Boiler Room Scams

darby.thomson said:
:eek: I was taken in too. In hindsight, the simplest check is to ignore the email addresses they give you & do a search for the various outfits who will be handling your money. If Google or Yahoo Can't find them, it's a fair bet that they are a figment of somebody's imagination. But they ARE good***.

They were very good and I should have know better after being scam before and I was like you after doing all the DD on them but still got scam. :devilish:

Pharma Holdings Inc

The other day a friend showed me a share certificate for Pharma Holdings Inc. Looked a bit odd, though I don't know why. Maybe because you don't often see share certificates these days, it's all electronic.
Is it a scam company, or is it for real?

firestorm said:
Hi rub1

Yes one was echo resources and the other is Pharma Holdings Inc. this being the latest one, Could you tell me how you know they are being investigated by nevis regulators please.I have been trying to find out any info on pharma Holings their web site looks good however at www.pharmaholdingsinc.com
Thanks for your reply
regards firestorm

Pharma Holdings Inc

If I can't find a companies registration number it must be a scam, but how did this poor old guy get landed with such a share certificate? Maybe it was a Christmas present joke from a relative.
Surely nobody would buy into a company they couldn't have checked out? How would this happen. (Would people give me money for nothing as well?)

anley said:
Susie

Odds on it's a scam.

Web site view

Looks like a 1 man company to me - the web site just links to dozens of other web sites in the pharma field - so has little inherent expertise or IPR to be valued as a real investment with growth expectations at this stage - hence why they need the investment funds to sustain and grow their efforts.

Scam or 1 man firm

So is there a firm called Pharma Holdings Inc or not? Sounds like a Columbian drug baron's money laundering front!
How do I find a registration number to know if it really exists?

jrawlin1 said:
Looks like a 1 man company to me - the web site just links to dozens of other web sites in the pharma field - so has little inherent expertise or IPR to be valued as a real investment with growth expectations at this stage - hence why they need the investment funds to sustain and grow their efforts.

Pharma Holdings

Thanks, that is very illuminating.
So, if this old guy has parted with money to get the share certificate, and not just been given it by a fellow Rotarian as a classic scam example, his money is now in the Bahamas?

Anybody know a good Fraud Squad Operator in the Bahamas? (Or similar, but would rather have cash than blood, you know. I don't do violence. No profit in that.)

Hi SusieD
Pharma holdings has appeared on this board before as mentioned in some of the replies here. I too got sucked some of the way into this one and it is getting out of hand now. the story is as follows.
Call from Argus Global Equities. Buy Poseidis, a water company going to the moon, this goes up a penny a day for a few months, many calls to buy more. then, offerred O2 Deisel, several times, then, switched without my consent to pharma without my knowledge, now, a company called Guardian I think is calling to switch me into barrick gold, alledgedly after a buyout, (What the hell barrick gold want with pharma, who knows?) Anyway, I get the calls and I listen to the stories, this is one of the last scams I bought into over the years, what I have learnt is this, someone calls you to offer you stock, have a listen, then see if you can find a broker, either high street or on line that will short the stock, If no-one will take the short, 99.9%scam on a "live" stock. In the real world, certs are rarely issued these days for anything stock wise, I have had calls over the years from people offering to send certs before I pay, thats how desparate they get! This doesnt happen in the real world!
There is a yahoo group for Argus victims, I will repost the link when I get back to my home e-mail, it will give you an idea to the extent the scam has gone, an interesting post on there that few have picked up on, and I would be interested to see if any of the guys on here remember mention of Montaque securities? originally in the Bahamas, linked to Argus and other companies and all kinds of stock manipulation out of canada and the bahamas, I have a little info on them somewhere, I will have to dig it out.
As for your person with the cert, they will get calls for all kinds of deals, claiming that "if you dont send the cert and more money, you'll lose what you put in, and you won't be able to sell the cert" with the promise of some big return if you comply. Take well learned experiance, write the money off, dont send any more, even if it's to a different company, they arent the good guys, they dont have the answers, its the same people, most likely still in Amsterdam or Spain, just different names. Keep the cert, 1 in a 1000 turn into something, (triton motorcycles did a few years ago, some 7 years or so after my friend bought into it) Maybe you'll get lucky.

SusieD said:
The other day a friend showed me a share certificate for Pharma Holdings Inc. Looked a bit odd, though I don't know why. Maybe because you don't often see share certificates these days, it's all electronic.
Is it a scam company, or is it for real?

Pharma

Thank you for that. My friend says he didn't send any money yet and thought it very trusting of someone to send him a share cert he hadn't paid for. I think it very odd to see an actual share cert at all these days- the paper is not the usual watermarked stuff anyway.

I always make sure a company exists, even check out the annual report and accounts, before paying and getting into it. There are Chinese things going round that sound good nbut fail the checks, such as the Double Carbon Battery Company. Their product will make all other batteries redundant, they assured me, repeatedly. But they couldn't assure me the company exists!

So my friend will be taking his phoney share cert and associated bumph to the FSA this week. You never know, there might be a price on their heads.

Pharma Holdings Inc sounds like a euphemism for a drug dealer's stash!

THE BOYS FROM CAPITAL TRADING ARE BACK !!!

I have been called by a company "Good Wins Capital Investment Management", this time based in Korea Seoul and have been asked if I am interested in their free brochure. The girl by the name of Lara David (she sounded very familiar see my post 07.02) was not able to give me a company phone number or web address, but she was trying very hard to get me hooked again. The scary part they knew everything about my company, incl. the address, thank God it changed many years ago, which shows they are working of old records. Let's see where this is going, will keep you guys posted !!

anuanua said:
THE BOYS FROM CAPITAL TRADING ARE BACK !!!

I have been called by a company "Good Wins Capital Investment Management", this time based in Korea Seoul and have been asked if I am interested in their free brochure. The girl by the name of Lara David (she sounded very familiar see my post 07.02) was not able to give me a company phone number or web address, but she was trying very hard to get me hooked again. The scary part they knew everything about my company, incl. the address, thank God it changed many years ago, which shows they are working of old records. Let's see where this is going, will keep you guys posted !!

I also got a call from a girl by the name of Lilian Lee and they called themselves Brown Trading but based in Japan and than a guy called me as well but I told them F***O. So be are careful all.

in fact, you suppose to tell them youre interested with their investment and willing to invest 50 million? before that, you would like to meet their managing director or CEO? see what they can tell you? :p

if they are willing to meet you in real life or some place, then report this to your local police before the meeting and the authorities should be able to track them :devilish:

:cheesy:

I suspect if you did that you would get burgled by sun-up and your family threatened within the week!
These are not nice people, seriously, not at all nice. The sort who might slip a horse's head onto your pillow as you slept.

From experience, all that happens when you try to bait these theives like that is they will continue to drop the amount of stock that you can do right now, the urgency being that there wont be the opportunity tomorrow, reason being I guess is that they figure if you really have 50 million to invest, they'll get the vice president (as it always seems to be) to get it out of you. The best way to wind these people up is say yes to a 10k trade after their ceasless drivell, have them send the trade (giving a wrong e-mail wastes some time, if they will do it, have them courier it to you) then, when they finally get it to you, give them a quick call and ask them how you pay (it really gets there hopes up) then, copy all the documents, send them to your local authorities and newspapers (the press are loving this kind of stuff at the moment, especially in the UK) then, when the broker calls you asking if you made payment, tell them "oh yes, my bank is posting me a receipt" (you can usually stretch it a week before they start getting annoyed) then, when they start getting rowdy, say, "oh, the bank made a mistake, they are sending it again", then, if its a live stock, and its gone up, just tell them, "I want to sell now, send me the profit" at this point, they will be so wound up, there is a good chance they will hang up on you!
They will try all sorts of things to appeal to your greed, this I have found works best, they rarely bother you again, and despite numourous blacklisting threats from all sorts of "hotshot" brokers, from every corner of the earth, no-one has ever persued me for a non payment of a stock I said yes to on the phone.

looker1 said:
From experience, all that happens when you try to bait these theives like that is they will continue to drop the amount of stock that you can do right now, the urgency being that there wont be the opportunity tomorrow, reason being I guess is that they figure if you really have 50 million to invest, they'll get the vice president (as it always seems to be) to get it out of you. The best way to wind these people up is say yes to a 10k trade after their ceasless drivell, have them send the trade (giving a wrong e-mail wastes some time, if they will do it, have them courier it to you) then, when they finally get it to you, give them a quick call and ask them how you pay (it really gets there hopes up) then, copy all the documents, send them to your local authorities and newspapers (the press are loving this kind of stuff at the moment, especially in the UK) then, when the broker calls you asking if you made payment, tell them "oh yes, my bank is posting me a receipt" (you can usually stretch it a week before they start getting annoyed) then, when they start getting rowdy, say, "oh, the bank made a mistake, they are sending it again", then, if its a live stock, and its gone up, just tell them, "I want to sell now, send me the profit" at this point, they will be so wound up, there is a good chance they will hang up on you!
They will try all sorts of things to appeal to your greed, this I have found works best, they rarely bother you again, and despite numourous blacklisting threats from all sorts of "hotshot" brokers, from every corner of the earth, no-one has ever persued me for a non payment of a stock I said yes to on the phone.

oh.. this is a good idea.. they will get annoyed! :cool:

Boiler rooms

But a British person can't do that - we work on the basis that "my word is my bond".
These boiler roomscams are talking about stocks that don't exist, like Pharma Holdings Inc. These are money laundering people bleeding investment funds from the recently retired.

The latest thing is trying to get people to buy plots of building land in green fields that are not designated for development. Everyone pays the same per square inch, they tell you, but then start haggling for your money by dropping the asking price. When you look at the local structure plan you see it will not be built on and talking to the ODPM assures you that it is either a very long term bet or a scam.

scams

My view is that while people respond to these scams it will continue to fuel these crooks into more organised and realistic pursuits. They have to target the average guy due to the fact that large investment companies keep everything in house.

Investing is hard work and if it looks to good to be true then it is.

While it may need to be reported the FSA which is funded by the banks and finance houses will never bite off the hand that feeds them, and would not get involved. Their performance is shocking they take an eternity to make a decision to investigate and then hand out punitive fines, and passes the buck, this is culture that the UK Government encourages. They have no power the financial institutions run the Government.

The UK in the last 20 years has had the attitude that knows one is responsible or accountable for their actions that's why the London Stock exchange has prospered, and everyone invest hear and will continue to find new ways to scam the public out of their hard earned cash.

Money makes the world go around. Don’t let people take it off you, think before you get involved in scams.

Oooh you are having a black Tuesday, aren't you?
Not all investment opportunities are theft. For instance, if you bought shares in a FTSE 100 company you know where you are - regulators and the Stock Exchange rules. Prudential share price is high and does oscillate. It was falling yesterday because they have interests in China and China is doing a wobble right now, threatening to tax foreigners more. Technically the share price will fall in March and go back up by September. I used to make a couple of thou per annum from knowing that but life isn't as predictable as it used to be and I blew the stake money on a new bathroom.
There are scams about right now feeding on this lump sum from pension funds thing. To have Columbian drug barons in on the act as well is out of order.

Pete007 said:
My view is that while people respond to these scams it will continue to fuel these crooks into more organised and realistic pursuits. They have to target the average guy due to the fact that large investment companies keep everything in house.

Investing is hard work and if it looks to good to be true then it is.

While it may need to be reported the FSA which is funded by the banks and finance houses will never bite off the hand that feeds them, and would not get involved. Their performance is shocking they take an eternity to make a decision to investigate and then hand out punitive fines, and passes the buck, this is culture that the UK Government encourages. They have no power the financial institutions run the Government.

The UK in the last 20 years has had the attitude that knows one is responsible or accountable for their actions that's why the London Stock exchange has prospered, and everyone invest hear and will continue to find new ways to scam the public out of their hard earned cash.

Money makes the world go around. Don’t let people take it off you, think before you get involved in scams.