Can my landlady screw me over?

Nowler

Experienced member
Hello folks :)
I've posted this on a more query specific website but wanted to see if any of you could help me either.

I have been renting a room in my landladies home in England since June 10th this year, but only signed the contract about 6-7 days ago (4 weeks later).

The contract says that the rent was to be £100 per week but since the room wasn't ready (tenant hadn't moved out yet), we verbally agreed on £80 per week for the makeshift room I was given and this lasted for about 3 weeks. After those 3 weeks, a tenant in a different room (smaller) and I swapped rooms as per the landladies suggestion, to which I continued to pay £80 per week (this was also how much the other tenant was paying for it).

Anyway... I decided that the place is not right for me and as per the contract, I am allowed to leave once I give and see out a 30 day notice.

One of my questions is on whether she can get sulky and back-claim the difference in the £80 I was paying and the £100 that was stated in the contract since it was only verbally agreed that I pay 80 until the room was ready (the agreed room is still not ready as the tenant is still here - and was the signed witness on our contract)?

I paid the deposit in cash and she emailed me a receipt, but the rent to date has been paid in cash (put into a rent book which I initialled last week when we got around to signing the contract.

PS: The contract is not dated where it was signed... at least not my copy anyway... can't remember if her copy was...

Thanks in advance!

There are a good number of housing charities and law centres and websites that can help with free legal advice.

It used to be the case in rented property that as the rent book and contract are provided by the owner, any failure on their part to do so would not prejudice the tenant's rights. As you have paid rent and the amount was not disputed by the landlady, this is presumptive that she did not object to the amount received.

However, it is also prudent to protect your rights that you should be able to prove you did actually pay some rent. Was this by bank transfer or by cheque or did you at least get a receipt for cash?

Have you paid a deposit to the landlady?

Generally, if you pay rent weekly, you only need to give a week's notice. You are liable for that week's rent even if you leave earlier. You would generally only be liable for a month's rent if you paid rent monthly.

Hey mate,
Thanks for the reply.

I've posted the same message on a tenants rights forum as well as posting it here.
I've paid her a deposit in cash and she sent me an email as a receipt of that deposit.

I don't know if she will get silly about it but after our chat this morning when I informed her, she seemed ok about it... but then again...so did my ex before I found all my socks cut in half hahaha (I'm kidding...I don't have any socks because my other ex burned them all).

I've emailed her my notice which has all the details about times and amounts in it. I've asked her to reply with confirmation of receipt, if she does then then that'll benefit me if she gets all sh1tty about things.

Hopefully she doesn't because I like to be nice.

Hey mate,
Thanks for the reply.

I've posted the same message on a tenants rights forum as well as posting it here.
I've paid her a deposit in cash and she sent me an email as a receipt of that deposit.

I don't know if she will get silly about it but after our chat this morning when I informed her, she seemed ok about it... but then again...so did my ex before I found all my socks cut in half hahaha (I'm kidding...I don't have any socks because my other ex burned them all).

I've emailed her my notice which has all the details about times and amounts in it. I've asked her to reply with confirmation of receipt, if she does then then that'll benefit me if she gets all sh1tty about things.

Hopefully she doesn't because I like to be nice.

It sound's as if it will all turn out to be fine. However learn from your (potential) mistake - in future everything in writing !!!!

Hahaha
I considered it when I moved in but quickly saw that it would be a mistake :)

She still hasn't confirmed that she had seen the email...
I know she's a bit scatterbrained but it's been 3-4 days now, and she was reminded the last 2 days...

I've already put the wheels in motion for revenge if she trys to pull a fast one on me...
There will only be one winner if it goes there.

I prefer to be nice, but I'm good at being bad.

Fingers crossed!

On a less sociopathic note... my new landlady wants to meet for the deposit tomorrow.
Meaning, the new place is mine :)
2 bed (double) flat near the train station and a 2 min cycle from the town centre. Sharing with another guy... he's in the RAF apparently.

I'll be sure to be smarter with contracts this time around :)

Last edited:
Update:
She finally responded and confirmed that all was good.

In the clear now ;)
I've already got an email confirming that I gave her a deposit.

Just gave my new landlady my deposit for the new place.
I move in on the 11th :)

1st... @Sharky can you please enable the uploading of images to this section.

2nd... (for everyone) My new landlady is a bit of a bell end too...
She insists on paying cash and coming to the house to pick it up.

Not only that but she is storing stuff in two places of the apartment. They are not taking up a huge amount of room, but on top of the cash annoyance and the fact I'm paying 500/month, its bugging the crap out of me. And I haven't even moved in yet.

I get a receipt for my deposit and monthly rent but I dont want to have to keep hold of this clutter... if I take a picture of them and upload them to cloud storage, will they be just as legit as if I held onto the actual reciept?

The reciept has my name, date, amount and what's supposed to be her signature.
Her signature is more like initials and it's that squiggly crap, and it's on top of itself (I'd show you but attachments cant be added to this section of the forum for some reason).

I move in tomorrow and I'm already thinking of moving out...

A what point in the process did she mention that cash was the only payment option? It sounds like a tax fiddle to me - maybe you can negotiate a discount for cash?

A what point in the process did she mention that cash was the only payment option? It sounds like a tax fiddle to me - maybe you can negotiate a discount for cash?

She said it yesterday when I picked up the key.
I was paying her a month in advance in cash which I knew a week ago, but I only just asked her about it yesterday.

She's putting the energy bill in my name, so at least there's going to be proof that I live there, along with the receipts she's giving me for rent.

If I try to use the cash rent to negotiate cheaper rent, can she throw a hissy fit and kick me out?

"....coming to the house "

Maybe she intends to do something a little bit different to "landlady screw me 'over' :p

She said it yesterday when I picked up the key.
I was paying her a month in advance in cash which I knew a week ago, but I only just asked her about it yesterday.

She's putting the energy bill in my name, so at least there's going to be proof that I live there, along with the receipts she's giving me for rent.

If I try to use the cash rent to negotiate cheaper rent, can she throw a hissy fit and kick me out?

You've certain rights as a tenant and landlord have certain obligations. You should have a written tenancy agreement so you know where you stand. I doubt the stipulation of rent to be paid in cash is in writing, so it's an informal agreement. In which case (IMO) it's open for negotiation. She can of course say 'No' and you can say either: 'OK, no problem, just thought I'd ask' or 'Ok, well I insist on paying by bank transfer then' or 'I'm not happy about it, the deals off' etc.. But, at the end of the day, there must be some advantage to your landlord to receive payment in cash and that in it's self has a price (IMO).

You've certain rights as a tenant and landlord have certain obligations. You should have a written tenancy agreement so you know where you stand. I doubt the stipulation of rent to be paid in cash is in writing, so it's an informal agreement. In which case (IMO) it's open for negotiation. She can of course say 'No' and you can say either: 'OK, no problem, just thought I'd ask' or 'Ok, well I insist on paying by bank transfer then' or 'I'm not happy about it, the deals off' etc.. But, at the end of the day, there must be some advantage to your landlord to receive payment in cash and that in it's self has a price (IMO).

Yeah...
I'm unsure whether she can just tell me to leave, or such.
There's nothing in my contract about it being cash, though the contract is only for 6 months but does stipulate that either party can end early if given the required period of notice.

Does she have to have a reason for asking me to leave? Or can she do as she wishes?

I'm just thinking that if I insist on it being direct debit, she will just give me my notice to leave...

This is straight up bs!
Thats 2 for 2 on bell end landladies...

Yeah...
There's nothing in my contract about it being cash, though the contract is only for 6 months but does stipulate that either party can end early if given the required period of notice.

Does she have to have a reason for asking me to leave? Or can she do as she wishes?

