Boiler Room Scams

This sounds like an opportunity to open an office in the UK. The problem for clients trading in another country is you have absolutely no recourse. It is impossible for legal action. Clients have to take on the risk for stocks and when they hit a boiler room fraud, and loose 100%, there goes all their trading profits for the next five years to ten years. There would be more profit in putting your money in the bank, and we all know how little that is. So, when you get a phone call to send your money to the US, Panama, Hong Kong, Zurich or anywhere outside your country, yes it is 100% risk and 100% gone once you send it, never to see it again. I will echo this again, You have to know who you are dealing with and do your research. Even that is no gaurantee.

The SEC is a liitle lax in upholding regulations, hence the lack of the confidence in the US. Some brokers get fooled to pushing boiler room shell companies.

In terms of your statement "It is impossible for legal action.", I do fully disagree. However your statement on the length of time for recourse is spot on. Legal actions from overseas proves more difficult as in the U.S. all persons involved in legal action have the right to face their accuser. Many investors find it a nuisance to travel overseas for multiple court dates.

As I would never recommend an investor/client to work with a broker that is not registered within that brokers jurisdiction. Brokers in the states must hold U.S. registrations. There are multiple things that people who invest need to know when dealing with a broker regardless of that brokers location. The assets transferred is the most questionable. Seriously, what would incline anyone, anywhere, to send funds to a broker that is in the Caribbean yet the assets are held in Hong Kong? If your adviser is in the U.S. then your assets should be transferred to a U.S. bank. These banks that hold clients funds are clearing firms or clearing houses. Some general securities firms hold their clients assets, and are mostly market makers. Many broker/dealers however are agency firms where the clients assets are held at a separate, fully disclosed clearing firm.

There is a ton of information that investors should look into prior to opening a new trading account with a broker. If you ask a broker these questions, and they begin stuttering and avoiding the questions, seek someone else.

From .... THOMAS MOORE GLOBAL

Dear Mr...................

Our recommendation is 47,500 Harvest Energy Trust shares at a price of
$7.09 per share should you wish to proceed the total amount due will be
$340,142.75

Please be advised that the trade confirmation allocating the share
purchase and the payment instructions have been duly attached. The
documents included are the: Trade Confirmation and Payment Instructions.

Please find the provided link below for your perusal:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=HTE

I trust all the above will meet with your requirements. Please sign and
date the trade confirmation and send it back to me by either fax or
email immediately.

Sincerely,

Dr. Mike Stevens
[email protected]

THOMAS MOORE GLOBAL

The following email was received from TMG suggesting that they will resolve the situation within 3 days.

My first instinct is that it is another stage of the scam.

My second instinct was to call their bluff using an escrow account.

See email below, (copied word for word inc grammatical errors), received from Thomas Moore Global, Tokyo.

Dear .........

Required block of HTE is 500,000 @ $7.09 = $3,545,000
The minimum block to be considered for payout on the takeover of HTE is 500,000 shares. Leaving a balance of 190,000 shares of HTE @ $7.09 = $1,347,100. Price per share of HTE after takeover is $11.49. Giving us a total value $5,745,000. Leaving a balance from that. Funds needed to secure 190,000 shares to complete the 500,000 share block minimum @ 7.09 would be $1,347,100.
$1,147,100.0 - Guaranteed by Thomas Moore Global
$200,000 - amount due

Pay out to client 500,000 shares block @ $11.49 = $5,745,000.00. Less $1,147,100.
Amount due to client = $4,597,900.00 PLUS Client fund - $200,000
Amount due to client - $4,797,900

Upon receipt of wire transfer or TT that the client has transferred the amount of $200,000. Thomas Moore Global will reciprocate with a wire transfer to client in the amount of $4,797,900

NOTE: Thomas Mooore Global is ready, willing and able to issue transfer of funds due to the clients upon receipt of proof of wire transfer in the amount $200,000

Once the amount of $4,797,900 are received by clients bank, it is agreed by both Thomas Moore Global and client ......... that this transaction has ended and no further responsibility, liability or action need be taken by either party for this transaction. It is considered therefore complete.

