Breakout Trading - Conviction vs Risk

RichB Trader

2 0
Hello all!

I am new to Trade 2 Win, so firstly Hi! Looking forward to being involved in the community.

I have been breakout trading with decent success, some winners and some losers but overall making decent returns. I have found a good balance between discretionary and non discretionary trading as well as applying strict risk management. Having read at least 10 off the main books, watched webinars & Youtube videos along with a year on demo accounts, I am nearly ready to go to a Live account.

I am doing pretty well at finding good trade setups, considering price action and volume mainly but with a glance at indicators and some fundamental/news awareness to. Although my Win Ratio is a little lower than I would like. The issue I have is getting good entries. Lets say I find a typical ascending triangle pattern, trading with the trend etc. etc. In my experience one of 3 things happen.

1. It breaks out by 0.5% - 1% on day 1, then reverses back below the trigger. This one is easy, don’t trade it!
  2. It breaks out by the same 0.5% - 1%, day 2 it ranges around the trigger. Great I can get a good entry on this with conviction of it holding above the trigger for 2 days.
  3. It breaks out by several % (above 4-5%), these I miss completely, some come back down to the trigger on a pullback (which I can trade if I believe the trend is still OK), most often it does not and a really good quick trade with large returns is missed.

As mentioned I use a 2 close filter, i.e the price has to remain above my trigger for 2 full days. This has saved me lots of cash in whipsaws from #1. However this means I miss opportunities from #3. Of course I could put an entry in above the trigger at 2-3% to catch those big moves, but then you are a long way from market structure with a poor risk:reward ratio should it turn the other way.

I hear of other using time bound (like me), % bound, combination of the 2, certain candles on breakout or only trading pull backs etc. etc. So the question is, what filters/rules do you use for your breakout trade entries to keep the conviction high, but not miss too many moves?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock