Boiler Room Scams

I also got a contact from them, and I actually do live in Tunbridge Wells! Very pleasnt warm syrup conversation with a gent called Ethan, trying to sell shares in a LSE listed mining co at a below market price due to "a trust fund over allocation". Three calls over several days, I admit I was distracted on other things so didnt do any background. Then the call for cash comes, about £20K wanted, so I wake up and do checking.

Phone number is a VOIP allocated phone and is clearly not a Tunbridge Wells number, website was only registered in November this year (did a simple "whois" search). The site is a cut & paste job from others (http://www.hendersonglobalcarefunds.net/).

The real Henderson Group were most helpful when I called and pointed to their website warning on impersonators. The alleged company did call back to get my email address to send papers through; I declined to confirm and said that I believed that they were a scam and I had reported them appropriately. 100% for bravado as they at first tried to say there had been some misunderstandings, but I said that I would be happy to speak to their external legal advisors if they thought I was wrong.

They never called back, a shame as I was looking forward to the sport.

I see they have redone their website and are now calling themselves Sterling Finance AG and using an address at Rue de Romont 14 CH-1700 Fribourg, Switzerland. This is obviously some sort of virtual office as there are quite a few companies registered there. In total 9 companies registered to this address are in liquidation.

They are still using the same URL from the Henderson scam http://henderson-funds.com but the same website appears at the following URL http://sterlingfinanceag.com/

http://sterlingfinanceag.com/ was registered on 10 October this year in the Seychelles.

Last edited:
I still get calls which I dont pick up everyday. From unknown numbers. Anyway to rid of these? These freaks are damn persistent at becoming a pest to you until
One day your are annoyed and pick up their call.

Sadly they will keep going as it takes little time for them to keep dialling. You could try getting the number blocked/traced by reporting to your service provider, but as they seem use a Voip host I suspect that it may be difficult. However, I found that saying to them in blunt tones that 1) I believed they were a scam, 2) I was reporting them to the FSA and 3) I was reporting them to Operation Archway, has resulted in blissful silence ever since.

I see they have redone their website and are now calling themselves Sterling Finance AG and using an address at Rue de Romont 14 CH-1700 Fribourg, Switzerland. This is obviously some sort of virtual office as there are quite a few companies registered there. In total 9 companies registered to this address are in liquidation.

They are still using the same URL from the Henderson scam http://henderson-funds.com but the same website appears at the following URL http://sterlingfinanceag.com/

http://sterlingfinanceag.com/ was registered on 10 October this year in the Seychelles.

And another one - http://www.newyorkfinanceco.com

Searching the unique text in the original website produces quite a few results (I am beginning to enjoy this too much). This lot seem very busy!

And another one - http://www.newyorkfinanceco.com

Searching the unique text in the original website produces quite a few results (I am beginning to enjoy this too much). This lot seem very busy!

Yes I am a saddo like you! I think Sterling has been about for some time, I am pretty sure I came across them before but I can't find the records. The newyorkfinanceco site is identical! except for the address.

Had further dealings with Henderson(their web site won't open at present?) In order to get the full banking details I went ahead with a trade. They origionally talked about Centimum Egypt but when they phoned with the deal it was for tesco sayig the CEY shares had all gone. I am not doing it of course but now they are threatening me with legal action They want the details of my legal representative. I am still convinced they are a scam but it is scary whe they threaten to put a claim on your house! I thought they would fold but as yet they have not. Their legal man was most indignant when I accussed them of being a scam. We will see what develops tomorrow.

Any body with any relevant input would be very welcome!!

Yes I am a saddo like you! I think Sterling has been about for some time, I am pretty sure I came across them before but I can't find the records. The newyorkfinanceco site is identical! except for the address.

Had further dealings with Henderson(their web site won't open at present?) In order to get the full banking details I went ahead with a trade. They origionally talked about Centimum Egypt but when they phoned with the deal it was for tesco sayig the CEY shares had all gone. I am not doing it of course but now they are threatening me with legal action They want the details of my legal representative. I am still convinced they are a scam but it is scary whe they threaten to put a claim on your house! I thought they would fold but as yet they have not. Their legal man was most indignant when I accussed them of being a scam. We will see what develops tomorrow.

Kenmar,

Remember they are the ones that are breaking the law by cold calling you. In any case even if they were a legitimate business (which they're not) you have a statutory cooling off period for anything related to distance selling.