I'm just thinking that if I insist on it being direct debit, she will just give me my notice to leave...

This is straight up bs!

I suppose it all depends on how much of an inconvenience it is for you to pay her cash every month. If it's not such a big deal and you get a receipt then proceed. Once you've been in a few months and she can see what a fine young man you are, maybe then you can start calling the shots. Having said that, go with your gut feeling, if it doesn't feel right, just walk away. Easier to do it now than in 3 months time when you've settled in and she starts with the full-on bellendery.

I suppose it all depends on how much of an inconvenience it is for you to pay her cash every month. If it's not such a big deal and you get a receipt then proceed. Once you've been in a few months and she can see what a fine young man you are, maybe then you can start calling the shots. Having said that, go with your gut feeling, if it doesn't feel right, just walk away. Easier to do it now than in 3 months time when you've settled in and she starts with the full-on bellendery.

Yeah...
My main issue is that I get 1 day off most weeks, and I don't want to waste even a moment of that day waiting on her to come for the rent. I'm simply not going to.

She has said that I can just leave the cash in the apartment and she can come in and get it. I don't need to be there. The problem with that is I am a man of principles... I am paying over 1/3rd of monthly income on this place... back the hell off!

In Ireland, they need to give notice before they can come in. Not sure what it is here. I just feel restricted and am tied down with her being like this... which touches on your point of how much it bothers me... answer being a lot!

Does it bother me enough to leave? Not yet but it might very quickly. I might wait to see how much of a bother giving her the next rent is. I can also get to know the new tenant moving in next week also... maybe it'll be good fit... we'll see I guess.

I know I am a bit extreme when it comes to being free of constraints. I like to do what I want, how I want, when I want. It just so happens that I'm a relatively nice guy and what I want isn't hurting or impeding to others.

Sigh...
I need to increase my wealth so I don't need to deal with this crap

I think they need to give notice in the UK too. As for leaving £500 lying around in your flat whilst your out - not good! I think you've made some very good points about why it's so much better to set up a DD. If the Landlady can't see that and is not prepared accommodate a perfectly reasonable request, move on as soon as poss! Anyway you've obviously got your head screwed on so I'm sure it'll all work out well in the end...Good Luck (y)

Yeah...
I give it a month and then take it from there.

Thanks for the input

Yeah...

This is straight up bs!

Ha, both these landladies seem to have been around the block a few times and possibly by their own experiences of bad tenants, decided that they will set the conditions and whoever is renting will fall into line.

At the end of the day, they couldn't give a flying fek who is renting from them, as long as they get what they want. I would imagine that tenant churn is no problem to them.

If you do end up paying cash, then the absolute minimum you should have is a rent book where each payment entry is signed for. Screw leaving cash lying around...you need a signature for it.

Ha, both these landladies seem to have been around the block a few times and possibly by their own experiences of bad tenants, decided that they will set the conditions and whoever is renting will fall into line.

At the end of the day, they couldn't give a flying fek who is renting from them, as long as they get what they want. I would imagine that tenant churn is no problem to them.

If you do end up paying cash, then the absolute minimum you should have is a rent book where each payment entry is signed for. Screw leaving cash lying around...you need a signature for it.

That's the thing... it makes no difference to them whether it's me that renting or someone else.
Are the little receipts she's giving me legit? (Name, amount, date, her signature).

And if they are proof enough, can I just take a photo of them and upload them to cloud storage so I dont have to hold on to clutter?

Also, do I have a right for proof that my deposit has been put in the protected account?or what ever its called

Last edited:
That's the thing... it makes no difference to them whether it's me that renting or someone else.
Are the little receipts she's giving me legit? (Name, amount, date, her signature).

And if they are proof enough, can I just take a photo of them and upload them to cloud storage so I dont have to hold on to clutter?

Nothing beats the originals dude...i'd file them away safe, like you would with bills, bank statements etc.

Wilkinsons paper box file about 4 quid. Sorted ! :LOL: