( £200k+) with these Firms over the last 3 months
Other SB firms have been hit too.
Money in a SB account is not as safe as you think it is.
Please please ensure you have a camara recording your screens too.
I say this because if things go wrong as they often do, the SB firm will ask you to proove it, with out a camara one can not proove it. The SB firm will fail to disclose inforation that could be used against them so your Fu**ed.
Direct Market access now seems to be attractive ?

I use city index and they send me an account statement every day via email.

Will this be sufficient proof, if required?

My advice would be to upgrade to a Credit Account and not keep any money of your own in the account. This way you only need to pay in when settling your bills.

Steve.

You've spooked me, I've withdrawn all funds from my Finspreads account ... I guess this is how a run starts!!

I've also withdrawn from CityIndex, twitched as well. Their spreads aren't that competitve for the most part anyway...

I'm not worried in the slightest, City Index is a decent outfit and I'm sticking with them.

Quote : "I'm not worried in the slightest, City Index is a decent outfit and I'm sticking with them."

Faremi
>>> Newbie <<<

>>> Posts: 1 <<<

city index leaping to it´s own defense?

If you believe that I joined this website 5 months before an article was printed in a newspaper in order to supply one brief post regarding my confidence with City Index then the only conclusion that I can deduce is that you have a very fertile imagination. I note you have accumulated a vast amount of posts yourself, I do believe that with this reply I'm on par with your legendary status already.

This topic is an important topic in light of the modern economic climate, however just because everybody is not scared out of their wits by a newspaper article doesn't validate a conspiracy if they so decide to post a response revealing a contrarian emotion.

Last edited:
If you believe that I joined this website 5 months before an article was printed in a newspaper in order to supply one brief post regarding my confidence with City Index then the only conclusion that I can deduce is that you have a very fertile imagination. I note you have accumulated a vast amount of posts yourself, I do believe that with this reply I'm on par with your legendary status already.

This topic is an important topic in light of the modern economic climate, however just because everybody is not scared out of their wits by a newspaper article doesn't validate a conspiracy if they so decide to post a response revealing a contrarian emotion.
Yes I agree, no reason for anyone to panic. Futurebetting.com were much worse off, and they are not even located in UK. He injected additional capital so what is the problem? One should not keep ones whole capital at any SB, or any broker for that matter. Anyway, one is surprised that some of these SB companies don't have an inbuilt risk management system, that easily would taken care of used up credit by making a margin call.

I don't work for a spreadbetting firm. However if there are any spreadbetting owners observing who would like to employ a winner who will trade on their behalf on a percentage basis until I acquire a few hundred thousand in capital so that I can become self sufficient, please do send me some mail.

Spreadbetting firms are the equivalent to the bucket shops that sprang up in the 1920s and 30's (which were around for a few years then disappeared) never keep much money in them and first sign of trouble withdraw all funds, most like CMC employ barrow boys to handle your trades, most Sbet firms are run by cowboys and sharks imho.
Read the small print to see if they are FSA regulated (and not offshore) and segregate client funds.

Thanks for that advice wotzit. CI are regulated by the FSA. How do I find out if they segregate client funds? Would they tell you if you called and asked?

Thanks for that advice wotzit. CI are regulated by the FSA. How do I find out if they segregate client funds? Would they tell you if you called and asked?

You could have a quick read of the T&C's! :cheesy:

A couple of months ago I raised a number of points regarding a change of the T&Cs which Finspreads introduced on this very matter. I questioned at the time whether this might be 'knee jerk' because of something happening in the background.

What the T&Cs now say is that the firm can hold client funds is segregated accounts but these accounts might with banks in places which dont have the same level of protection of UK based banks. This is open to considerable interpretation in my opinion and, in my opinion, represents a fairly large danger given the current economic climate.

Steve.

captain

Yes, phone them and ask, and Steve raises an important point - ask if the bank is UK based, if not you will need to find out what's the max protection for funds. UK is £50k now. Remember this point, SBet firms are bookies disguised as stock brokers. If you have bad fills/dodgy market action as many do, I would think twice about keeping money with them.