However I'd just tell them they are a scam and you have reported them to Operation Archway etc. Why don't you offer to send your friend round to their office address to give them your lawyers details and see what excuses you get.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073792577&type=RESOURCES

My curiosity is close to breaking point! What happened next?

My curiosity is close to breaking point! What happened next?

Did you really think a gang of criminals operating a fraud would actually take him to court to try to enforce something that was illegal in the first place?

Did you really think a gang of criminals operating a fraud would actually take him to court to try to enforce something that was illegal in the first place?

Not in the least, but it is interesting to see how long they may have maintained the illusion of pressure before moving on, or if they just stopped calling. I am slightly suprised that they even tried the "legal" route given they were clearly on a hiding to nothing. I doubt that I will ever understand the psyche of the scammer. The perfect result would of course be that they let enough information slip to be useful to Archway et al, but I doubt that they are that daft unfortunately.

I have reported the bank details they gave me to the bank in question. But I do doubt that is the bank they said they are using. Let's see. I'd like to see some of us here take them on like kenmar and LJT

Not in the least, but it is interesting to see how long they may have maintained the illusion of pressure before moving on, or if they just stopped calling. I am slightly suprised that they even tried the "legal" route given they were clearly on a hiding to nothing. I doubt that I will ever understand the psyche of the scammer. The perfect result would of course be that they let enough information slip to be useful to Archway et al, but I doubt that they are that daft unfortunately.

I suppose they have nothing to lose by trying. If one in a hundred fall for it then it's money for nothing. I can imagine elderly people may be more likely to fall for this type of threat.

I have reported the bank details they gave me to the bank in question. But I do doubt that is the bank they said they are using. Let's see. I'd like to see some of us here take them on like kenmar and LJT

Dexter

You should give those details to op archway. They are more likely to make use of them.

I suppose they have nothing to lose by trying. If one in a hundred fall for it then it's money for nothing. I can imagine elderly people may be more likely to fall for this type of threat.

Speaking as an approaching "elderly" at 56 :) - You are 100% right. I have seen first hand the damage this stuff can do and I would dearly love to see some of them in court. I had my id stolen/cloned some years back and used in a 419 type scam including a mock up of my passport! I saw the volume of traffic generated and even got to speak to someone who had taken the scammer's bait, non-uk but pensioner age on a fixed income looking to generate some small increases, a different scam approach, but I would cheerfully lump them all in the same prison.

They say 56 is the new 46 you know so don't dispair. Some of these crooks do get caught it's just that it doesn't always make the news unless there is an interesting angle to the story. I think the last one that made the uk press was the WW2 pilot who had been scammed by a couple of chavs in a boiler room in Spain. Have a read of the streetsweeper and you'll see plenty of people going to prison for these type of scams

http://thestreetsweeper.org/

Speaking as an approaching "elderly" at 56 :) - You are 100% right. I have seen first hand the damage this stuff can do and I would dearly love to see some of them in court. I had my id stolen/cloned some years back and used in a 419 type scam including a mock up of my passport! I saw the volume of traffic generated and even got to speak to someone who had taken the scammer's bait, non-uk but pensioner age on a fixed income looking to generate some small increases, a different scam approach, but I would cheerfully lump them all in the same prison.

What does get my goat is when people start considering me elderly! I am 78 and you 56? I'm old enough to be your dad! Cold callers or any of those will have a hard job getting me to part with money, I'll tell you that!

I don't know how people go adventuring around the internet looking for bargains. I'm with NW Brokers and do not have an online bank. Neither do I ever pass credit card details over the internet.

I have a boring life? Don't you believe it.

BTW, when they threaten you with legal proceedings, let them make the first move. That means a solicitors's letter. When you get one of those it means business so that is when you get a lawyer for yourself. Not before, though. They cost a fortune nowadays.

What does get my goat is when people start considering me elderly! I am 78 and you 56? I'm old enough to be your dad! Cold callers or any of those will have a hard job getting me to part with money, I'll tell you that!

I don't know how people go adventuring around the internet looking for bargains. I'm with NW Brokers and do not have an online bank. Neither do I ever pass credit card details over the internet.

I have a boring life? Don't you believe it.

BTW, when they threaten you with legal proceedings, let them make the first move. That means a solicitors's letter. When you get one of those it means business so that is when you get a lawyer for yourself. Not before, though. They cost a fortune nowadays.

