Can a disabled person be a stockbroker?

mb11

I am in my last year at uni studying economics, and am a private investor - only small trades £1-2000) i only started last year and have done 5 trades in FTSE250 stocks.

As i have a registered disability - impaired mobility so i walk with a crutch and can not walk very far.

was wondering if i would be less employable as a trainee stockbroker?
as i wouldnt want to be a stockbroker if it involved lots of travelling.

can you get a stock broker role which is based just in the office rather than meeting clients, travelling, etc?

thanks

Most big banks are very much into diversity and if your academic / intellectual performance is up to par and you've a good personality, then your disability is unlikely to prove a problem.

Frankly, a bigger issue is more likely to be that in your final year you don't seem to have really thought much about the role or what it involves - you'll be up against people who have done internships over the summers, etc - five trades over the last yeare is not really going to light up your cv when compared to people who have been aiming for the City since A-levels or before.

In terms of your ability to do the job, a stockbroker is just a salesman. That means you spend a lot of time on the phone with clients, but you also have to meet them, take companies and analysts in to see them, develop a relationship, but your clients would likely be London based, so it would only mean hopping in cabs around the City and West End. International travel would be limited unless you had overseas clients (but they tend to be serviced by locals from offices in their country). So no, not really a physical reason why you couldn't do the job - any barriers are likely to be more subtle, for example if you find it difficult to go out on the lash after work, that stops you from a lot of networking with colleagues and clients.

thanks for explaining jack,

i am academic with 3 A levels at grade B in English, History and Maths
I am predicted a 2:1 in my degree - BA Honours in English,

I did work during last summer for a local accountants however this profession is not for me,

I thought there would be a lot of face-to-face relationship building and selling, but is there any other roles besides stock broking in the industry, which would be based purely in an office environment?

i would prefer to work in a town rather than the City due to the inconvenience for me to commute via public transport.

thanks for explaining jack,

i am academic with 3 A levels at grade B in English, History and Maths
I am predicted a 2:1 in my degree - BA Honours in English,

I did work during last summer for a local accountants however this profession is not for me,

I thought there would be a lot of face-to-face relationship building and selling, but is there any other roles besides stock broking in the industry, which would be based purely in an office environment?

i would prefer to work in a town rather than the City due to the inconvenience for me to commute via public transport.

One way to find out answers to your questions is to research job ads.... you will quickly find out all of the requirements and be able to make decisions.