Broker research

jamezz34

Ive recently stopped working in equities thanks to the fact im now redundant. I used to get all sorts of broker research in my intray everday (trade ideas, industry overviews, company notes from ppl like citigroup, ing, barcap, socgen blah blah blah)

I sometimes think about trading equities again on my own but i cant see the wood for the trees without the stuff, its like putting oscar pistorius against usain bolt!

Where can i get hold of research? my former head of sales trading used to send it all my way but i dont have a bloomberg account anymore.

Anyone know? any1 want to split the cost?

Im sometimes amazed at how ppl think they can trade with techanalysis alone? :(

and i hate blowing my own trumpet but the tag rookie member has nothing to do with my experience in trading, rather my experience in posting in forums it seems. How hard can that be?

and i hate blowing my own trumpet but the tag rookie member has nothing to do with my experience in trading, rather my experience in posting in forums it seems. How hard can that be?

dont worry about it - get about 1,000+ decent and respected posts under your belt here and people will listen to you ;)

N

sorry. bit attention grabbing i know.

guess u wont want to answer the question now im groveling

I think you'll probably find that a great many folks here don't think very highly of broker research - rightly or wrongly.

you dont follow the letter, not scripture, but what key analysts say on the subject is not irrelevant.

e.g. citi adds Stock A to most preferred list, I want to know before the open. learning that half an hour through the open in a DJ newswire isn't much use to me.

I always thought its about market awareness not being a sheep

TBH i dont know why i posted this question on a day trading forum, like u said its not really relevant if youre a scalper

TBH i dont know why i posted this question on a day trading forum, like u said its not really relevant if youre a scalper

I don't get it, you want to know when stocks get upgraded but this isn't information isn't relevant if your a day trader...hmmm. either way, broker research is pretty useless, the research is often promotional and rarely has any insights beyond what a quick look through annual reports could achieve. in fact, it is often wilfully ignorant of a lot of 'bad stuff'. let me guess, you used to work on the sellside? thankfully, the industry is changing.

why didnt you grab every contact reference, valuable research article and piece of useful literature before you walked out the door ?

yea sellside.... i no longer keep in touch with colleagues, it was a bit of a messy fallout.....ppl were poached then sacked almost immediately, poor mngment decisions

anyway i would be interested to know what kind of trading techniques you guys employ, obviously without giving too much away.

On the subject of broker research, i know there is a hell of a lot of arguments against it, you only have to open a CFA textbook to start reading criticisms. It is however valuable to investors, but it is the buy/sell/hold/add recommendations that probably causes the most controversy. I know nobody listens to them....nevertheless, I mean I usually used it at the pre-open because it is useful to know where broker sentiment is in the market. I know that this would not tally necessarily with activity in the particular stock during the day. but it is handy nevertheless to be mindful of

Cheers

Jamezz,

Yeap, I've been there: drowning under piles and piles of research, purging my mailbox from an ever-increasing amount of unread-emails, deleting countless morning-call voice mails,... and now oops, you've got to do the hard work about who said what and when about which company (I assume that you're an equity man) and how does that square with your own views and knowledge.

For some reasons, the issue about access to institutional broker research has rarely been discussed on this forum - nor on ADVFN or III (which are equity focused). May be because brokers aren't allowed by the FSA to pass institutional research with Buy/Hold/Sell rec to Joe retail punter. Or is it because most of active retail investors - not having access to fundamental research - use technical charts or use a top down view to make their calls. I also suspect that a fair amount do get access thanks to their jobs but keep it quiet when they post on these sites.

You may want to check Ransquawk, IG Index' brokers rating pdf, FT Alphaville and if you still have a FSA active membership, you may try to get access the latter's Long Room. For macro views / strategy, you may find some interesting pieces at Scribd (as a start, search for my ID Alphatracker and check who I'm following). And if you manage to get access to some of your former brokers' research, then you could PM me if you are interested in swapping fundamental notes / reports.

Good luck and let me know.

Alphahunter / Alphatracker

thanks for the advice, alphahunter, Its good to know my posts arent being completely ignored.

