Character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Charts said:
I didn't say "good" Salty, I said "wonderful" ;-)
Whether in seriousness, jest or sarcasm is up to the individual to determine.
When I read it, I did smile at most of the posts - apart from those originating from individual(s) on my ignore list, which I had the even greater pleasure of not seeing.
Have a good evening,
Over and out,
Richard

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You too Richard

I might just have a snifter of a glass of fine vino tonight, what ??

SG, just go along with it all. I didnt mean to be offensive, what i was trying to say was why post what you did? You were probably right? But i thought you were being a bit too dissmissive. But then who am i to judge anyone. Cleared up, hopefully? RB.

SOCS.

You touch upon the central core of the nature of character itself. Character is not personality. Personality is a derivative of character Character is the engine, whereas personality represents the gears.

Actually, I would agree up to a point.
Personality takes its origin from Character, but, rather than personality representing gears, more the manifestation of character.

Character, if you could "see" it would however not necessarily match the "personality" on display at that moment.

Personality can be "faked", however I doubt character can be. Inconsistent personality, would suggest dubious character.

The personality of an individual may change throughout his lifetime, owing mainly to the attainment of maturity, and as a consequence of life experiences encountered but his character, the central core, will always remain the same. This blend in human makeup is not popularly understood and it took me a long time to sift it out and finally be able to grasp the concept properly.

Here I suggest you have it confused.
Personality can be changed like a hat.
Character, may alter due to the vicissitudes of life.

People with the wrong character will never succeed, no matter how accomplished they might be otherwise, whether in looks, charm, academic achievement, height, weight, colour, race or gender.

Here I assume you are referring to success within a "Trading" context.
If so, then this was the initial question the thread was designed to try and answer. That is, define from existing successful traders their "Characteristics".

By this as you previously misconstrued I do not mean their "methodology" but their "Character"
Research their life story a little, find out the experiences that formed their character.
If you do this exercise with 2 or 3 people, and then ask someone to "rate" your character, you may well be surprised...............I was.

In the world of trading this is not so. I am not going to enter into a long explanation why it is that all of this is not constructed for the benefit of the public and so on, but it is suffice to say that this unpreparedness is what catches people out.

"Unpreparedness".............indeed. Very few people are prepared when they first start trading.
However, unless by sheer luck you stumble down the correct road on your first shot, actually "trading" is usually necessary to reinforce the fact that while you believed that you were in point of fact prepared, you were incorrect.

Now human beings have to coax themselves to adopt the correct frame of reference in order for them to succeed. They have to teach themselves to fly through open windows and not through glass panes. But when viewed from the perspective of personality both look the same ~ it is only when human beings force themselves to view the problem from the perspective of character that the problem can be solved.

Character, is a catch-all.
Intelligence, logic, rationality, experience, and possibly other character traits that I have neglected are the components of character required to progress in this area.

Personal integrity depends upon honesty and truth, and what is more, is ruled by self government of the highest order. This type of self govenment is not a pressing requisite in ordinary life, as there are rules and laws and ordinances and behavioural codes to follow.

I agree that integrity should be on anyones list.
I would suggest that without it present, short-cuts, ( of dubious legal nature ) if offered would be taken that could lead to problems.

In trading there is no room for pride. There is only room for cold reality.

Pride in ones work.
Pride in this context is beneficial in the respect of striving to improve and only do your best work
Cutting corners in your analysis, is slothful, and demonstrates a lack of pride in ones work.

Trader333,

I have found that the character of a person can be quickly attained by determining what they are NOT prepared to do or be engaged in. Most people will probably not understand this but it has served me well in assessing the standards of others.

Very true.

RB,

Caution, in all its forms, separates each individual. Self levels of caution separate the winners from the losers and being overcautious on the markets is not nessecarily a good thing and vicky versa. Character for trading, winning trading, depends on individual caution adversity. Caution maybe the haunting factor for all the losers out there, because unfortunately its something thats hard to change about yourself.

From a previous thread "Define Risk" or somesuch, this characteristic of yours came through.
In your case it is one of risk seeking.
Nothing right or wrong with this mindset.
However, you do need to ask yourself whether throwing caution out of the window is likely to, or has brought you the rewards that would constitute "winning trading".

I think with a little research, that you will find successful traders with longevity, are to a man "Risk averse"

cheers d998

SG,

Your counting speed and visual mathematics leave me in awe.
cheers d998

There's not many people this side of the Mississippi ( or even the Nile ) who can match me matey.

