Candle colours & psychology

advfntrader

Established member
I'm wondering if the colour of the candles has any effect on our trading psychology / decisions.

I know that some colours make us more alert than others etc. has anyone seen any research about the effect of Candle/chart colours on trading ?

I use Red/Green and I do find the Red jumps out more so than the Green, but I wonder if this plays tricks in the mind...:whistling

I use red green. Red doesn't jump out more. To me red means as much an opportunity as green. From your adverse reaction to red, I think you got raped by the equity shorts once too often.

I've always used red and green candles, haven't really experimented with anything else.

I always use a Black background though because I feel it keeps me calmer than White. Price movement always appears more significant/ pronounced on a White background imo.

you see I'm the opposite, needs to be white backgound , seems to be clearer to me...

I need a good close. On some candles a colour assists in giving an immediate visual sign that it has closed as it should, or as it shouldn't.

Black bacground - less eyestrain
Other than that, not bothered.

Of all the psychological issues that require attention in trading, I would be surprised, nay floored if this has any real bearing Lol ! Do you get out much ?

I'm wondering if the colour of the candles has any effect on our trading psychology / decisions.

I know that some colours make us more alert than others etc. has anyone seen any research about the effect of Candle/chart colours on trading ?

I use Red/Green and I do find the Red jumps out more so than the Green, but I wonder if this plays tricks in the mind...:whistling

Don't use candles and as long as the colour isn't a strain I'm not bothered either.

By default mine are red/green

I think it has HUGE effect on the markets:

I've played many MMORPGS and in all of them the side that was coloured red always got more players because red is associated with aggression and so it was "cool" to be in the red team whereas the blue (sorry alliance :p) was associated with empathy and justice so it got less players but in general more mature players.

Extrapolate this to trading and we find that a red arrow/bar/candle signifies aggression so it naturally draws more "players" to move out of the market.

I've noticed I'm always drawn to shorting an instrument, going long requires more justification.

Definitely deserves further research.

:( I miss playing WoW... still Skyrim's released in 55 days... RAWR <-- completely off topic lol

By default mine are red/green

I think it has HUGE effect on the markets:

I've played many MMORPGS and in all of them the side that was coloured red always got more players because red is associated with aggression and so it was "cool" to be in the red team whereas the blue (sorry alliance :p) was associated with empathy and justice so it got less players but in general more mature players.

Extrapolate this to trading and we find that a red arrow/bar/candle signifies aggression so it naturally draws more "players" to move out of the market.

I've noticed I'm always drawn to shorting an instrument, going long requires more justification.

Definitely deserves further research.

:( I miss playing WoW... still Skyrim's released in 55 days... RAWR <-- completely off topic lol

Is it true that World of Warcraft ruins relationships, lives, marriages and causes you to fail college? :eek:

Is it true that World of Warcraft ruins relationships, lives, marriages and causes you to fail college? :eek:

guns don't kill people, death kills people...

it's the structure agency debate and is way too big to discuss here and ... RAWR SKYRIM!1!!1!!shift!!one!!

so do different colour candles affect your trading psychology?

Maybe you could swap them so that red is bullish and green is bearish and see how it affects your trading. Maybe that's the trick to it!

guns don't kill people, death kills people...

it's the structure agency debate and is way too big to discuss here and ... RAWR SKYRIM!1!!1!!shift!!one!!

so do different colour candles affect your trading psychology?

I knew the cake was a lie! :cry:

As for the sticks, no idea, but Beginner Joe says that black is death because rotting flesh is black. So, therefore, with a simple algebraic equation times pie divided by infinity minus 1, we can deduce that the colors of sticks may affect some people's trading.

But we will need more funding to find any conclusive proof.

Maybe you should try medium blue or blue (MT4) - it may jump out more than the green.