Ah Lads...

Nowler

Experienced member
I just can't cope with this anymore...
What is it with this place and shady landlords/ladies/letting agencies?

Is this a common issue in the UK?

Most of you know my issues with my only 2 landladies since I moved here. Further to that, around 2 month ago we placed a holding fee with a letting agency only for them to rent the property to someone else. Now, we finally found a place which has been advertised by A particular agency and 1 other agency for months, only to be reduced from 995 to 950 a month.

The energy rating is a C or D, so we offered 925/month and it was accepted on the caveat that we move in by the 17th (the landlords cavet). We then paid more than 400 as a holding fee and referencing costs a week ago. Referencing has already been carried out and my housemate was due to sign her part today (they cancelled the meeting due to being busy) and im due to sign Wednesday which is the next time I'm available.

I just got an email today saying... in fact... I'll just paste it here:

"
​Hi

I just had a phone call from the landlord of ******* Way.

The property was being marketed with us and 1 other estate agent in Hitchin and when you put the offer forward the owners called *other agency* to stop further marketing on the property. Furthermore *other agency* have called the owners as someone that viewed the property previously offered the full asking rent, however they are not in a position to start the lease until the 1st December.

The owners feel terrible for coming back to me as they are happy using us as we are their preference, however the offer of asking rent had made them question their decision. They have asked me if are you willing to increase your monthly offer and if so how much would you be willing to increase to?

Please let me know your thoughts on this?"

What is going on lads!
All I want to do is settle into a medium to long term place and advance my life prospects :)

With each issue I had, I tried not to paint the whole country with a blanket statement... that it was just bad luck, but this is 2 landladies and 2 letting agencies... it's 100% of my housing encounters that have gone sour.

I like the UK for a number of reasons, but this is putting a sour taste in my mouth and I've already played with the idea of moving to a different English speaking country.

I'm just emotional right now and venting, but still not going to be happy with it in the morning. Just take my money, give me the keys and shut up :LOL:

Most of you know my issues with my only 2 landladies since I moved here. Further to that, around 2 month ago we placed a holding fee with a letting agency only for them to rent the property to someone else. Now, we finally found a place which has been advertised by A particular agency and 1 other agency for months, only to be reduced from 995 to 950 a month.

The energy rating is a C or D, so we offered 925/month and it was accepted on the caveat that we move in by the 17th (the landlords cavet). We then paid more than 400 as a holding fee and referencing costs a week ago. Referencing has already been carried out and my housemate was due to sign her part today (they cancelled the meeting due to being busy) and im due to sign Wednesday which is the next time I'm available.

"
​Hi

The property was being marketed with us and 1 other estate agent in Hitchin and when you put the offer forward the owners called *other agency* to stop further marketing on the property. Furthermore *other agency* have called the owners as someone that viewed the property previously offered the full asking rent, however they are not in a position to start the lease until the 1st December.

The owners feel terrible for coming back to me as they are happy using us as we are their preference, however the offer of asking rent had made them question their decision. They have asked me if are you willing to increase your monthly offer and if so how much would you be willing to increase to?

What is going on lads!
All I want to do is settle into a medium to long term place and advance my life prospects :)

With each issue I had, I tried not to paint the whole country with a blanket statement... that it was just bad luck, but this is 2 landladies and 2 letting agencies... it's 100% of my housing encounters that have gone sour.

I like the UK for a number of reasons, but this is putting a sour taste in my mouth and I've already played with the idea of moving to a different English speaking country.

I'm just emotional right now and venting, but still not going to be happy with it in the morning. Just take my money, give me the keys and shut up :LOL:

Money grubbers, especially down south, it's all they think about. Shallow as ! :)

Write back and tell them you are thinking about decreasing your offer, as their performance to date is questionable. :LOL:

Money grubbers, especially down south, it's all they think about. Shallow as ! :)

Write back and tell them you are thinking about decreasing your offer, as their performance to date is questionable. :LOL:

I'm going to go in to them on my lunch break and look her square in the eye as I ask her to explain herself.

I did respond last night, but no reply yet.

"Hi,

I have not had a chance to speak with *housemate* yet, but I can tell you right now, if after paying a holding fee you let someone else into that house, I will be seeking advice from a solicitor in regards to compensation for not only holding us hostage financially by tying up funds that could have otherwise been used to secure a different property, but also for stress involved with giving notice to our current shady landlady and risking being homeless before Christmas.

A holding fee was paid a week ago and referencing was carried out, so to be confronted with this garbage 2 weeks before we are due to move in is disgraceful!

