Broadband. USB or Ethernet

ashwoka

Is it better to run your broadband through the USB or Ethernet connection.

Is there any difference at all in speed or reliability.

Thanks for any help on this.

Is it better to run your broadband through the USB or Ethernet connection.

Is there any difference at all in speed or reliability.

Thanks for any help on this.

Definitely Ethernet. Any cost difference is minimal. There is no good reason to use USB and many for ethernet.

my understanding is that Ethernet is the better option for various reasons:

more stable connection
you can run much longer cables
you won't need USB driver software which is just another thing to cause problems

but, there are many IT pros on these boards who can probably advise you better than this layman!

...and you can *share* your internet connection with ethernet (if need be). i don't believe you can with usb :)

In my view if you have a choice always choose ethernet. Also I have never seen USB routers to share internet connections as they are all ethernet based.

Paul

I would use ethernet as most of the broadband wireless routers like Netgear and SKY now provide hubs with 4 ethernet connections....

It allows one to connect external drives via ethernet connection......

You can daisy chain broadband hub and other items like printers / drives via ethernet switches allowing all to share all hardware.....

I have this set up at home...I have 3 external Ximeta hard drives linked to router which is also wireless etc.....Kids amd me share all drives now....I can control what junk they pick up as well...!

USB is now relegated to joysticks and memory sticks....I

USB has it's uses...

I use both and to be honest I can see no differences surfing wise between the two in speed or function, reliability could be an issue with usb as has already been said, so go with ethernet if this is available. Isnt it onboard as standard on your pc?

Lightning

Thanks for replys

My partner set up the broadband and you are given a choice at the beginning to either set up with USB or ETHERNET, she chose USB. Its with BT.

Was just wondering wether it is worth uninstalling and reinstalling it on the Ethernet option.

When a bit bored I might switch it over.

Thanks everyone for that.......food for thought.

my understanding is that Ethernet is the better option for various reasons:

more stable connection
you can run much longer cables
you won't need USB driver software which is just another thing to cause problems

but, there are many IT pros on these boards who can probably advise you better than this layman!

Its also:
- much faster (my connection is 1000 Mbps vs relatively few for your USB)
- is more likely to have efficient (low processor overhead) connectivity
- will support more complex network options (routers, switches, hubs etc).

But to be realistic, if the existing USB is fine then I wouldn't change it until you perceived an issue.