Signed by .... EZRA COHEN ... VICE PRESIDENT OF ALLOCATION
and ... PETER WITHMAN ... CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER

Did well before the crash, averaged 16% net overall for the year, with 7.25% in commission to me (meaning the gross average return was 23.25%). Only an average, some performed better, some not as good.

With some clients we held through the crash, others panic sold. On average I would say the crash took roughly 60% in total losses. Those who held are back in profit of 40%. Keep in mind, any person could have thrown a dart last year and picked a postion that doubled.

The market crash did a lot of damage to a lot of my clients. I made a common mistake of not implementing the proper hedging strategies as at the time I felt the holdings did not need them. That mistake I will not make again obviously, after all I am still flesh and blood.

How/where are you getting a 7.25% commission?

List of unauthorised overseas firms operating in the UK (as supplied by the FSA).....

Ainsley Consulting SL (now known as Mercier International Group)

Alexander Rothko Associates*

Amherst International

Anderson Fitzpatrick (Switzerland) AG

Argus Global Equities Limited

B A Gelman

Bagnestone

BenjaminFisher SL

Berkley Murray Securities

Berkshire Tax Consultants

Black & White Investments

Boska Settlement Corporation

Bradley Chen & Associates

Braun & Bridgewater Corporation (aka BBGC Corporation)

Breakthrough Venture Partners

Breslan Aliied Limited

Cambridge Global Inc

Capital One Management Inc

Carlton Birtal Advisory Services SL

Carter James SL

Chamberlin Management Inc

Chapman Foster Group SL

Chicago Board of Acquisitions Inc

* Clarington Group (The)

Clarkson Gordon Ltd

Clifton Financial Services

Cohen Edwards Asset Management

Collins Tate & Murchison

Condor Research

Crandale Group

Creston & Childs

Douglas St James

Dunhill Capital

E1 Asset Management

Edward Tate

Elliot Price & Associates

Equity Research Group

Eurotraders

Everest 1 Inc.

Fairchild Roth Financial Inc

Fernvale Associates

Fielding Clifford

First Chartered Capital Corp / First Colonial Trust

First International Equity & Acquisitions Inc

Franklin Asset Management (aka Jefferson Management)

Fraser Hunt Levine

Fridman, Koch and Saul (aka Cambridge Global and Amhers International)

Globeshare

Godwynn International

Goldberg Kravitz (now known as Union Partners SL)

Goodman Management Associates

GS Anguilla

Harrington Advisory Services/Harrington Advisory,SL

Hamilton Asset Management

Handel Ross Advisory

Hannover Markka Capital

Hargill & Black Associates

Harper Mills and Paige Inc

Harrop, Lees, Brown & Co

Henderson Young

Hoffman Philips SL

Hopkins, Pierce & Co Limited

Hyda Florsbanc

International Business Advisors

International Options Trading (PTY) Ltd*

ITB Group

Jackson Cole Investments

Jacob Stern

Jefferson Management (aka Franklin Asset Management)

K P Allen

Kammer, Stuartt Reed

Kerona Trading Ltd

Kline Management Group

Kobe Securities International

Liberty Assets inc

Liberty First Financial Services

Liberty One Advisors LLC*

Livingstone Asset Management

Lombard Grand Inc

Lox International Group

Market Access Group

Maxwell Fleming & Associates

McKenzie Goldstein & Associates*

McKenzie King Ltd

Mercantilebanc Securities Inc

Mercier Interantional Group (aka Ainsley Consulting SL) / Mercier asset Management Inc

Millennium Financial Ltd

Miller Bosses Acquisitions INC.

Morgan Young Financial Consultants

Morrison Cross Financial Investments Ltd

Nationwide Mergers and Acquisitions

Network Capital Partners

Nivo Invest and Trade Corp

Norwich Capital Mutual Funds Limited

Oceanic Equities

Pacific Federal SA

Pan European Investment Management

Pan Pacific Financial

Parker Lane

Parker Rowe

Perlman-Haas Associates

Phoenix Asset Management SA

Phoenix Partners SL

Platinum Asset Management (pty) Ltd

Platinum Placements Management

Premier Equities Limited

Premium Placement

Price Stone

Prime Forestry

Reichman Advisory SL

Rementon & Fitzgerald

Richard Watson Associates

Richmond International

Richmond Royce Advisory Services S.L.U.

RJL International Limited

Royal Asset Management of Canada

Schoefer Davis Limited

Smith Fairchild

SpencerFerguson Financial Services/SpencerFerguson Wealth Management

Stanfield Moritz Associates

Stanley Riebeck Corporation

Stein Banc Commerce

Sukumo Group

Tana Corum Holdings

Thibault Capital Markets

Thompson Weinberg

Tresaderns & Partners SL

Trident Market Advisors

Trillium Drake

Union Partners SL (formerly Goldberg Kravitz SL)

US Capital FX*

Van der Halen Equities

Wakeford & Goodridge

Walker Stone

Waterhouse Scott Ltd

Webster, Cohen & Galombik Inc

West Shore Ventures Limited

Willmont Financial SL

Windsor Asset Management

World Market Resources

World Trade Financial Corporation

Yee Seng Global

Ive just had one try it on with me selfridge perkins group. please add it to your list.

Yup, nothing ever changes. Now it is "Hang Seng Financial" trying to push pre-IPO shares in BioDefense Corporation at £3 each prior to an AIM listing in "a few months time". Thank-you to all posters of information and opinions on BioDefense who have scared me off from investing. I have not found any published annual accounts from BioDefense (although they are apparently available from American equivalent of Companies House for a small fee) and, without wishing to appear sceptical, personally feel it may well be a scam and steering clear is my best option.
Anybody who cold calls, talks for ages and tries to sell shares in a non-listed, therefore not easily tradeable stock must raise suspicions. When person who is telephoning behaves in typical boiler room fashion my suspicions are further raised.
Story given may be true, but I am suspicious of a company that was going to list, according to previous cold calling operations that were in part boiler rooms (or similar), in 2007, 2008, 2009 and now 2010!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi the above discussion is interesting but I've just been ripped off by a Boiler Room setup called 'Britannia Swiss Equities'. They sold me shares in a 'dodgy' company called 'BioDefense Corporation' in Boston. The Swiss people appeared legitimate (they had a website and gave an address in Zurich with a telephone number) but I indulged in several trades as they kept convincing me there was a sure fire profit. In my early trades at least I got some shares (probably worthless I now know) but I stupidly sent money for the last trade (£33,500.00) direct to a bank in Cyprus and heard no more about it - it was supposed to give a good deal on the dollar exchange. I see now their website has totally changed and shows a smiling girl instead of a more normal bank logo so presumably they have absconded with my money.
What I want to know is does anyone know this company and been ripped off by them? I assume the company has ripped off BioDefense Corp as well as they've kept the money instead of sharing it with them. Also is there any authority or body that might be worth approaching who could be useful to bring these people to justice or will they go on doing this for ever with impunity (FSA say they can't do much as it's outside the UK)?

BioDefense as of early May 2010 being pushed in the UK by "Hang Seng Financial" trying to get £3 per share in a pre-IPO offer, the IPO being on AIM in a few months time, according to the story. Hey, story maybe right. Given all postings on this subject here, it would appear to me that usual rules apply: never accept any cold-calls, no matter what the story. Keep up the good work of warning potentially gullible people about these scams or potential scams.

In terms of your statement "It is impossible for legal action.", I do fully disagree. However your statement on the length of time for recourse is spot on. Legal actions from overseas proves more difficult as in the U.S. all persons involved in legal action have the right to face their accuser. Many investors find it a nuisance to travel overseas for multiple court dates.

As I would never recommend an investor/client to work with a broker that is not registered within that brokers jurisdiction. Brokers in the states must hold U.S. registrations. There are multiple things that people who invest need to know when dealing with a broker regardless of that brokers location. The assets transferred is the most questionable. Seriously, what would incline anyone, anywhere, to send funds to a broker that is in the Caribbean yet the assets are held in Hong Kong? If your adviser is in the U.S. then your assets should be transferred to a U.S. bank. These banks that hold clients funds are clearing firms or clearing houses. Some general securities firms hold their clients assets, and are mostly market makers. Many broker/dealers however are agency firms where the clients assets are held at a separate, fully disclosed clearing firm.

There is a ton of information that investors should look into prior to opening a new trading account with a broker. If you ask a broker these questions, and they begin stuttering and avoiding the questions, seek someone else.

Yes, it is possible for legal action. It is always possible for legal action antwhere, any time, and you may even win the battle but you lose the war. You would have to hire lawyers in another country and then again possibly in many more countries where the money travels. That would be impossible in some countries as you would hit roadblocks. Then you would have to look at the many trips by plane and the lost time. Another factor in foreign countries, is the police do not look at anything too seriously that is under one million US. Personally I would not give one cent to any cold caller, let alone a million.

I believe that someone almost lost money in the US about six months ago. Here it is:http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-resources/23591-boiler-room-4.html#post977966.

qoute:
This company calls itself the ASPEN MANAGEMENTGROUP INC. e-mail [email protected] The bank given is the Chase Manhatten,
end of qoute

any more details on Selfridge Perkins Group? Did they give you a website or address

The website is http://www.selfridgeperkinsgroup.com and has only been registered since 17th July 2009 even though there website says they have been operating since 98. The chaps name who was trying to scam me was Oliver Stewart, which is probley not his real name. They said i needed to register with them by buying S regulation shares in "Nadir energy and mining corp". $3000 worth. I mean worthless

They are located in Dubia. I have reported them to the DFSA with all the details I have. Which isnt much as he was very reluctant to give me any.

There phone number is 0870 8200029 which then redirected to them.

He was very pushy and got the **** on when i challenge him regarding him been a boiler room saying it was slander etc etc.

I was called again today and i got him to take me off there contacts but a warning to all dont trust them how ever genuine they might sound.

WWW.SELFRIDGEPERKINSGROUP.COM IS A BOILER ROOM​

Why cant more be done to stop these people. they ruin lifes by there scamming. :mad:

Yup, nothing ever changes. Now it is "Hang Seng Financial" trying to push pre-IPO shares in BioDefense Corporation at £3 each prior to an AIM listing in "a few months time". Thank-you to all posters of information and opinions on BioDefense who have scared me off from investing. I have not found any published reports from BioDefense and, without wishing to appear sceptical, feel it may well be a scam and steering clear is the best option.
Anybody who cold calls, talks for ages and tries to sell shares in a non-listed, therefore not easily tradeable stock must raise suspicions.
Story given may be true, but I am suspicious of a company that was going to list in 2007, 2008, 2009 and now 2010!

Well done for avoiding their scam Biodefense Corp is a long running scam.

any more details on Selfridge Perkins Group? Did they give you a website or address

The website is http://www.selfridgeperkinsgroup.com and has only been registered since 17th July 2009 even though there website says they have been operating since 98. The chaps name who was trying to scam me was Oliver Stewart, which is probley not his real name. They said i needed to register with them by buying S regulation shares in "Nadir energy and mining corp". $3000 worth. I mean worthless

They are located in Dubia. I have reported them to the DFSA with all the details I have. Which isnt much as he was very reluctant to give me any.

There phone number is 0870 8200029 which then redirected to them.

