Few questions - stockbroker position

T

the1

Hi,

I have got 4-5 years experiance in a telesales and face to face enviroment and i am wanting to move onto the next step in my life. I have been searching for a few weeks now on different vacancies available and have come to a few questions.

1. I live Glasgow (Scotland) and have not seen any jobs as a stockbroker available here, is there no stockbroking jobs in glasgow or close by?

Does anyone currently work as a stockbroker in Scotland and if so, how did they go about finding the position and how does it compare against working in london?

I am happy to move down to england for a job in stockbroking but it would be alot easier for myself to stay in my home town.

2. This may sound silly for some of you out there but is a Trainee Stockbroker the same asa Junior Stockbroker? If not, what is the differences and which position would be the more positive one to go for?

3. I have applied for a few positions and have received a reply from 1. The link to the position -

===================================================
Generation Resourcing

Trainee Stockbroker / Account Openers Needed

Trainee Stockbroker / Account Openers Needed

Private client brokerage dealing in a variety of financial investment opportunities seeks tenacious, money motivated individuals for their AIM/Small cap sales desk.

Founded by some of the biggest names in the broking industry this brokerage is rapidly expanding and looking for trainee stockbrokers and motivated sales people to join their already successful team.

Candidates must posses:

*6 months experience in a sales environment*Essential
*Fantastic telephone manner
*Strong sales background
*The drive and ambition to succeed.

Company will put you through your FSA exams and train you on all areas of the financial markets.

Starting salary 15000 increasing to 25k on completion of targets- OTE year one - up to 60k!

Working in fantastic offices for a great company in the City of London, this is a fabulous opportunity for the right candidate looking to enter the financial industry.

Full training and induction will be provided. A competitive basic salary and attractive bonus scheme is available.

Send your CV today

Generation Resourcing is one of the UK’s leading sales recruitment consultants in financial and investment sales. We have a depth of experience throughout the company, with many of our staff coming from your side of the industry. We therefore understand your problems, can manage your expectations and find you the right job at the right time.

With dozens of senior sales, trainee & FSA qualified broking positions available, there’s no better time than now to find your dream job!

===================================================

Has anyone got any information on Generation Resourcing? I mean, could anyone supply me some feedback on how well they work as a company / work enviroments / reliabilty etc?

I do know the living cost in london is higher than glasgow, so would £15k be enough to live on?
There is commision i know but i dont think i would be making much commision to start of, or is it possible?

I have be contacted by them with a brief chat and will contact me next week.

Thanks

Hi,

I have got 4-5 years experiance in a telesales and face to face enviroment and i am wanting to move onto the next step in my life. I have been searching for a few weeks now on different vacancies available and have come to a few questions.

Thanks

The only places that will have you on the phone 10 hours a day aren't proper stockbrokers, they're 'bucket shops'. No matter what these places try to tell you stockbroking (or investment management as a lot companys call it) isn't about cold calling clients, trying to convince them to invest in the latest crappy AIM stock that the company has brought to the market. Stockbroking is more admin, letter writing and collating performance than shouting "buy, sell" down the phone.

If you want to work for a reputable stockbroker you'll most likely have to gain the SII Diploma (which lets you handle discretionary accounts) after you've done the SII Certificate in Securities (up to 6 months) before you can have your own clients- the Diploma takes a minimum of 18 months to complete.

If you want to work for a dodgy stockbroker, being forced to sell rubbish stocks to grannys- go ahead if you're a good salesman, you could earn a lot of money but any half-decent broker wouldn't hire you after that. If you want to work for a reputable company and learn how to invest properly, I suggest reading-up on the subject. You can google a lot of information about the job.

From the jobs I've seen posted by Generation Resourcing, they only deal in the spivvy (i.e. sales) end of stockbroking. I very much doubt they have any contacts with Charles Stanley, Brewin Dolphin etc. I'd think long and hard about taking a job in London paying only £15k basic, especially in this economic climate.

Quick advice......stay in glasgow,£15k to work in city of london.......you'll starve unless you have friends/relations to stay with for peanuts.