Building a scanner for smooth charts.

thevinman

Hi Guys,

I am building a scanner for US stocks. I have finished it for 90% and I am getting great results.

But I am still looking for an indicator I can use to find stocks that have smooth charts (the flow in price looks nice and readable with hardly any choppiness)). Just like NTRS near the end of the trading day on friday.

I trade break out and break down set ups with a min daily vol, min today's vol, within a certain price range, MA's and ATR's.

I hope some of you can show me the right direction and of course the right indicator.

Kind regards,

Thevinman

hey vinman, maby look at adx +30 and above.
what prog are you using to scan with?
cheers B.

prorealtime

hey vinman, maby look at adx +30 and above.
what prog are you using to scan with?
cheers B.

Hi Bfirth,

I am using prorealtime. The company is based in France, but the software is in english.

With it comes the possibility to create your own screeners for any market. I am making scanners for the NYSE and the NASDAQ at the moment. I trade break out of the highs and break down of the lows.

I am already getting nice results, but I would like to have more stocks that show a nice flow in the charts.

Cheers thevinman

Hello vinman! I'm trading the same strategy as you since the last summer. I use the tarde-ideas pro filter to find clear moving stocks. there are many configurations here, but since the second half of may it doesnt show enough signals to trade stocks. mostly the number of signals for entry is close to zero. the market is very choppy now. i use high relative volume stock alert and look through 100 - 300 stocks a day from this filter and find clear 3-9 stocks to trade.you can also try this filter, the price is 85 $. but i think it is usefull only when the overall market is moving, now i'm not in delight with trade ideas.

Last edited:
Also i determined that this strategy is very profitable with high risk/reward ratio, but the one is seasonable, i think sometime before, along and some time afterthe earnings season when there are many investors with big money at the markets. May be i'm not right but this has current reflection on my net profit results through one year.

Thanks Anton

Also i determined that this strategy is very profitable with high risk/reward ratio, but the one is seasonable, i think sometime before, along and some time afterthe earnings season when there are many investors with big money at the markets. May be i'm not right but this has current reflection on my net profit results through one year.

hi Anton,

I have used trade-ideas in the past and I was very happy with the results. Now I have got the opportunity to create my own scanners via prorealtime.

I think I still have the settings in excel for some nice trading strategies for scanning. Let me know and I will send it to you. PM me if you would like the scannning set ups for trade ideas.

Cheers thevinman

Hi Bfirth,

I am using prorealtime. The company is based in France, but the software is in english.

With it comes the possibility to create your own screeners for any market. I am making scanners for the NYSE and the NASDAQ at the moment. I trade break out of the highs and break down of the lows.

I am already getting nice results, but I would like to have more stocks that show a nice flow in the charts.

Cheers thevinman

thanks, I'm always interested in what/how other people use/trade, especially as you have a similar style as me
cheers Bry.

hi Anton,

I have used trade-ideas in the past and I was very happy with the results. Now I have got the opportunity to create my own scanners via prorealtime.

I think I still have the settings in excel for some nice trading strategies for scanning. Let me know and I will send it to you. PM me if you would like the scannning set ups for trade ideas.

Cheers thevinman

Hello thevinman ! I'm from Russia and trading the markets for about 2 years. I enjoy the opportunity to have the trades in clear reading and smooth moving stocks. Thank you very much for your desire to help me. Can you please send me your setup's for the trade ideas filters. I have my own ones but they are helpfull when the overall market is moving, for example today i had a great trading beacuse the market was volitile especially some stocks in healthcare (MYGN, BEAT, AMAG in the morning for down direction and then towards up), but the stocks were not clear, so the trades were too risky at the points of entry. I can not find clear stocks since the 2-nd half of may, the last one i enjoyed was FAF(financial) nearly one month ago. Besides trade ideas i use the FINWIZ.com,- a briliant site ,i think, with market maps, screeners and news for every stock, also i always listen for the daytradingradio.com. God bless the guys who own it, but they are mostly taking the advantage of swing trading. How do you finding high probability securities intraday? What products do you use at the moment? Send me please your setups for the TA if you can.

with the best regards,
Anton!

Last edited:
By the way fellow traders, lets create here a great discussion of trading and finding the smooth charts, also with sharing the experience of getting the positions in the stocks you've traded, how to determine fake figures from high probability setups (volume confirmation, market participants actions, l2 pressure). Lets share all the experience we have and in complience we will get more advantages in finding great setups for trading!

Lets build a scanner for smooth charts based on our knowledges! :clap:

Good luck to all!

Check VMC

what is "smooth charts"?

Check out the VMC chart that I have attached to this message. The chart is very readable as the price flows up and down through the chart.

Cheers Peet

Attachments

• VULCAN MATERIALS HC.png
    VULCAN MATERIALS HC.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 366
are the following charts "smooth"?

Attachments

• 2.gif
    2.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 310
  • 3.gif
    3.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 302
  • 4.gif
    4.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 5.gif
    5.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 6.gif
    6.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 7.gif
    7.gif
    15 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Perhaps create trading bands using ATR and SMAs to create a range within which you regard the stock as being 'smooth' but when it moves outside the bands by either a given distance or a given number of times it is seen as 'non smooth'? Something like STARC bands?

Or create an envelope using SMA displaced by a certain number of days forward and back to create a more fixed type of band.

GIven that few stocks actually move that smoothly eg many have pullbacks based on Fibo numbers (or on no numbers at all) how would any math based method detect and compensate for that?

You could possibly use the zig zag indicator ( code to define swing points) and determine a % move beyond which you regard the stock as too volatile.

Certainly an interesting challenge.

Hi Guys,

I am building a scanner for US stocks. I have finished it for 90% and I am getting great results.

But I am still looking for an indicator I can use to find stocks that have smooth charts (the flow in price looks nice and readable with hardly any choppiness)). Just like NTRS near the end of the trading day on friday.

I trade break out and break down set ups with a min daily vol, min today's vol, within a certain price range, MA's and ATR's.

I hope some of you can show me the right direction and of course the right indicator.

Kind regards,

Thevinman
How about the choppiness index by Dreis

Advanced Indicator Set 1 Help File

Charlton