Splitlink, no offence implied by my comments.

You make an excellent point as well; many forget that as they trawl the internet they leave a vast amount of data out there that is easy pickings for the unscrupulous. When my data got "cloned" it was taken from public records from Companies House and my then employer's website. I have seen first hand how easy it is to assemble data on people from fairly simple search techniques, and I have developed a healthy degree of digital paranoia as a result!

We would never give out in the physical world the data we give out so freely in the digital realm. A thought for all who travel digitally perhaps.

Splitlink, no offence implied by my comments.

You make an excellent point as well; many forget that as they trawl the internet they leave a vast amount of data out there that is easy pickings for the unscrupulous. When my data got "cloned" it was taken from public records from Companies House and my then employer's website. I have seen first hand how easy it is to assemble data on people from fairly simple search techniques, and I have developed a healthy degree of digital paranoia as a result!

We would never give out in the physical world the data we give out so freely in the digital realm. A thought for all who travel digitally perhaps.

Offence? The thought never crossed my mind.

If my thoughts have been of service, I'm pleased.

Sorry for delay on update.
Much to my surprise I have had no further contact with them. After the barrage in that phone call from their legal department, & promise to phone me again for my legal details, I have heard no more. I must say that even though I knew all along that it was a scam, even though I have been in many scuffles with these types in the past, I was really rattled! I spent the entire evening going through my research again, to be honest the clincher was the messed up copied website, the only hard and fast evidence of the scam. I can certainly understand why people cave in & pay the ransom!! They are extremely intimidating and very convincing. I am also 58( going on 28!) and I have every sympathy for anyone older who gets entangled with these characters.

What amazes me is how there are so many of these people about and how they sleep at night!

My advice to anyone is simple. Either
a/ hang up immediately
b/ get a name, a company name, website, and the share they are offering, then hang up.
Don't put yourself through the stress of accepting any offer over the phone. You will know straight away that they are fakes by their reaction!
Forward this directly to the Police, either Operation Archway or your local headquarters.
I reported these guys to Kent Police and am in the process of contacting Archway.

I am sorry to say that I think the FSA is a bit slow. Contacting them is not easy, their response time is no use in a situation like this. The fact that they have this company registered with a false postcode is a basic error. The fact that they are not at the address published is scandalous. If I can find this out in moments so could they. (Admittedly there is some sculduggery involved in this case as there was a company set up by legitimate Henderson called Henderson Global Care Funds.)
May I say that I am most grateful for all your support, guys. As I said the messed up web site was the clincher to hold my ground, that and the fact that I couldn't afford to pay up!

Keep up the good work.

Sorry for delay on update.
Much to my surprise I have had no further contact with them. After the barrage in that phone call from their legal department, & promise to phone me again for my legal details, I have heard no more. I must say that even though I knew all along that it was a scam, even though I have been in many scuffles with these types in the past, I was really rattled! I spent the entire evening going through my research again, to be honest the clincher was the messed up copied website, the only hard and fast evidence of the scam. I can certainly understand why people cave in & pay the ransom!! They are extremely intimidating and very convincing. I am also 58( going on 28!) and I have every sympathy for anyone older who gets entangled with these characters.

What amazes me is how there are so many of these people about and how they sleep at night!

My advice to anyone is simple. Either
a/ hang up immediately
b/ get a name, a company name, website, and the share they are offering, then hang up.
Don't put yourself through the stress of accepting any offer over the phone. You will know straight away that they are fakes by their reaction!
Forward this directly to the Police, either Operation Archway or your local headquarters.
I reported these guys to Kent Police and am in the process of contacting Archway.

I am sorry to say that I think the FSA is a bit slow. Contacting them is not easy, their response time is no use in a situation like this. The fact that they have this company registered with a false postcode is a basic error. The fact that they are not at the address published is scandalous. If I can find this out in moments so could they. (Admittedly there is some sculduggery involved in this case as there was a company set up by legitimate Henderson called Henderson Global Care Funds.)
May I say that I am most grateful for all your support, guys. As I said the messed up web site was the clincher to hold my ground, that and the fact that I couldn't afford to pay up!

Keep up the good work.

Don't forget. If they call up for details, don't give them anything. Let them find out for themselves.

Operation Archway operates in the UK? If I am outside the UK and receive calls, will they entertain? My local authority doesn't seem to bother.