Brexit - in or out

No - just that without a large number of foreign/immigrant workers it would.

But that has little to do with Brexit. When I lived in the UK, up until the early sixties, the NHS, bus services, all depended on foreign labour. In those days, Indians, Pakistanis, Jamaicans, but it was controlled better.

But that has little to do with Brexit. When I lived in the UK, up until the early sixties, the NHS, bus services, all depended on foreign labour. In those days, Indians, Pakistanis, Jamaicans, but it was controlled better.

No, it hasn't. That was the point of the post.

But being in the EU does raise the problem of having uncontrolled foreigners coming in. Even if you stay in, but with certain restrictions on immigrants, as soon as they get legalised in the EU, they will be able to enter the UK as EU citizens.

Neverthesless, apart from that, it seems to me that a referendum will result in a Brexit and it is, probably, the best for the rest of us in the long run because the Brits, in general, are always moaning about themselves.

Sorry, guys, but it needs to be said. You are not good EU members.

Last edited:
what on earth does political union have to do with immigration?

nobody is against immigration or migrant workers. What people are against is unrestricted and unchecked immigration.

The system we have now is just to open the door and allow anyone to come in to the UK whether they are qualified nurses or not, whether we need them here or not, whether they are criminals or not, whether they are qualified or useful in any way or not.

Better that we have a visa system just like most other countries do, and allow in as many migrant workers as we feel we need at any time. if we want 10,000 nurses then we issue 10,000 visas for nurses. Not complicated. Under a visa system we get the numbers we need, and we get the people with the skills we need, and lastly, it means that we can take migrants from all over the world and not just from the EU. So instead of the unemployed/unemployable Portuguese or Greeks, we can have qualified nurses from Asia, or anywhere else.

how do you not understand this?

Or........you could limit the immigration and raise the wages of nurses. Creating a greater supply of nurses. If you have a policy of guest workers to fill vacancies you are not investing in your nation. The guest workers leave , creating vacancies again.....and taking their experience with them.

what on earth does political union have to do with immigration?

nobody is against immigration or migrant workers. What people are against is unrestricted and unchecked immigration.

The system we have now is just to open the door and allow anyone to come in to the UK whether they are qualified nurses or not, whether we need them here or not, whether they are criminals or not, whether they are qualified or useful in any way or not.

Better that we have a visa system just like most other countries do, and allow in as many migrant workers as we feel we need at any time. if we want 10,000 nurses then we issue 10,000 visas for nurses. Not complicated. Under a visa system we get the numbers we need, and we get the people with the skills we need, and lastly, it means that we can take migrants from all over the world and not just from the EU. So instead of the unemployed/unemployable Portuguese or Greeks, we can have qualified nurses from Asia, or anywhere else.

how do you not understand this?

A visa system is fine, if you do not have poverty stricken neighbours. The EU has and the UK can thank its lucky stars that it is an island, otherwise there would be no stopping them. Ask an American whether visas are much good against Mexicans.

A visa system is fine, if you do not have poverty stricken neighbours. The EU has and the UK can thank its lucky stars that it is an island, otherwise there would be no stopping them. Ask an American whether visas are much good against Mexicans.
Lucky stars - I think not. Europeans have been flocking here since the credit crunch. As more disaster countries joined, more came. It's too late for a visa system

Why not England out and Scotland in ?
We could put tariffs on their whiskey etc. as it passes through. They would just love to do that to us if they could. We could get rid of all those stupid rules Brussells like to churn out and no need to pay for useless EU Parliaments ( yes both of them )

But being in the EU does raise the problem of having uncontrolled foreigners coming in. Even if you stay in, but with certain restrictions on immigrants, as soon as they get legalised in the EU, they will be able to enter the UK as EU citizens.

Neverthesless, apart from that, it seems to me that a referendum will result in a Brexit and it is, probably, the best for the rest of us in the long run because the Brits, in general, are always moaning about themselves.

Sorry, guys, but it needs to be said. You are not good EU members.

Split, seriously, the EU in it's present format is a complete bag of poop and the enlightened know it.

The trouble with us Brits is.....we will only put up with nonsense for so long.....then when we've had enough....we kick ass ! :LOL:

Split, seriously, the EU in it's present format is a complete bag of poop and the enlightened know it.

The trouble with us Brits is.....we will only put up with nonsense for so long.....then when we've had enough....we kick ass ! :LOL:

I was wondering when I was going to get an indignant answer!:D

You are right, cv, there is a hell of a lot wrong with Europe. Now, tell me that there is not a hell of a lot wrong with the UK.

Boris the menace apparently doesn't think we should leave but simply that we can get a better deal because the rest of EU needs th UK. Needless to say UK does not need the Union of Europe.

