Boiler Room Scams

Hi Guys - sorry, don't have time to introduce myself - just wanted to get this information "live" and out there asap.

Sanderson Group is definitely a scam. I have been phoned since Jan by a guy called Simon from Sanderson Group who recommended Chesapeake, Hecla Mining and most recently Nike. I very nearly lost £12K on this but something told me to check it out very deeply. Good job I did. They seem very convincing partly because you dont pay them the money for shares - you pay an "escrow company" called B Gold International LLC (which on checking doesn't seem to exist). No doubt B Gold is run by the same scammers.

Once I did check this lot out I found that the domain sanderson-group.com was only registered in Jan 2010 to some French guy (despite "Simon" claiming that the company had been going for 30 years!). The Sanderson Group office is suppoesdly in Frankfurt, but when you ring the phone number for the office you get some voicemail message in Spanish! I can find no record anywhere for B Gold International LLC.

Once I agreed to buy the Nike shares (yes I was that close) "Simon" passed me on to an Irish guy called James. When I confronted James with my suspicions he promised to check them out and get back to me - which of course he didn't.

Be warned, these guys are very convincing - I was nearly fooled and I consider myself to be "unfoolable"! Hope this message helps to prevent others falling for this.

Good job on not getting caught out. Chesapeake and Hecla Mining have definitely been mentioned before in the context of boiler room scams. Never heard of B Gold International LLC but youre right to assume they are part of the same scam.

I have been contacted by this company too. I brought some shares in TLAG and now they want me to buy shares in DANR before selling the others at a larger than market price. 25% times larger. There reasn for this is the person wants controllin share so he will pay more to buy lots in one go from all this companys clients. I think ive been done too.
Hi Thread
I have been dealing with a company called Equity Research Partners & Associates (ERP & Associates) in Zurich Switzerland. I have bought shares in a few different companies and one of them is Dana Resources (DANR). Even though today I received a Share Certificate for DANR but I still feel I have been scamed. I would like to make contact with you, my email address is: [email protected] So if you get this reply please contact me.
Regards Ger.

They are mentioned elsewhere on this thread, you can private message people through this site if you feel its worthwhile. Just click on their username and then click on 'send a private message to XXX'.

Its also beneficial to post as many details here as possible, the more details there are here the more chance someone else can find out about these scams before they lose money. For instance if you perhaps posted the names of all the shares you bought plus the names of any transfer agents or escrow companies that were involved then it helps to spread the word.

Been receiving calls recently from a firm called "Zurich Direct" - looks suspicious and their emails originate from Barcelona (according to IP addresses in the email headers). So a warning to anyone else receiving calls. I filled in the FSA suspicious firm report http://www.fsa.gov.uk/Pages/Doing/Regulated/Law/Alerts/form.shtml I don't know if that does any good.

Did they have a website? I think thats also the name of a reputable company, insurance industry I think.

Re: Phoenix Capital Partners

Tell us more
How detailed would you like? Full story would take many posts. Very briefly...
First dealt with them in 2004 following recommendation from a long time friend who invests all the time. Naively invested in the company Technology Assets (TNGA) who were running a Ukrainian Brick Mill. Sent money to K R Margetson in Canada. Was introduced to Jody Consulting who 'worked closely' with Phoenix. Was offered many other shares such as EMI, KATY, YASHENG, HUMLOG and ANGLO SWISS.
2005 -Was contacted by Cross Border Arbitrage about selling out of TNGA. Never happened.
2006 - Phoenix admited Saxena link but insisted that they had been done as much as the shareholder. Heard from TNGA CEO Jim Brown based in the Ukraine. Researched him and spoke to him (a number of times) and seemed above board. Promised that my investment would be honoured. Instructed by Jim Briown, I wrote to Candian mounted police and sent all details about the 'fraud'. No response.
2007 - Phoenix 'swap' me (for free) into PHX Holdings as long as I make a small investment in Texas Holdings (TXHG). Researched this and seemed OK. Wrong! Jim Brown again assures me that TNGA investment will be honoured.
2008 - PHX swap is not 'free'. My contact at Phoenix 'moves' to company Specialized Risk Solutions is still in the same building. Offered other investments through Phoenix associates Global Micro Cap supposedly in UK. My research draws a blank.
PHX are linked with Laipac Africa and huge amounts of data start coming though.
2009 - Promised dividends never arrive. Asked for money to help 'activate' PHX holdings - ignored. Asking becomes demanding. Ignored. Jim Brown is still going but has started building recycling plants.
2010 - Offer of $0.32 per share arrives today.
If any one is interested in the detail then let me know,