He was very pushy and got the **** on when i challenge him regarding him been a boiler room saying it was slander etc etc.

I was called again today and i got him to take me off there contacts but a warning to all dont trust them how ever genuine they might sound.

WWW.SELFRIDGEPERKINSGROUP.COM IS A BOILER ROOM​

Why cant more be done to stop these people. they ruin lifes by there scamming. :mad:

I wish there was. These scum are greedy parasites and are absolutely no good to this world. I tried to expalin above that they operate out of different countries with a different sets of legalities. The problem is the judicial system is often drawn out over time to make a prosecition. They are can easily pack their bags before a case can conclude or even get started. In some countries they can pay for protection and other countries you will hit roadblocks as not all judicial systems are the same. The best way to slow them down is to do what some of the posters are doing on here. Post the info here and report them to the proper authorities. One way to stop them would be identifing all people to their passports who have acces to the internet. This way they can be blocked when they abuse their privledges and they could be tracked.

Thanks for the info. What you have descrbed sounds like the same group as Biodefence and Biodiesel.

I wish there was. These scum are greedy parasites and are absolutely no good to this world. I tried to expalin above that they operate out of different countries with a different sets of legalities. The problem is the judicial system is often drawn out over time to make a prosecition. They are can easily pack their bags before a case can conclude or even get started. In some countries they can pay for protection and other countries you will hit roadblocks as not all judicial systems are the same. The best way to slow them down is to do what some of the posters are doing on here. Post the info here and report them to the proper authorities. One way to stop them would be identifing all people to their passports who have acces to the internet. This way they can be blocked when they abuse their privledges and they could be tracked.

Thanks for the info. What you have descrbed sounds like the same group as Biodefence and Biodiesel.

They don't get away with it forever though, plenty have been caught. The guy from Investorshub.com is looking at up to 20 years in jail for his part in a pump and dump scam.

HTML:
They don't get away with it forever though, plenty have been caught. The guy from Investorshub.com is looking at up to 20 years in jail for his part in a pump and dump scam.

The problem is the sentences are not tough enough. They need at least 20 years (not reduced to 6 months or pardoned) so they can remember where they are hiding the stolen money. Light sentences only encourage more of them and they brag that scamming is worth it. They are proffesional liers and of course very good actors. When they are before a judge, they always claim they have no money and are ill. They hire others to do their dirty work so they don't get caught. An example is this slippery one http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byheadline/01/396+Cold-caller+convicted?openDocument. TONY HETHERINGTON, July 20, 2008, http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/o...rticle_id=447688&in_page_id=19&in_author_id=5 in his The update files, writes "He was arrested in Australia in 2001, where he claimed to be terminally ill, eking out a living by teaching English in Thailand. He was given a suspended jail sentence for fraud." After the sentence, he returned to Thailand and continued scamming. He is pushing the bio scams.

No shortage of new boiler room on the FSA warning list, must be 20 since I last looked at it about a week ago. Marshall Browning is one that rings a bell but I cant find it mentioned on T2W.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Law/Alerts/overseas.shtml

Marshall Browning was one of mine. Spoke to FSA at the time. If the name's only just appeared on the warning list they're not exactly quick off the mark. Guess they have to do their research properly. That's why I prefer to post here as well.

No shortage of new boiler room on the FSA warning list, must be 20 since I last looked at it about a week ago. Marshall Browning is one that rings a bell but I cant find it mentioned on T2W.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Law/Alerts/overseas.shtml
My conversation with a very pleasant lady at the FSA is one I won't forget in a hurry. After answering an astonishingly long list of questions and giving her Marshall Brownings web address (4 times !) she attempted to get their site up on her screen. After trying several times without success and asking me to confirm what I had said she finally decided that her computer may be blocking her access as the site was......SUSPICIOUS ! I was looking at the site on my screen while I was speaking to her. Duh, pardon me, but isn't part of your brief to look at suspicious sites. If I hadn't laughed I may well have cried.