Breakout Trading using Time and Sales

Also, I don't trade forex as much as U.S. stocks, however, I do swing trade the USD/CAD pair whenever my signal comes. The Canadian dollar has crossed parity to the US dollar. Definitely a great time to go long the US dollar or short the Canadian dollar.

Amit

The long USD/CAD trade is working out nicely. Probably going to hold it out for a while to see if the USD gets to around 0.95 per CAD and then think of closing. Not sure how many "pips" that is, but should be nice gain. :)

Interesting setup on HGSI today. I didn't trade it, but it did what I thought it might.

Here's what I read pre-market on briefing.com regarding HGSI:

Human Genome: FDA Panel votes 13-2 positive recommending that Benlysta be approved

In reaction to this news, the stock gapped up almost 10%. And then, a few minutes before markets opened, briefing.com said the following:

Human Genome falling sharply in pre-mkt, now -11.5% after gaining ~11% in after-hours following yesterday's positive panel vote on Benlysta

I suspected the decrease in the stock may simply have been hedge funds/institutional investors selling the news during the gap up. Thus, there was no inherent reason for HGSI to be falling. So, I suspected that as the market opens, HGSI may crawl back up and close its gap as all the buyers come in on the good news. That's exactly what it did.

I didn't trade it as it moving too fast on level 2 for me to follow, but it just goes to show that common sense goes a long way in trading.

Attachments

• HGSI_gapclose.jpg
    HGSI_gapclose.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 199
It so turns out that an excellent trader, who I have had the honor of meeting, got two very nice bites out of HGSI. Kudos to him!

Last edited:
hey amit i just started tape reading today! though i was reading the time and sales of the YM rather than stocks, thing is i want to read stocks but not just ones which are completely algo driven correlated stocks...any personal favourites of yours that you would recommend for a noobie?

edit: taking in mind i don't have level 2 data!

Chartsy,

I used to use only time and sales and I found it difficult to develop an edge. Once I started using level 2, I am finding a big difference. The thing with only reading orders is that you can't see support/resistance from the market makers. I do keep an eye on time and sales, but won't trade simply by seeing a rush of buying/selling. I need to see market makers and ECNs supporting the price action on time and sales.

I don't really have any particular favorites - I trade whatever I can read. Unfortunately, almost every stock is algo driven, but that isn't a problem once you spot patterns in their behavior. Sorry if this doesn't reply doesn't help as much as you had hoped...

hmm, i haven't a clue what to look for on level 2 though, in fact i just found out my demo has level 2, don;t exactly understand it !

As I see it, then, you really have two options:

1) Open a level 2 screen and start watching a couple of moderate-volume stocks. These stocks are less filled with noise and more with trading volume. Make sure the spread is small and it moves smoothly.

2) Find a trader who uses level 2 these days and ask him/her to teach you. This will cost you but could save you a lot of time and money in the future. Mr Charts is one great option and he has a cd of video files showing you just how he uses level 2 and it is much cheaper than doing his course. Just a suggestion.

Markets opening in minutes so this is a quick reply.

Didn't expect things to be this difficult today. I had lots of stocks on my watchlist prior to market opening and combined with the huge gap up, I had expected some nice moves early in the morning. Instead, I haven't found a single trade yet. There have been some nice moves on some of my stocks, but their ATRs were far too large to justify an entry.

Perhaps there might be something in the afternoon session.

My long USD/CAD trade is doing handsomely right now, currently at 0.9785. I'm still thinking it could get to around 0.95 where we could close out the position. In the event it doesn't, I'll exit for small profit near breakeven.

Last edited:
Results within the first half hour:

AMGN: -2 cents per share
JKS: -1 cent per share
CVVT: +17 cents per share

Need to keep the losers small and the profitable trades will work themselves out. I probably closed my CVVT reversal trade too early, but since the spread was large and volume was low, a succession of selling pressure would have dropped the price heavily. Better to just take the profits while they are there.

Yup, out of CVVT too early - much too early! Had I just stuck to the opposite end of the previous candle rules, I would have been approximately 30 cents per share more in profit...don't get it right all time!

LH presented several trading opportunities today based on level 2 momentum and chart logic. I will post a chart a little later, explaining my entries and exits and the few nice scalps I took out of it.

For those interested, check out the 5-minute chart and try to find any news related reason for the move.

I'll explain more when the market closes.

LH - Arbitrage?

I spotted LH after it had plunged down quickly. At this point, I was looking for a reversal trade - potentially, a setup that I had described in a previous post. However, upon the upwards break of the hammer-like candle, there was little momentum on level 2 to confirm an entry.

It then continued to plunge down (as were the ES and NQ futures) and consolidated above the 50-cent level. After a small retracement, it continued down but effectively formed a double bottom.

One thing to note is that there was no news explaining why LH was plunging down on heavy volume. So, I presumed it could have been a hedge fund selling their position or another large market player. Given this scenario, I suspected buyers may now come in and try to grab the stock while it's "cheap". As soon as the neckline of the double-bottom was broken and momentum was strong on level 2, I initiated a long position.

Entry: 81.67
Exit: 81.81
Profit: +14 cents per share
Length of trade: 10 minutes

I would have held it for a nice swing trade, however, with the weak market, it could have turned around fast, so I locked in my profits.

My second trade was the break of the consolidation zone. At this point, the futures were heading north and there was strong bid pressure on level 2. I closed my position when I observed a spike in volume.

Entry: 81.95
Exit: 82.10
Profit: +15 cents per share
Length of trade: 13 minutes

Two modest scalps out of a simple pattern on the chart. In summary:

- Stock falls on high volume rapidly
- No fundamental / news-related reason for the fall, suggesting the possibility of an "arbitrage" type trade
- Strong buying pressure on level 2 & time and sales
- classic double bottom setup
- ES futures rallying to new afternoon highs

Each of the above added to the probability of a successful trade, thereby allowing me to get a total 29 cents per share profit. This was quite an enjoyable trade as level 2 was steady and easy to read. The steadiness of level 2 allowed me to maintain control of my emotions and I was able to execute almost-perfect entries and exits.

Attachments

• LH_arbitrage.jpg
    LH_arbitrage.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 238
  • LH1_broker.jpg
    LH1_broker.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 129
  • LH2_broker.jpg
    LH2_broker.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 118
Just snatched a 24 cent scalp from BWS breakout in a 20 second trade. The setup was similar to the one posted by Mr. Charts of rising candles. I will post a chart later on.

Keeping an eye on CISG to see if I can get some sort of reversal trade, but not at all comfortable with the wild spread. So, unless there is very strong momentum on level 2, I will not be taking it.

CISG may present an excellent reversal trade, however, I have decided to not take it as the spread is far too large.

Yes, the spread varies from 2c to 8c constantly, though there is certainly some price improvement happening judging by T&S. It's also a bit too prone to sudden shifts to safely trade within the spread.
Richard