Buying on RNS news..

liam1om

A friend of mine says he has recently started to buy shares only when good news comes out.

For example when a company confirms on rns that it has recieved an offer. He says he buys within a minute of the new breaking and can usually make good money.

I was wondering if anyone else uses this strategy?

I don't use it but it should broadly work with two things that really need an eye kept on them:

1. Knowing what is good news. You could just wait for the real blindingly obvious things, but unless you know the background to the company you could get caught out. e.g. company reveals interim figures showing across the board +20% on all its figures. You wade in big time following the "good" news to later discover that all the analysts were predicting +40% and the stock tanks.

2. Some days the market is just going down and even a stock with good news will tank for no reason other than that the market is.

wysi

Yes thats true, but he generally looks at takeovers, mining reports etc.

He showed me one on friday and it went up 45% in about 5 mins!

liam1om said:
Yes thats true, but he generally looks at takeovers, mining reports etc.

He showed me one on friday and it went up 45% in about 5 mins!

Can anyone recommend a source of Live News, whether it be some kind of Desktop Ticker which scrolls RNS etc news across as it breaks, or another terminal of some kind. Free or Premium, it doesnt matter to me.

jamie473 said:
Can anyone recommend a source of Live News, whether it be some kind of Desktop Ticker which scrolls RNS etc news across as it breaks, or another terminal of some kind. Free or Premium, it doesnt matter to me.
Bloomberg terminal at $1700/month is the most premium I know of.

roberk said:
Bloomberg terminal at $1700/month is the most premium I know of.

Thanks roberk, when I said Premium I didn't quite mean a months wages :LOL: I just need a Live News Feed and am prepared to pay but nothing like that figure!

Ok, a less premium one that I use is www.needtoknownews.com at $95 a month but that is verbal only and starts at 8.am EST.
And also Bloomberg on TV (free or part of a cable subscription) is quite good.