One other sentiment to the debate irrespective of what we all think. Yesterday MR MARKET dumped the pound. AND we all know MR MARKET is always right. No need to shout about it.

There was a number 1.20 - thrown about. This is not a good signal imo. Might help with a one off boost to exports but long term view is that UK economy will be weaker as a consequence of a brexit.

Last edited:
Is it just me but I can think of more cons than pros for both of them.
Accountants and lawyers will be having a field day if the vote is out while they adjust the figures.
The top hogs will no doubt be hedging their bets whichever.

When I go to London I feel like I am in a foreign country. I often play spot the native when I get on a train at Stratford. The carriage is generally full of foreign speaking people going to work. Outside the EU I reckon that train would have a lot of free seats. Going to the Dr or hospital wouldn't be greeted with stupendous queues and the NHS wouldn't be over stretched. I know people are going to throw the age old argument that half of the staff are foreign. That doesn't have to change with an appropriate visa system. Housing would be more affordable with less people and maybe the UK could finally implement a tax system for people that own many buy to let properties with a tax threshold that squeezes landlords more as they aquire property - a home should never be an investment instrument (I read about a guy in Bristol that has 140 properties). Also the UK could introduce competitive laws for companies and open free trade agreements with more countries. You only have to look at Norway and Switzerland to see how well they are operating outside the EU.

Do you really believe London won't flourish outside of the EU?

Well Frankfurt have always eyed what London financial industry has been so good at.

Question is, why wouldn't Frankfurt, Paris and Milan play for keeping the unions finance industry within its borders?

Why give London what it can keep for it self. I wouldn't if I was a German/French or Italian banker? It's purely business!

I appreciate the GMT time zone is a big key factor (advantage for London) for being in the market when both NA and EU is open simultaneously but anybody who says it will be BAU is not being honest or rational with the impact of an exit.

Boris has already got a big slap from the City. So has that Zac running for Mayor of London whilst not having interest of London at all. These guys are just playing for Tory leadership. I think that's pretty obvious is it not?

When I go to London I feel like I am in a foreign country. I often play spot the native when I get on a train at Stratford. The carriage is generally full of foreign speaking people going to work. Outside the EU I reckon that train would have a lot of free seats. Going to the Dr or hospital wouldn't be greeted with stupendous queues and the NHS wouldn't be over stretched. I know people are going to throw the age old argument that half of the staff are foreign. That doesn't have to change with an appropriate visa system. Housing would be more affordable with less people and maybe the UK could finally implement a tax system for people that own many buy to let properties with a tax threshold that squeezes landlords more as they aquire property - a home should never be an investment instrument (I read about a guy in Bristol that has 140 properties). Also the UK could introduce competitive laws for companies and open free trade agreements with more countries. You only have to look at Norway and Switzerland to see how well they are operating outside the EU.

Only because they are small countries on the periphery of EU and many of their young population usually leave to travel at first opportunity.

I do agree they are happy places to live and grow up being social democratic countries with some of the highest taxation in the World. (y)

One small problem - they like the Japanese are a dying race as birth rates are less than 2.

Well Frankfurt have always eyed what London financial industry has been so good at.

Question is, why wouldn't Frankfurt, Paris and Milan play for keeping the unions finance industry within its borders?

Why give London what it can keep for it self. I wouldn't if I was a German/French or Italian banker? It's purely business!

I appreciate the GMT time zone is a big key factor (advantage for London) for being in the market when both NA and EU is open simultaneously but anybody who says it will be BAU is not being honest or rational with the impact of an exit.

Boris has already got a big slap from the City. So has that Zac running for Mayor of London whilst not having interest of London at all. These guys are just playing for Tory leadership. I think that's pretty obvious is it not?

Yes, but it's a fact of life that they exist and they are on top of the heap, whether we like them or not.

I think that there is something of that in all of us. People are frightened for their jobs, their health needs, even their hollidays and they are going to vote accordingly. My family could not care less but me? I would be sorry but would hope for a status quo, ie, that the UK stays in. All Brits who have property here won't want their boat to be rocked.

Selfish? Of course. Aren't we all?

Yes, but it's a fact of life that they exist and they are on top of the heap, whether we like them or not.

I think that there is something of that in all of us. People are frightened for their jobs, their health needs, even their hollidays and they are going to vote accordingly. My family could not care less but me? I would be sorry but would hope for a status quo, ie, that the UK stays in. All Brits who have property here won't want their boat to be rocked.

Selfish? Of course. Aren't we all?

Expats who want to sell and return back to the UK will get more £ for their Euro.

Holidays in the UK should be cheaper too :)

I'm obviously with you as our greater interest lies in the EU. All the globe are setting up trading pacts and agreements emulating EU and UK things it can do better in an international place on her own. Just crazy imo. :idea: