Cables

rog1111

Established member
Hi

Can anyone tell me whether there is any significant difference between a RJ11 data cable and a standard BT telephone extension cable ? I am trying to optimise my broadband set up as I'm getting quite a few disconnections, running quite long extensions.

Thanks in advance
rog1111

One can buy gold-plated RJ11 cables which are supposed to provide better signals and better shielding, but in the tests I have read, they didn't notice any difference between these and the bog-standard cable!

How long are your extensions? Make sure your ADSL modem has the latest drivers and try not to use those line splitter telephone plugs. Also, run the cabling away from any power cabling, sockets or anything with a large magnetic influence, like an analogue monitor.

Do you know how far away your local exchange is? Ask BT to check your line as I know when they did some tweaking to my local exchange after a storm the line speed suddenly rose and connecting was much quicker. When you use the phone for voice calls do you notice much noise on the line?

I am not sure whether to recommend upgrading to a wireless network as it's costly and may introduce other connection problems like signal interference.

bluewave, thanks for your post.

Hmm, as I suspected re cables. I don't have any line spiltters, but need to check the modem drivers. The local exchange is a good 2 miles away or more. There's no noise on the telephone line that I am aware of. Might be a Tiscali problem ? They don't have the best BB reputation around, and I am considering upgrading anyway.

Thanks.

rog1111

Bluewave said:
One can buy gold-plated RJ11 cables which are supposed to provide better signals and better shielding, but in the tests I have read, they didn't notice any difference between these and the bog-standard cable!

How long are your extensions? Make sure your ADSL modem has the latest drivers and try not to use those line splitter telephone plugs. Also, run the cabling away from any power cabling, sockets or anything with a large magnetic influence, like an analogue monitor.

Do you know how far away your local exchange is? Ask BT to check your line as I know when they did some tweaking to my local exchange after a storm the line speed suddenly rose and connecting was much quicker. When you use the phone for voice calls do you notice much noise on the line?

I am not sure whether to recommend upgrading to a wireless network as it's costly and may introduce other connection problems like signal interference.

Just out of curiosity, how do you connect your ADSL modem to your PC and what speed of broadband are you paying for? USB modems have been known to cause power problems due to the nature of the connection, and while they are cheap to make & buy, most would recommend a different connection for the best reliability.

However, try finding the latest driver for the modem first and see if that helps. If it doesn't, consider how long these disconnections have been going on for..... ever since you've been with Tiscali? If this is your first broadband ISP it may still be worth asking BT to do a line check incase your line for some reason is on the borderline for handling so much bandwidth.

While Tiscali are often criticised on online forums, bear in mind they have thousands of happy customers who don't write good things about them in the same forums! Tiscali are still utilising the BT backbone, so that's why I'd guess the problem is either to do with your modem, modem connection, or the BT line.

Do you have any neighbours on broadband who don't use Tiscali and aren't having disconnection problems? If so, ask them who they use and which setup.

Sorry I can't be more definite with this advice - such problems inevitably involve research then trial and error! ;) Good luck.

Good points. I am bringing a ton of data down the line. It's an external Sagem USB modem., as supplied free by Tiscali. The BB is their slow one - ca 2.3 Mbps. My neighbour uses wireless with no problems apparently.

rog1111

2.3 Mbps? Slow?! I should be so lucky!!

That is a LOT of data going through a USB connection....