Re: Phoenix Capital Partners

How detailed would you like? Full story would take many posts. Very briefly...
First dealt with them in 2004 following recommendation from a long time friend who invests all the time. Naively invested in the company Technology Assets (TNGA) who were running a Ukrainian Brick Mill. Sent money to K R Margetson in Canada. Was introduced to Jody Consulting who 'worked closely' with Phoenix. Was offered many other shares such as EMI, KATY, YASHENG, HUMLOG and ANGLO SWISS.
2005 -Was contacted by Cross Border Arbitrage about selling out of TNGA. Never happened.
2006 - Phoenix admited Saxena link but insisted that they had been done as much as the shareholder. Heard from TNGA CEO Jim Brown based in the Ukraine. Researched him and spoke to him (a number of times) and seemed above board. Promised that my investment would be honoured. Instructed by Jim Briown, I wrote to Candian mounted police and sent all details about the 'fraud'. No response.
2007 - Phoenix 'swap' me (for free) into PHX Holdings as long as I make a small investment in Texas Holdings (TXHG). Researched this and seemed OK. Wrong! Jim Brown again assures me that TNGA investment will be honoured.
2008 - PHX swap is not 'free'. My contact at Phoenix 'moves' to company Specialized Risk Solutions is still in the same building. Offered other investments through Phoenix associates Global Micro Cap supposedly in UK. My research draws a blank.
PHX are linked with Laipac Africa and huge amounts of data start coming though.
2009 - Promised dividends never arrive. Asked for money to help 'activate' PHX holdings - ignored. Asking becomes demanding. Ignored. Jim Brown is still going but has started building recycling plants.
2010 - Offer of $0.32 per share arrives today.
If any one is interested in the detail then let me know,

Was that Yasheng Ecotrade by any chance?

thanks for your words of wisdom Experienced-it-all. shame i didn't hear them prior to me getting into buying restricted shares in the first place.
but, Letting completly go of them would indeed be a real shame. i am just trying to share my experience with Equity Research Partners now Financial Reaearch Partners, and if there is a way of of not losing the shares completly.
i have contacted the the transfert agent listed on the share certificate. they were very helpful.
here is what is needed to unrestrict the share (from the email i have received back from them):
"
Thank you for your request. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Meanwhile, we would require the following documents for the Legend Removal Only pursuant to Rule 144 (Please see Rule 144 Guide):

Original Certificate
Legal Opinion Letter (from legal counsel of the company, or any SEC authorized legal council) *
Seller’s Representation Letter
Original Stock Power with Medallion Guaranteed Signature (A Stock Power may be used in lieu of a Medallion Guaranteed Signature on the back of the Original Certificate. Either is acceptable to complete a transfer) –if it is a transfer (then 5 and 6 apply)
Instructions for transfer
Names, Addresses, and Social Security Numbers of each new Shareholder, phone #, email (if any).
Mailing Instructions

8. Applicable Fees as follows:

- $50.00 to remove the restriction and issue new certificate

- $1.00 to cancel old certificate

- $45.00 for FedEx Priority Overnight or pre-paid way bill by any Courier Service provided by you.
"
the opinion letter can be asked from the company issuing the shares.... i will try that route and let you know of my findings

i thought i would share this with you all i have some worthless stock in RSOU or RYLP as the were formally known and a company called Madden Inc have been trying to scam me with the old advanced fee game that these frudsters try so i sent a mail to the SEC there responce is below

HO::~00024301~::HO

Dear

Thank you for your e-mail to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in regard to Madden Group Inc. (MGI [http://www.maddengroupinc.com/]), Select American Transfer Co. (http://selectatc.com/), and their solicitation to buy your non-performing shares in Regal Resources, Inc. (OTC: RSOU [formerly known as Royal Petroleum Corp. (OTC: RYLP)]), in return for a so-called insurance indemnity bond or the like to be paid in advance by you.

A colleague forwarded your e-mail to me to provide you with a detailed report. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner with a written acknowledgement.

Review of pertinent databases indicates that no such entity as Madden Group Inc. is registered with the SEC. Please note that any time you undertake to give money to a "purported investment firm," you should make a determination about its regulatory status. Brokerage firms and transfer agents [TAs], for example, have to be registered with the securities regulatory authorities to do business in the United States. This is the same requirement for most other countries if the firm wishes to do business in that particular country.

Despite the alleged Buffalo, New York address for Madden Group Inc., it is unlikely this entity is located in the USA. Given modern telecommunications technology, telephone call forwarding to offshore listings poses no obstacle to fraudsters. In this connection, please see our online publication, "Fake Seals and Phony Numbers: How Fraudsters Try to Look Legit" [http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/fakeseals.htm].

For your further information, the Select American Transfer Co. (http://selectatc.com/) that has contacted you is an impersonator of the genuine but defunct Select American Transfer Co. Again, you are dealing with an impersonator of the genuine entity.

Fraudsters regularly troll WebCRD (Central Registration Depository [operated by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), to which all broker-dealers and licensed registered representatives must belong]) and the SEC's website for expired or defunct entity names or the names of fully active firms, which they often appropriate in some altered form so as to suggest a connection between their fraudulent name and the name of a genuine firm, where no such connection in fact exists.

In this connection, please see FINRA's alert on financial scams targeting non-U.S. investors, "Well-Traveled Fraud—Advance-Fee Scams Target Non-U.S. Investors Using Fake Regulator Web Sites and False Broker Identities" (http://www.finra.org/InvestorInform...rWebSitesandFalseBrokerIdentities/index.htm); and the press release issued in 12/03 by the Securities Investor Protection Corporation on brokerage identity theft scams targeting investors (http://www.sipc.org/media/release11dec03.cfm).

Indeed, the pseudo-Select American Transfer Co. is playing upon the likeness of its name to the genuine Select American Transfer Co., so as to confuse unsuspecting prospective investors. This is a not uncommon type of "mirror" fraud.

What the solicitation you received may be leading up to is a classic type of reload scam/fraud, against which we especially warn investors to be on guard (see our online publication, "Worthless Stock: How to Avoid Doubling Your Losses" [http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/worthless.htm]). The types of transactions alluded to by you are not part of normal sales practices in the stockbrokerage business. Rather, they are most likely variations upon an advance fee fraud (see: http://www.sec.gov/answers/foreignalert.htm). As always, check with securities regulators about any investment offering made to you to see if it is legitimate.

It may very well be that the same or connected fraudsters have exchanged your name and investment information and in fact are attempting to make a new run at you. It is possible that the new entity soliciting you (Madden Group Inc.) somehow is also connected to, or a successor entity to, your original brokers for your previous purchases (who were they?).

Were there escrow agents for your share purchases? If so, who? Do you have bank payment instructions? If so, please provide copies of same.

Incidentally, the fee to remove a restrictive legend, if there is any fee at all, is utterly nominal (typically under US $100.00 for ALL your shares). Again, the fee, if there is any, is a nominal processing charge, and it goes to the issuer's transfer agent, NOT the SEC. Investors do NOT pay fees to the USSEC to have a restrictive legend removed from their shares.

As you may know, the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) has put out a consumer alert advising consumers not to conduct business with certain "overseas share salespeople." This list is available from its website at http://www.fido.asic.gov.au/fido/fido.nsf/byheadline/Cold-calling-blacklist-C?openDocument. (Similarly, the New Zealand Securities Commission [http://www.sec-com.govt.nz/invest/overseas-brokers1.shtml].) In addition, you may want to read the ASIC's news alert entitled, "Cold calling and phone scams and how to avoid them," which is available online at: http://www.fido.asic.gov.au/fido/fido.nsf/byheadline/Cold-calling?openDocument. Lastly, you may want to review our Foreign Investor Alert, which is available on the SEC's website at: http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/fleecing.htm.

Investors in a situation similar to yours should avoid purchasing anything over the telephone from unknown entities. Please bear in mind that once fraudsters have gotten hold of your contact and account/investment information, they will make repeated attacks upon you, in different guise to be sure, but with the hope of relieving you of additional funds should you prove unwary even for an instant. Again, perhaps the best offense is a good defense: 1) investors should AVOID PURCHASING ANYTHING OVER THE TELEPHONE FROM UNKNOWN ENTITIES; 2) as ALWAYS, investors should check with securities regulators about any investment offering made to them to see if it is legitimate.

I hope this information proves helpful to you. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. You did the right thing to check. Indeed, please feel free to check directly with me at any time via the contact info. provided.