Mr. Charts said:
Thank you, SOCRATES.
Your re-consideration of the possibility is most appreciated and respected.
There's a nice little cake shop in Soho that's been in the same family for many years. We could go there first, indulge ourselves in pastries beyond compare, then proceed with suitably sharpened fangs to the t2w party.
I suspect the most unpleasant posters, unprotected by the safe, comfortable anonymity of their t2w personas, will, if they actually materialise, turn out to be the most innocuous and pleasantest of individuals face to face............ ;-)
Richard
I have an inkling about this little cake shop, I can visalise it in my mind's eye, but for the life of me can neither remember the name of it nor the little street in which it is to be found, which is a fortunate lapse as we do not want to be overheard during the fang preparation to ensure precise occlusion in readiness etc.,

With regard to unpleasant posters and other nasty creatures, you have to understand their perspectives and be very skilled at detecting drillers. For my part I am not willing to spend a whole evening having my head drilled in. Therefore we must ensure in advance that the seating arrangement over dinner renders us safe from these perils.

Let us arrange in advance suitable dinner companions in this regard. I can make up numbers easily, the sort of dinner companions that you would find truly entrancing, to such a degree that the food might even go cold and have to be sent back to be reheated, if past experience is any guide to the future, that, I can tell you is as good as it gets.

Kind Regards As Usual.

Mr Charts,

I suspect the most unpleasant posters, unprotected by the safe, comfortable anonymity of their t2w personas, will, if they actually materialise, turn out to be the most innocuous and pleasantest of individuals face to face............

An interesting little dig.
From the safety of your Private Forum you venture out into the big bad world, to ( a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black ) make an assumption.

The assumption would seem to run along these lines.................
Aggressive, or "unpleasant" posters are this way as they are "unprotected by........anonymity"
Therefore, when exposed in a real "face to face" the "character" of their online personna, is "different" to their in "person" personna.

You too seem to be confusing "personality" with "character".
I suggest you re-read TRADER333 post, as this is a good example.

cheers d998

Ducatti, there is no such thing as throwing caution to the wind. Its all in the eye of the beholder. Caution or risk (i just didn't want to say this over-repeated word) is something that is uncontrolable within an individual. Personally i think 'risk', in individual terms, is as it is. We all have a personal arrow of direction we cannot escape this. We do though, know our limitations, but some of us take them to the extreme, this may border on self destruction. I don't know. RB.

RB,

Caution or risk (i just didn't want to say this over-repeated word) is something that is uncontrolable within an individual.

Here I would disagree with you for the following reasons.
Lack of caution, or excessive risk taking, ( specifically in the market ) implies an impatient person.

Even in a thrill seeking context, living for the adreneline surge, implies impatience.
The adreneline surge can normally be satisfied in some manner.

Patience in the markets is an attribute well worth cultivating, as it is important to longevity in the market. It is learnable.

cheers d998

Before i carry on reading, something strikes me about forums with multiple chat going on. Paranoia can set in even if you are not directly involved. DaveJB, you are a perfect example, if you dont mind me saying so! Paranoia, this is also a character trait!

Ducs, that is precisely my point. For want of a better phrase, 'a leopard never changes its spots'.

RB,

Ducs, that is precisely my point. For want of a better phrase, 'a leopard never changes its spots'.

But who is talking about leopards?
We should be talking about the individual trader.

If he has the ability to recognise an "inappropriate" characteristic, he has the ability to change or modify it.

cheers d998

ducati998 said:
Character, has been acknowledged by all, to be THE vital component in the road to ultimate success in the financial markets.
I have not seen,( may be on here somewhere ) a definition of components constituting character, and a priority of importance, if such exists.
This is the definitive list with the most important being:

Personal responsibility:

You take resposibility for everything that happens in your trading (and life) and never look
to blame others.

Character? Chronic repetitive syndrome (stuck in a rut)? Hey, it happens, and weve all been there in trading!

Ducatti, you are not without fault, none of us are. The analogy of a leopard may have escaped you, it may have not, but if you are correct then why so many losers?

If we can all learn from our mistakes......why so many losers? Or does turnover of traders not account for them making a comeback?

Why do only 5% or so only learn from thier mistakes? Thats the number so efficiently quoted. But as i stressed before, people use statement when it suits them. We are all good liars when cornered, that is not a lie!

Status
Not open for further replies.