Get your act together!

Regards,
Gavin"

What's perplexing me is that this area is nothing special.
It's over priced and has an increasing number of smackheads :LOL:
Why is it so difficult to move into a glorified crack den?

A lot of people overplaying their cards with me recently...
Must be something in the air.

Just move oop north pal, to a town with a metro-link connection to Manchester (but not Rochdale:LOL:) - job done :)

I agree, I fail to see the big attraction that is London, move north where people say hello to you in the street not stab you, no traffic jams to sit in and everything is noticeably cheaper, ohh, and rent will be nearly half of that you’re offering

I saw this program about housing.
Bit of a "comedic" angle, but there is a section on people living as in-house security!
Something like: people living in large buildings to prevent them from being vandalized.
Low rents, but downside may be shared facilities like bathrooms and kitchens.
For a really young person, might be an interesting bohemian lifestyle.
Might buy you time.
If nothing else, an interesting look at housing.
She also looked at buying(renting) a houseboat!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episo...elans-politics-for-bitches-series-1-1-housing

Holy crap!
Some of those are pretty nice places for less than what I am paying for this new place (which has been accepted after)!

This place is only a 2 bedroom and has an energy rating of D or C. Can't remember. It has a garden, but some of those I just look at in CBrads link are nicer and cheaper! Some have 4 bedrooms!

I was actually going to move to Manchester or close by but I was moving over with limited funds and no credit history for this country. Had to stay with my sister who lives in Hertfordshire... then the job I got was Hitchin...so got a place in Hitchin.

It's probably a nice place to retire or have a family but I find it overpriced for what I want. It's not London city overpriced but definitely overplaying their K 8 off suit.

I've just paid for the Zero deposit thingy and already after handing over "holding" and reference fees. So I'm gonna live here for 6 to 12 months at least.

After seeing some of those places I am already set on a move up that way after I stay here for a few more months to get my financial bearings.

Thanks for the other comments.
I'm going to grab a bite to eat and check out that link

You'll love it up here mate, I bet half the people round here can trace their ancestry back to Ireland

welcome to the sh!t world of the UK property market. I have finally bought a place but before this the hell i went through is representative of how you are feeling right now. My last rental the @55holes tried to say we caused damage to the property. Well i wasn't standing for it and pulled up the check-in report and as it turns out the shady company dealing with the check-in\out reports didn't bother to check the check-in report. I basically showed them what complete and utter idiots they were by presenting them with side-by-side images of the check-in and check-out report showing the damage was there before we moved in. We lived there for 5 months and they tried to get us to replace all the carpets. Be sure when you move in to take pictures of everything and email them to your agent and yourself. Things like marks or damages (anything that could be used to make you pay)

Chancers!
And idiot's! Haha

How can this carry on be so ubiquitous!!
Surely regulators will have to but the boot in at some point soon?

Thanks for suggestion.
I'll be sure to!

"
​Hi

What is going on lads!

sorry to here this N.....not everyone is an ars*hole in the property game ....but plenty of vultures around to persuade them to be this way ....!!!

property dealing is even worse ...ive bought and sold a lot of properties in the uk and the stories are just as bad .....but luckily a few honest people around at times.....

rental is even easier to go sour as its more short term encouraging people to maximise returns when they have people by the sphericals...like you are unfortunately....

i would tell them to go take a fecking hike (I would personally go and see them but thats just me).....but all up to you ......if you are being fecked now you will also be fecked later in game after you move in ..........loose morals dont get firmer over time !!!

N

welcome to the sh!t world of the UK property market. I have finally bought a place but before this the hell i went through is representative of how you are feeling right now. My last rental the @55holes tried to say we caused damage to the property. Well i wasn't standing for it and pulled up the check-in report and as it turns out the shady company dealing with the check-in\out reports didn't bother to check the check-in report. I basically showed them what complete and utter idiots they were by presenting them with side-by-side images of the check-in and check-out report showing the damage was there before we moved in. We lived there for 5 months and they tried to get us to replace all the carpets. Be sure when you move in to take pictures of everything and email them to your agent and yourself. Things like marks or damages (anything that could be used to make you pay)

100% agree ...........always record everything ........we have rented many times and also been landlords a few times ........everyone is an ars*ole trying to screw you ......:innocent::eek:

it was much worse in the suburbs and london rental/property market ...a little more honest out in the country ..........either that or the yokels are generally much more crap at setting you up and you can see it coming a mile off !!!