Sincerely,

Jim Daly
U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission
Office of Investor Education and Advocacy
100 F Street, NE
Washington, DC 20549-0213
(202) 551-6340, (202) 772-9295 (fax)
[email protected]

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 5:26 PM
To: TradingAndMarkets
Subject: Select American Transfer Co Registration Number: 084-06152

Dear Sir

I have been contacted by a company called Madden Group Inc a financial
advisory services company that would like to buy some shares I hold in a
company called regal resources (ROSU formally RYLP) they have put me in
touch with a escrow agent called Select American Transfer Co they have
SEC Registration Number: 084-06152 and
CIK Number: 0001324472 although I have searched on your site and Finra s
site I cannot find their registration please could you advise me if this
is a fit and proper company to carry out this transaction I am a British
nation and was caught up in a boiler room scam to buy these shares 3
years ago

thank you for your assistance

thanks for your words of wisdom Experienced-it-all. shame i didn't hear them prior to me getting into buying restricted shares in the first place.
but, Letting completly go of them would indeed be a real shame. i am just trying to share my experience with Equity Research Partners now Financial Reaearch Partners, and if there is a way of of not losing the shares completly.
i have contacted the the transfert agent listed on the share certificate. they were very helpful.
here is what is needed to unrestrict the share (from the email i have received back from them):
"
Thank you for your request. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have. Meanwhile, we would require the following documents for the Legend Removal Only pursuant to Rule 144 (Please see Rule 144 Guide):

Original Certificate
Legal Opinion Letter (from legal counsel of the company, or any SEC authorized legal council) *
Seller’s Representation Letter
Original Stock Power with Medallion Guaranteed Signature (A Stock Power may be used in lieu of a Medallion Guaranteed Signature on the back of the Original Certificate. Either is acceptable to complete a transfer) –if it is a transfer (then 5 and 6 apply)
Instructions for transfer
Names, Addresses, and Social Security Numbers of each new Shareholder, phone #, email (if any).
Mailing Instructions

8. Applicable Fees as follows:

- $50.00 to remove the restriction and issue new certificate

- $1.00 to cancel old certificate

- $45.00 for FedEx Priority Overnight or pre-paid way bill by any Courier Service provided by you.
"
the opinion letter can be asked from the company issuing the shares.... i will try that route and let you know of my findings

Well I like your name!You sound like a realist. Welcome to the club.
If you click on my name and read a selection of my posts you should glean a lot of info. On this forum try p 194 post 1545, p 196 post 1564, Also forum "First Step" reply 38, & Forum "Biodiesel of America" post 17. There is also a long one on the previous page.
Basically you are shafted, your chances of getting money back are less than zero. Sorry.

I have derestricted in the past, as far as I can understand it is not automatic at the end of the restriction period, is it 1or 2 years? You can check with the transfer agent, I found them reasonably helpful. Do not pay a fortune for derstriction. I paid $50 for 50000 shares and a new certificate by going direct to the agent, but I have been offered the same service for up to 20c per share by cold callers. Before you even consider this route check the value of the share on the open market, the trading volumes, date of last trade etc., all available on www.pinksheets.com. Also even then find a legitimate trader to deal in the stock. If you get all this in place then I wish you luck. Do come back and tell us how you get on.
If you get any money I would feel confident in saying your are the first. I hope you didn't spend too much money but I think you will just have to right it off. You can put it down as a loss on your tax form! But do not be conned in to throwing good money after bad! If you get a phone call about your shares be assured IT IS A SCAM!

I see you are in the UK. Use a cheap call number to phone overseas. I use Simply Ring 0844 626 0805. I have been on for long periods and saw no change in my phone bill.

Another twist in the Equity Research Partners (Financial Research Advisors as they are now known!) saga.

I have ECOB shares purchased from the thieves ERP. I contacted the legal address on the EcoBlu website, and received and answer telling me that I am indeed on the share register but could I pass on the details of ERP as he needs to confirm some details with them!
1. Should the legal people not have the contact details for ERP?!!!
2. Why are they asking me for those details!
3. is it possible that the legal contact is involved with ERP? Which in turn means EcoBlu are involved in the whole scam! As the contact is on the EcoBlu website.

I'm not sure whats going on with all this, it all seems very screwed up.

Would it be that legal contact that should be able to provide me with the opinion letter to allow the possibility of de-resticting the shares?

Another twist in the Equity Research Partners (Financial Research Advisors as they are now known!) saga.

I have ECOB shares purchased from the thieves ERP. I contacted the legal address on the EcoBlu website, and received and answer telling me that I am indeed on the share register but could I pass on the details of ERP as he needs to confirm some details with them!
1. Should the legal people not have the contact details for ERP?!!!
2. Why are they asking me for those details!
3. is it possible that the legal contact is involved with ERP? Which in turn means EcoBlu are involved in the whole scam! As the contact is on the EcoBlu website.

I'm not sure whats going on with all this, it all seems very screwed up.

Would it be that legal contact that should be able to provide me with the opinion letter to allow the possibility of de-resticting the shares?

When they ask you for their fee up front then you'll be in no doubt. Dont send any of these crooks any more money, they will steal it.