Chart repository

firewalker99

Legendary member
Over time, some members have suggested the idea of a 'chart repository'.

I was wondering if perhaps it could be interesting to have a kind of 'vault' where only images can be saved, no text or posts. Perhaps one can link to those images than directly, by the same means as you link to a post. The advantages would be manifold:

- single point of storage
- no need to upload charts/images each time you make a post
- easy access to all the charts posted in certain timeframe
- ability to search through the charts would be nice + sort function
- useful as an archiving tool

I'm sure others can think of more... Wonder if a poll is useful?

Perhaps it would be a public version of the 'Attachment browser' (which can be found in the User Control Panel) with some added functionality. Currently the only thing one can do with this, is delete attachments or view thumbnails. But it's a start, and perhaps we could build on this?

Last edited:
Interesting idea. I guess I could make one of my own in the meantime, if only because it allows posting images within the post without a thumbnail to open, which I like. Kinda makes sense if ones attachment file could be worked to do things that way round. Redundancy and all.

Interesting idea. I guess I could make one of my own in the meantime, if only because it allows posting images within the post without a thumbnail to open, which I like. Kinda makes sense if ones attachment file could be worked to do things that way round. Redundancy and all.

The idea has been brought up in the past, but I suppose nothing ever came from it...
Credits to dbphoenix who recently suggested the idea again.

Long time ago we had a gallery section of the site. The intention was to let members a) post photos of their trading room, b) screenshots of trades, c) chart formations and d) desktop setup screenshots. We got some interesting trading room photos and a few desktop ones - although the chart formations never really generated much interest. Come to think of it when we ditched we were going to move them all into a forum of their own - funny, I can't recall whatever happened to that!

I could set up a gallery section of the site, with categories as listed above, and members can then upload, rate and comment on photos. It's just a question of whether members actually would use it given the opportunity.

chart repository follow-up?

Long time ago we had a gallery section of the site. The intention was to let members a) post photos of their trading room, b) screenshots of trades, c) chart formations and d) desktop setup screenshots. We got some interesting trading room photos and a few desktop ones - although the chart formations never really generated much interest. Come to think of it when we ditched we were going to move them all into a forum of their own - funny, I can't recall whatever happened to that!

I remember that, although I never understood why it was ditched...

But in any case, this isn't exactly what I had in mind. With a repository I was refering to some kind of storage place where only images (no texts or comments) can be saved. Like a large virtual folder where you can link to directly from within posts, so all the information is contained in one organizational unit.

The current 'Attachments' option is a step in the right direction, but as far as I can see all uploads are linked to a certain post. So if you want to store an image, you'd have to make a post first. But what I (and I suspect others) had in mind was a place where you can link to so that you can indent the image in your post without attaching it and thus creating a thumbnail. Dbphoenix for example usually makes his charts appear within his posts, which I think is a good way of presenting information without the user having to click on the thumbnail to zoom in and then go back and forth between the image and the text.

Also, having this kind of repository would make it possible for members to check out charts that have been posted in the past from another user. With the Attachments function users currently only can view their own.

Did you know it's possible to play images within the text - on the text box there's a little icon that's lets you hook an image in a certain place in the text. I'm not sure many people realise this.

Did you know it's possible to play images within the text - on the text box there's a little icon that's lets you hook an image in a certain place in the text. I'm not sure many people realise this.

Do you mean the 'Insert Image' button?

Yes, but then you need to provide a link. If the image resides on your local hard drive, you need to upload it to somewhere else then first...

There seems to be a fundamental lack of communication here over what's wanted. Put in its simplest terms, traders want access to their charts. Currently they don't have it unless they want to work their way through lists of attachments, and usually it's easier just to re-create the chart and post it again or, easier still, forget about it. Wannabee traders might also like access to charts (see stockcharts.com), though now they have nothing.

I asked over a year ago about being able to post images to blogs. So far that feature has yet to be added. And if one wants to store charts somewhere, which would at least provide primitive search capabilities, he has to initiate a thread -- or multiple threads -- to do it. None of this is necessary.

Quite frankly, it's just too much of a hassle. It's far easier to do all of this off-site, and given that the site wants to attract views and advertisers, I suggest that whatever keeps people on-site should be provided.

FW: No, I don't mean the image icon, there's a paper clip icon (on the advanced reply/new thread page) - basically once you've attched some images, or docs or whatever, you can then click this paper clip to get a drop down and it then embeds the attachment within your post, rather than showing it at the end.
It uses code in the format [ ATTACH ]34152[ /ATTACH ] (without the spaces).

DBP: Adding images to blogs is still in the pipeline. Basically we're aiming to do a fairly major upgrade to the forum this week, hopefully Thurs (more info will be posted when the date is confirmed), part of this upgrade will be a brand new blog system which supports images. The reason for the delay (at least from 1 month ago) is that I outsourced the migration script to move from old blog to new blog, but the guy that was doing it let me down having missed numerous deadlines. So we're doing it internally ourselves.

DBP, the new forum software gives everyone their own gallery. I think if you can wait till the end of the week, you might just find all your requests answered!

DBP: Adding images to blogs is still in the pipeline. Basically we're aiming to do a fairly major upgrade to the forum this week, hopefully Thurs (more info will be posted when the date is confirmed), part of this upgrade will be a brand new blog system which supports images. The reason for the delay (at least from 1 month ago) is that I outsourced the migration script to move from old blog to new blog, but the guy that was doing it let me down having missed numerous deadlines. So we're doing it internally ourselves.

DBP, the new forum software gives everyone their own gallery. I think if you can wait till the end of the week, you might just find all your requests answered!

In my case, it's a matter of shutting the barn door. But perhaps this change will finally invigorate the blogs.

test chart thingy ...

Attachments

• Z 03-08  10_03_2008 (5 Min).jpg
    Z 03-08 10_03_2008 (5 Min).jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 149
FW: No, I don't mean the image icon, there's a paper clip icon (on the advanced reply/new thread page) - basically once you've attched some images, or docs or whatever, you can then click this paper clip to get a drop down and it then embeds the attachment within your post, rather than showing it at the end.
It uses code in the format [ ATTACH ]34152[ /ATTACH ] (without the spaces).

I totally wasn't aware of that. Which is surprising, given how many charts I've attached to my posts. In fact, doubt that the majority is aware this option exists.

Makes me think we need an improved forum FAQ/tips guide... (adds to to-do list!)

Just an update, that the new blogs that allow images and attachments are now in place; and the new gallery feature is also now available from within your Member Profile.

If the gallery feature falls short then I'm also considering a file/links/images repository, this is something I'll be discussing with the advisors in the coming weeks.