The main reason it strictly cant be passed on might be the copyright or terms of distribution on the back end of research notes. Maybe then people like i mentioned in the previous post, as well as UK analyst, paraphrase and distribute it to the masses.

do you trade for a living or just in spare time if u dont mind me asking?

Neither I'm afraid.

The idea was that I would give it a go in spare time and it started being all-consumming. I slaved from early August to early March, when I took the sail three-quarter down.

The idea was that I would make a living and I don't in these risk-on risk-off markets. I do when it's boring.

Luckily I have other sources of income, but that does not address the points above.

Which instruments do you trade? Do you invest actively, trade or scalp?

used to trade equities, but with the power of bloomberg, plently of in and out house research as well as the basic technicals we all use. Know of ppl who left the city and still do it from home.

but without those sort of professional tools, i do feel at a massive disadvantange, but you can trade profitably without them, but they are a nice luxury to have.

one thing i will say about trading is you have to be f-ing dynamic. Strategies come and go like the wind and youve got to spot the market conditions quick enough not to make a big mistake. In markets like this i might throw in the towel on an idea v.quickly

like i was saying in another thread, correlations are fleeting in and out, and with news youve either got to spot it f-ing early otherwise your last in line. Got to be able to process relevant information and turn it into a trading strategy fast while controlling your entry and exit. You can plan ideas before the open but it rarely ever goes according to plan, thats where the skill comes in.

as for those guys with those sit and wait technical strategies, like a trade is just going to fall on your lap, your p&l will likely suck for 6 months of the year, whilst all the news/ information/analytics passing you by and not taking any notice. but i dont think anyone is stupid enough to think this is a long term way to trade

trading on pure technical rules will and can work from time to time but returns really depend on how the market is moving e.g. using MA crossovers in a range bound market is gonna wipe you out, so gotta b dynamic. .

sorry 4 waffle but from what ive seen, good traders use a combination of learning how the market reacts day to day and to specific announcements, and specific companies e.g. mining stocks combined with a healthy flow of trade ideas as well as basic technical indicators. To me there is no silver bullet in trading.

from what you were saying, yea it can be a f-ing pain in the ass on days when 99 out 100 of ftse are up in the morning and all are negative by the afternoon but youve gotta be ready for that headache. Good trading is not a part time job and nobody expects an equity trader in a bank to be a professor in macroeconomics but thats not to say you shouldnt keep mindful of the headline risks.

times like this stock fundamentals kind of go out the window, but either sit out on some days which inevitably will happen or look for something else, e.g. stay away from a pairs trade but could trade the sentiment on Europe through the uk banks, if youve got the nerve switch to headline announcements instead. and while this is still all going on youve gotta have the other eye on risk management too.

Ive never been on an FX, fixed income desk so i cant speak for those markets.

Reactions: NVP
Sure,
what you say is correct.
I was caught off-guard in August last year with long positions in German short positions in the UK back.

I take a longer-term view, 1 week to say 6 months (could be more for small cap), mostly on equity, with a hefty dose of fundamental analysis (I record and listen to company conference calls, read broker research & the FT almost every day,...) and go Long & Short. That way, I don't spend my time watching price movements and keep the market feel with CNBC in the background in the morning and evening.

can be very time consuming what you do. Do you apply stock filters? i remember i used to do proper fundamental research when i had a capital iq subscription as bloomberg wasnt the best at that.

i generally stick to banking, mining, oil and gas sectors becos thats what i understand and thats where most the movement tends to be at moment. ill read all the broker research i can, do my fundamentals, study major shareholder movements and use a lot of basic technicals mainly RSI, support, resistance etc. i may dabble in other sectors from time to time depending whether i spot anything but generally there are too many stories to follow if you r looking at the entire market in that depth.

how long i hold the position depends on the strategy im using, pairs maybe longer, breakouts short term obviously

if ur really into ur pairs then here's a really good article

http://aima-canada.org/doc_bin/AIMA-Canada-June2006_StrategyPaper1-Equity_Market_Neutral.pdf